Discussion topic: Price hike so want to reduce package

This message was authored by Tr1ckyTr3v This message was authored by: Tr1ckyTr3v

Price hike so want to reduce package

Hi all,

New to this community so will try and give as much detail as I can!

Sky Q box

x3 mini hubs in kids rooms and master bedroom

Ultimate TV
Sky Sports HD
Sky Signature
Sky Sports
Sky Cinema
Sky HD
Multiscreen
Ultra HD

Talk anytime

Ultrafast broadband (150mb) with x2 boosters

I think thats about it 🙂

Price was £117 but jumping to £163 today and then £185 next month. 

I have called the retention team to query this but not getting anywhere as their new best price after about 10 years on hold was £169 ... they are citing "legacy Netflix pricing and price hike for April being to blame"

Obviously I'm not hanging about to pay this so will be off when contract is up on the 6th March. 

Question is, if I drop to the basic freeview £20 a month that was offered yesterday is that applicable to all the mini boxes too or does something else need to happen to keep these "live".

(Also, the wifi has always been rubbish despite the two boosters but will be sticking with this for another couple of months until that contract is up in May but thats by the by).

Any hints / tips / tricks to keep the tv's running (albeit on Freeview (but all tvs are 'smart')) gratefully received.

Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Price hike so want to reduce package

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tr1ckyTr3v 

Note it's not 'Freeview' (which is digital terrestrial television broadcast from a mast and received through an aerial) : it's Free To Air satellite service received though the dish.  Confusingly, this is not quite the same as 'Freesat'

Subscribing to 'TV Essentials' used to cause Mini box use to cease, but this appears to have changed.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Tr1ckyTr3v wrote:

Obviously I'm not hanging about to pay this so will be off when contract is up on the 6th March. 

Unless you've given notice already to leave then you're not 'off'.  You have to give 31 days notice for TV and 14 for broadband.

Question is, if I drop to the basic freeview £20 a month that was offered yesterday is that applicable to all the mini boxes too or does something else need to happen to keep these "live".

Any hints / tips / tricks to keep the tv's running (albeit on Freeview (but all tvs are 'smart')) gratefully received.

You'd have to check if you move to essentials whether this includes multiroom (I believe they are offering that now).  A convenient, but still expensive way of watching freeview.

There's no neat solution for distributing freeview around the house - Q is good at this.  You can change the master box for a FreeSat 4K box.  You'd have to look at whether the other TV's can view what you want via Apps - or install aerials...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Tr1ckyTr3v 

Subscribing to 'TV Essentials' used to cause Mini box use to cease, but this appears to have changed.

It seems so - but a multiroom sub will be required too.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Tr1ckyTr3v wrote:

Hi all,

New to this community so will try and give as much detail as I can!

Sky Q box

x3 mini hubs in kids rooms and master bedroom

Ultimate TV
Sky Sports HD
Sky Signature
Sky Sports
Sky Cinema
Sky HD
Multiscreen
Ultra HD

Talk anytime

Ultrafast broadband (150mb) with x2 boosters

I think thats about it 🙂

Price was £117 but jumping to £163 today and then £185 next month. 

I have called the retention team to query this but not getting anywhere as their new best price after about 10 years on hold was £169 ... they are citing "legacy Netflix pricing and price hike for April being to blame"

(Also, the wifi has always been rubbish despite the two boosters but will be sticking with this for another couple of months until that contract is up in May but thats by the by).

Thanks.

@Tr1ckyTr3v as @TimmyBGood and @PandJ2020 have said the Essentials package only includes the main box to add the mini boxes to this you still need the multiscreen package which is currently £15 un discounted and obviously will go up in ther April price increases but still considerably less than what you are currently paying 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

If money is tight and you already have smart TVs in your other rooms then it's worth remembering that most, if not all, content from Freesat is available for free via apps. 

You can stream live BBC channels on iPlayer, live ITV channels on ITVX, live Channel 4, etc, as well as all the catch-up content all at no cost.

Paying for Sky Essentials is only really worthwhile if you cannot live without recording capability.  

Tr1ckyTr3v
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tr1ckyTr3v This message was authored by: Tr1ckyTr3v

Thanks all - essentially I'm just looking to keep the same mini boxes operational and the keep the wifi (which has taken an age to get working properly) but understand I'll have to keep the Q box running minimal services. 

Basically just looking for best advice/practice on this as don't really have much of a clue on these things.   

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

And do you feel like you have that answered now?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion