Discussion topic: Screen goes black momentarily then comes back on after a serving of two

This message was authored by HeoffH This message was authored by: HeoffH

Screen goes black momentarily then comes back on after a serving of two

We will be watching Sky Q and the TV screen goes completely black for a second or two then comes back on. This also happens on recordings. I assume it loses signal, then regains it. If we are watching in 4k, when the picture comes back on we get the 'UHD+HDR' Logo in the top right corner which also indicates the signal has disappeared and come back again. It does not happen when using any other input, only with Sky Q.

I'm getting really browned off with Sky Q. I've had it since its launch and had constant issues since. I never had any issues with Sky HD! I'm close to cancelling and I've been a loyal customer for 23 years.. 

Best Answers
HeoffH
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeoffH This message was authored by: HeoffH Answer

Re: Screen goes black momentarily then comes back on after a serving of two

Hi, 

Yes, I solved it myself. I suspected a faulty HDMI lead(original Sky one) and so replaced it with one from my own stock. This worked and the problem has never recurred. I hope this helps.

Kind regards, Geoff. 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HeoffH 

If you log this as a fault with Sky, they'll probably swap out the main Q box.

If it happens with the new box then suspicion shifts to cabling or TV.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Jamielee1990 This message was authored by: Jamielee1990

Did you ever solve this mine is doing same and they've already replaced the box 

HeoffH
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeoffH This message was authored by: HeoffH Answer

Hi, 

Yes, I solved it myself. I suspected a faulty HDMI lead(original Sky one) and so replaced it with one from my own stock. This worked and the problem has never recurred. I hope this helps.

Kind regards, Geoff. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yeah I would suspect cable every time with a problem like that.

This message was authored by Fidget004 This message was authored by: Fidget004

I have switched from 10bit colour to 8bit colour and the black screen has stopped, well so far so good.  However it nows that the likes of Disney, Netflix and Prime apps are only showing as HD and not 4K on the programs/films.  

I also get the bottom of the screen going out of sync, so it looks like a band that is delayed.  When this happens I get them to change the box out and everything works again for a while until needing to change it again.  All this is very frustrating as you lose all your recordings.

If anyone gets a proper solution please let me know.

This message was authored by Dave.G6HNI This message was authored by: Dave.G6HNI

My Q box was updated yesterday and today I am getting a similar 1 second blank screen with no sound, but only on a few channels, including UK Gold, Drama, Alibi so far, but not at all on any BBC, ITV, Ch4 or 5 , or Sky, Legend ?

Also occationally I see what looks like a different chanel breaking through, or when watching a corrupted MP4 file.

Signal Strength = 70, Quality = 90 while watching Drama, also occurs during adverts.

I haven't moved or changed anything

Any suggestions please

This message was authored by Dave.G6HNI This message was authored by: Dave.G6HNI

>>> UPDATE <<<

This drop out had cured itself by the next day and actually occured on the same day as the global Crowdstrike AV issue, so may well have been due to that.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion