Reply

Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Answered
Go to Answer
Reply
Oracle
Posts: 8,293
Post 106 of 737
583 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Hi @Andym15 I have just downloaded Billions and I see no flicker or issues on the splash screen as you describe. If you want Sky to investigate then you need to upload evidence of this otherwise there is nothing Sky can do for you. 


It's very evident, we're not making this up!


Hi @keithwhitcomb No one is saying you are making it up but it would help if you uploaded some evidence so Sky can see what issue you are having. 


Hi @Dazzasky

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate you're trying to help and thank you very much for that.

The problem is that my camera resolution is so poor (grainy) that it overides the flickering problem (just tried to vidoe it) and therefore won't anywhere near represent what I'm seeing in "real life". Factor in the transferance of the image to the quality of the computer screen you are viewing from and I can't provide "evidence" you've suggested. However, assuming our collective eyesights arn't failing us, this flickering is happening on different tv models in SkyQ UHD, but is not an epidemic failure as I assume, Sky would've been able to recognise this, therefore I can only suggest that individual SKYQ boxes are failing....unless I'm missing something?


Hi @keithwhitcomb Its not my suggestion that people upload videos that comes from Sky themselves and I appreciate that a video upload may not show what you are experiencing in real life. All you can do is book an engineer to see what they say and in the event they swap over the Q box and it happens again then that would suggest that your tv is at fault. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Sound Designer
Posts: 193
Post 107 of 737
570 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe that’s way to many makes of tv to suggest the fault is with the Tv the only common denominator is they all seem to be version1 boxes 

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 88
Post 108 of 737
568 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Hi @Andym15 I have just downloaded Billions and I see no flicker or issues on the splash screen as you describe. If you want Sky to investigate then you need to upload evidence of this otherwise there is nothing Sky can do for you. 


It's very evident, we're not making this up!


Hi @keithwhitcomb No one is saying you are making it up but it would help if you uploaded some evidence so Sky can see what issue you are having. 


Hi @Dazzasky

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate you're trying to help and thank you very much for that.

The problem is that my camera resolution is so poor (grainy) that it overides the flickering problem (just tried to vidoe it) and therefore won't anywhere near represent what I'm seeing in "real life". Factor in the transferance of the image to the quality of the computer screen you are viewing from and I can't provide "evidence" you've suggested. However, assuming our collective eyesights arn't failing us, this flickering is happening on different tv models in SkyQ UHD, but is not an epidemic failure as I assume, Sky would've been able to recognise this, therefore I can only suggest that individual SKYQ boxes are failing....unless I'm missing something?


Hi @keithwhitcomb Its not my suggestion that people upload videos that comes from Sky themselves and I appreciate that a video upload may not show what you are experiencing in real life. All you can do is book an engineer to see what they say and in the event they swap over the Q box and it happens again then that would suggest that your tv is at fault. 


Hi @Dazzasky......which is exactly what I've done, but no dates are available for a Sky engineer to visit as yet! That will of course be the acid test, whether a new box solves the problem!

Camera Operator
Posts: 300
Post 109 of 737
551 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

@keithwhitcomb Hi, if they change out to a V2 box the problem may well be resolved as no one so far with a V2 box has seen the issue I don’t think; to test properly the engineer needs to change like for like, ie V1 for V1, does he/she not? 😉🙂

 

PS You would knock me down with a feather if it was your TV😂😂

Director of Photography
Posts: 1,639
Post 110 of 737
542 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@woppy1 wrote:

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe that’s way to many makes of tv to suggest the fault is with the Tv the only common denominator is they all seem to be version1 boxes 


@woppy1

Unlikely but also not inconceivable that the Q box, possibly as a result of the last FW update, is somehow causing damage to the TV sets.  If that is a possibility Sky might be advised to fix this asap or more customers may require replacement sets.  Now there's something to concentrate the minds at Sky Towers Smiley Frustrated

Managing Editor
Posts: 893
Post 111 of 737
539 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@woppy1 wrote:

