Discussion topic: SKY Q connected to old Wifi SSID

This message was authored by Markh1968 This message was authored by: Markh1968

SKY Q connected to old Wifi SSID

Hey All

Recently upgraded my broadband to GigaFast connection and got the new Sky WiFi Max hub. Set up everything ok and all works fine. My Sky Q main box has ethernet connection to the Max hub and one of the Sky Q Minis does as well. They are working fine (at the moment) but when I go into the network settings, it says it is still on the old Wifi Name... I cant figfure out why and if it is why is it still working as the old router is boxed and waiting to be sent back to Sky!! As I say its all working, and could it be it is just using the Ethernet connection and just not telling me?

Cheers folks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung OLED S95B 55", Q930D Q-Series 9.1.4ch Soundbar with Subwoofer and Rear Speakers , Sky Q 1Tb, Gigafast broadband on Sky WiFi Max, PS5 Slim and LOVE building Lego Technic Cars.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: SKY Q connected to old Wifi SSID

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Markh1968 wrote:

Hey All

Recently upgraded my broadband to GigaFast connection and got the new Sky WiFi Max hub. Set up everything ok and all works fine. My Sky Q main box has ethernet connection to the Max hub and one of the Sky Q Minis does as well. They are working fine (at the moment) but when I go into the network settings, it says it is still on the old Wifi Name... I cant figfure out why and if it is why is it still working as the old router is boxed and waiting to be sent back to Sky!! As I say its all working, and could it be it is just using the Ethernet connection and just not telling me?

Cheers folks!

Hi @Markh1968 

Invariably the SSID in the Q box settings will show the Sky SSID for the Sky Q mesh generated by the Q boxes.

Markh1968
Topic Author

Thanks for your reply. So the ShQ boxes will be on their own network and the name of that will be the old network name? I guess if its working then dont touch it will be the way forward 🙂 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung OLED S95B 55", Q930D Q-Series 9.1.4ch Soundbar with Subwoofer and Rear Speakers , Sky Q 1Tb, Gigafast broadband on Sky WiFi Max, PS5 Slim and LOVE building Lego Technic Cars.
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Markh1968 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. So the ShQ boxes will be on their own network and the name of that will be the old network name? I guess if its working then dont touch it will be the way forward 🙂 

Hi @Markh1968 

The main Q box will be on the router Network but is still can display the  Q mesh ID.

As you say

if it ain't broke don't fix it

This message was authored by Bontfaen This message was authored by: Bontfaen

Was this issue ever resolved? It would be helpful to know as I've got a sky engineer calling this afternoon.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

There wasn't anything to resolve

I assume you have a real problem though as you have an engineer coming?

Markh1968
Topic Author

Yes thanks. i have left well alone as everything is working ok. I had a 1 meg virgin media connection before I moved house, and have noticed that whislt this is a 900MG connection it is a lot slower than Virgin Media and especially the WiFi. Seems to me the Virgin Media hub is better than the Sky Max one, in my opinon.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Markh1968 wrote:

Yes thanks. i have left well alone as everything is working ok. I had a 1 meg virgin media connection before I moved house, and have noticed that whislt this is a 900MG connection it is a lot slower than Virgin Media and especially the WiFi. Seems to me the Virgin Media hub is better than the Sky Max one, in my opinon.

What do you get if you use speedtest.net on a wired connection?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion