Discussion topic: Q mini box wont reconnect after powering off

This message was authored by brid+dave This message was authored by: brid+dave

Q mini box wont reconnect after powering off

i've got a mini box connected to my main box (1TB) by ethernet cable and i've disabled the wifi 2.4 and 5ghz in the hidden menu to avoid any conflicts over connectivity.

Every thing works perfectly well except if i switch off the mini box at the wall, after restarting the mini box it will not reconnect automatically to my main box - i give it plenty of time but if refuses to reconnect automatically.... the only way i can get the mini box to reconnect without going through the whole setup procedure again is to reboot my main box then within a couple of minutes the mini box will reconnect....

the software on both boxes is up to date, all i can think is that it's an hardware issue with my main box and the fact that it's about 6 years old ....

any thoughts on the above would be most welcome THX.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Q mini box wont reconnect after powering off

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @brid+dave .

When you connect a mini by Ethernet it's important to carry out a Network reset as follows.

Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in mini box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side.  Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go immediately into the mini box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

brid+dave
Topic Author

@oldfella  carried out the instructions above and it still will not reconnect after turning the power off at the mini box, it will only reconnect if i power down my main box then switch that back on .....

ethernet connection works perfectly well once it is reconnected....

i can't think beyond a problem with the main box and how it shares its connectivity over ethernet ..... like i say it must be circa 6 years old and an early box, the software is up to date but you can't do anything about the hardware

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@brid+dave wrote:

@oldfella  carried out the instructions above and it still will not reconnect after turning the power off at the mini box, it will only reconnect if i power down my main box then switch that back on .....

ethernet connection works perfectly well once it is reconnected....

i can't think beyond a problem with the main box and how it shares its connectivity over ethernet ..... like i say it must be circa 6 years old and an early box, the software is up to date but you can't do anything about the hardware

Hi @brid+dave 

Fail to understand why you are turning the mini box power off at the wall.

Boxes are intended to be left in Standby when not in use.

brid+dave
Topic Author

in the long term it will be left switched on, i'm just trying to get it set up so i don't have to go through the rebooting of the main box  (interupting viewing on the main box) .....

in the area that i live we suffer frequent power cuts, all be it only seconds it's enough to cause this issue.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion