Reply

Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Answered
Go to Answer
Reply
Executive Producer
Posts: 4,036
Post 91 of 737
579 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

The V1 box (the one with the internal power unit) does run quite hot, some people have complained that they are too hot to touch but I have not found that. The V2 box (external power unit) is warm rather than hot but the power unit is as hot as the V1 box.

Sound Designer
Posts: 193
Post 92 of 737
570 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

You need to try it in a dark environment, it wouldnt show in a bright room 

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 102
Post 93 of 737
558 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 

Sound Designer
Posts: 40
Post 94 of 737
550 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Sky tech have clearly not been able to recreate the problem.  They surely would be able to be more thorough in their testing than any of us could be and if we can see it they would surely be able to see it.  It's clearly a problem with individual boxes and that needs checking first.  Someone needs their box swapping to see if the issue is corrected.  We will then know if these boxes are faulty.

Runner
Posts: 3
Post 95 of 737
473 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Hi all, stumbled across this thread as have been having the exact issue since watching IT over the weekend.  We watched war of the planet of the apes a couple of weeks ago which was fine then but now flickers/pulse after re-downloading to check, I believe we have a v1 box.

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 88
Post 96 of 737
461 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Just downloaded Billions in UHD and I agree, the Sky Atlantic splash screen gives an excellent example of this flickering problem. Just did a direct comparison of "IT" "Atomic Blonde"  in UHD v HD, and the flickering is evident in UHD and not HD! Flickering evident even on pause! Arranging for engineer visit, but told there arn't any dates, so customer services have requested a date (doesn't sound promising to get this sorted any time soon)!

Oracle
Posts: 8,293
Post 97 of 737
454 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Hi @Andym15 I have just downloaded Billions and I see no flicker or issues on the splash screen as you describe. If you want Sky to investigate then you need to upload evidence of this otherwise there is nothing Sky can do for you. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Sound Designer
Posts: 193
Post 98 of 737
445 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

What version box are you using and what TV? It’s very hard to capture, so I will just let the sky workman come out and see it then he can escalate it.

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 88
Post 99 of 737
434 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Hi @Andym15 I have just downloaded Billions and I see no flicker or issues on the splash screen as you describe. If you want Sky to investigate then you need to upload evidence of this otherwise there is nothing Sky can do for you. 


It's very evident, we're not making this up!

Oracle
Posts: 8,293
Post 100 of 737
420 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Hi @Andym15 I have just downloaded Billions and I see no flicker or issues on the splash screen as you describe. If you want Sky to investigate then you need to upload evidence of this otherwise there is nothing Sky can do for you. 


It's very evident, we're not making this up!


Hi @keithwhitcomb No one is saying you are making it up but it would help if you uploaded some evidence so Sky can see what issue you are having. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Sound Designer
Posts: 40
Post 101 of 737
408 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

I don't understand the difficulty here.

 

Sky tech have not seen the issue when using an LG E6 and C8 oled TV.

 

Sky customers have seen the issue when using LG E6 and C8 oled TV and other types of TV.

 

Sky customers have been able to check to see where the problem is coming from and it seems to be their Sky Q box.

 

If the same equipment is not showing the same results then it seems to me that the only way forward is for an engineer to have a look at a Sky Q box that exhibits the problem and work from there.

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 102
Post 102 of 737
382 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Hi @Andym15 I have just downloaded Billions and I see no flicker or issues on the splash screen as you describe. If you want Sky to investigate then you need to upload evidence of this otherwise there is nothing Sky can do for you. 


I will try a video later. It’s pointless attempting it in daylight. Even then I very much doubt an iPad camera is going to be up to the task, let alone the compression involved in uploading it.

What do you suggest as an alternative if it’s not captured by a video?

 

@thumbs83

I agree with you. A new box is the next logical step. There is no evidence, other than this, that my box is failing though, so I’m letting the dust settle for a day or two. If the problem isn’t identified this week I will book an engineers visit.

Camera Operator
Posts: 300
Post 103 of 737
378 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Kei+M wrote:

Hi folks,

 

We're not seeing this - we've tried IT on a LG C8 and LG E6 (both outlined in this thread) with both Sky Q box versions using the current Sky Q box software. Any chance someone can upload a video of this?

 

Thanks,


Hello @Kei+M How do I upload a video please?

Camera Operator
Posts: 300
Post 104 of 737
350 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@thumbs83 wrote:

Sky tech have clearly not been able to recreate the problem.  They surely would be able to be more thorough in their testing than any of us could be and if we can see it they would surely be able to see it.  It's clearly a problem with individual boxes and that needs checking first.  Someone needs their box swapping to see if the issue is corrected.  We will then know if these boxes are faulty.


Hi,

Not disagreeing with you @thumbs83 but a number of V1 boxes all failing at the same time with exactly the same problem and with a specific subset ie UHD seems a massive coincidence to me; like many others here this issue has only arisen after the latest firmware roll out. Still, I have been (ever so) wrong in the past😂 and what you are suggesting is a logical step in locating this “feature”😉

Regards,

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 88
Post 105 of 737
325 Views

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies


@Dazzasky wrote:

@keithwhitcomb wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@Andym15 wrote:

@Kei+M

Thanks for the update. I’m not doubting what you have said, but I want to make sure.

I will have to leave video uploads to someone else unfortunately, but in my attempts to resolve this, I have found a very easy way to see the problem.

The Sky Atlantic blue splash screen at the start of UHD versions of Billions clearly shows this flicker, pulsing, oscillations or whatever it actually is. Pausing the picture helps as it gives plenty of time to study the effect and it’s visible in a bright room if you get close to the screen.

Any chance you could double check? Thanks.

 


Hi @Andym15 I have just downloaded Billions and I see no flicker or issues on the splash screen as you describe. If you want Sky to investigate then you need to upload evidence of this otherwise there is nothing Sky can do for you. 


It's very evident, we're not making this up!


Hi @keithwhitcomb No one is saying you are making it up but it would help if you uploaded some evidence so Sky can see what issue you are having. 


Hi @Dazzasky

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate you're trying to help and thank you very much for that.

The problem is that my camera resolution is so poor (grainy) that it overides the flickering problem (just tried to vidoe it) and therefore won't anywhere near represent what I'm seeing in "real life". Factor in the transferance of the image to the quality of the computer screen you are viewing from and I can't provide "evidence" you've suggested. However, assuming our collective eyesights arn't failing us, this flickering is happening on different tv models in SkyQ UHD, but is not an epidemic failure as I assume, Sky would've been able to recognise this, therefore I can only suggest that individual SKYQ boxes are failing....unless I'm missing something?

Reply