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe 


LG 43UK6300PLB 4K UHD V2 box no issues with watching live content downloaded content pausing rewinding fast forward all in glorious 4k UHD

Camera Operator
Posts: 300
Post 112 of 737
533 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@best+of+the+best wrote:

@woppy1 wrote:

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe 


LG 43UK6300PLB 4K UHD V2 box no issues with watching live content downloaded content pausing rewinding fast forward all in glorious 4k UHD


Ahh, you splendid person, another user who has no problems with a V2 box😉

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 88
Post 113 of 737
529 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@bucket57 wrote:

@keithwhitcomb Hi, if they change out to a V2 box the problem may well be resolved as no one so far with a V2 box has seen the issue I don’t think; to test properly the engineer needs to change like for like, ie V1 for V1, does he/she not? 😉🙂

 

PS You would knock me down with a feather if it was your TV😂😂


TBH, before I joined this thread I didn't even know there was a V1 and V2 SkyQ box, just shows how much I know! What I do know is this flickering is very distracting and needs to be sorted! No doubt I'll be lucky to see and Sky engineer this side of xmas!Smiley LOL

Oracle
Posts: 8,293
Post 114 of 737
527 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@woppy1 wrote:

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe that’s way to many makes of tv to suggest the fault is with the Tv the only common denominator is they all seem to be version1 boxes 


Except Sky tested on the reported TVs, boxes and firmware and could not replicate the problem. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Director of Photography
Posts: 1,639
Post 115 of 737
517 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@woppy1 wrote:

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe that’s way to many makes of tv to suggest the fault is with the Tv the only common denominator is they all seem to be version1 boxes 


Except Sky tested on the reported TVs, boxes and firmware and could not replicate the problem. 


@Dazzasky  Age of and 'mileage' on the box possibly.   Obviously I've got no idea anymore than the next person so just throwing possibilities into the hat.

Camera Operator
Posts: 300
Post 116 of 737
509 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@woppy1 wrote:

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe that’s way to many makes of tv to suggest the fault is with the Tv the only common denominator is they all seem to be version1 boxes 


Except Sky tested on the reported TVs, boxes and firmware and could not replicate the problem. 


All we know is they tested on 2 TVs with one film, IT, so we have no idea how much testing they have actually done and the speed of the response makes me think not very much. I would like to see more detail on these tests they have done 😉

EG how long did they run the tests, what environment (light, dark),  how many V1 boxes did they try...

Oracle
Posts: 8,293
Post 117 of 737
507 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@woppy1 wrote:

There are to many different makes of tv affected for it to be the TV at fault, in this thread alone people affected own LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Loewe that’s way to many makes of tv to suggest the fault is with the Tv the only common denominator is they all seem to be version1 boxes 


Except Sky tested on the reported TVs, boxes and firmware and could not replicate the problem. 


@Dazzasky  Age of and 'mileage' on the box possibly.   Obviously I've got no idea anymore than the next person so just throwing possibilities into the hat.


You could well be right, who knows?  The only way is to get an engineer out to take a look an take it from there. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Sound Designer
Posts: 40
Post 118 of 737
499 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

@Morgan+McDonnellI don't think any damage has been done to the TV's concerned by the Sky Q box.  The first thing I did when I noticed the issue was to try another HDMI device (Oppp 203) playing non HDR UHD content using the same picture settings and HDMI connection as Sky Q and no flickering was present.  

Director of Photography
Posts: 1,639
Post 119 of 737
489 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@thumbs83 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnellI don't think any damage has been done to the TV's concerned by the Sky Q box.  The first thing I did when I noticed the issue was to try another HDMI device (Oppp 203) playing non HDR UHD content using the same picture settings and HDMI connection as Sky Q and no flickering was present.  


@thumbs83   That's cool.  I actually don't have this issue..........................yet!   Just kicking ideas about wiff me bud's like innit  Smiley Happy

Researcher
Posts: 7
Post 120 of 737
423 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

I've noticed this issue on my Sky Q box on LG B6. I've only noticed it on the UHD downloads.

 

Here is a video I made of the issue from IT paused:-

 

Reply