Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 556 of 584

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Still sufffering with grainy picture HD on replacent V2 box. Have an engineer coming next week to have a look but I don’t hold out much hope. The sky technical help desk didn’t even know there were different boxes. 

Managing Editor
Post 557 of 584

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Still sufffering with grainy picture HD on replacent V2 box. Have an engineer coming next week to have a look but I don’t hold out much hope. The sky technical help desk didn’t even know there were different boxes. 

Hi What tv make and model do you have?

Boom Operator
Post 558 of 584

@Quoman7 wrote:

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

LG oled55b7v

Managing Editor
Post 559 of 584

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

@Quoman7 wrote:

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

LG oled55b7v

Having looked at your user manual for your tv, have you tried in picture options "setting super resolution to on"

as this makes a dim and blurred picture clearer.

And is your tv software the current one which was rolled out last month, version 04.70.95

Hope this helps?

Runner
Post 560 of 584

@Kei+M wrote:

So some good news on this front, we've been able to identify the cause of this and we're planning changes in a future update. In the meantime we've found that tweaking TV settings such as turning on noise reduction (as pointed out by some of the previous members) will help to resolve or minimise this.

Thanks,

Hi, it's good news that SKY say they have identified the problem and are working on a fix. When will this fix be made available and will you inform us on this forum when the fix is available?

I'm paying for SKY's top package and just spent a fortune on this LG 4K TV and so I'm very frustrated that I'm effectively unable to watch UHD films on SKY.

I have a SKY V1 box which has the issue. As I understand it the SKY V2 box does not have the problem. I have been a SKY Q customer for 3 years and I'm not currently under contract. I phoned up and explained the problem and that a solution is to upgrade to a V2 box, they refused to replace my V1 box with a V2 box. I think given they admit it is an issue and the only current fix is to replace the box, this is something SKY should have done. Instead of this, I am currently paying for a service I'm not receiving.

Runner
Post 561 of 584

@Kei+M wrote:

So some good news on this front, we've been able to identify the cause of this and we're planning changes in a future update. In the meantime we've found that tweaking TV settings such as turning on noise reduction (as pointed out by some of the previous members) will help to resolve or minimise this.

Thanks,

Hi, it's good news that SKY say they have identified the problem and are working on a fix. When will this fix be made available and will you inform us on this forum when the fix is available?

I'm paying for SKY's top package and just spent a fortune on this LG 4K TV and so I'm very frustrated that I'm effectively unable to watch UHD films on SKY.

I have a SKY V1 box which has the issue. As I understand it the SKY V2 box does not have the problem. I have been a SKY Q customer for 3 years and I'm not currently under contract. I phoned up and explained the problem and that a solution is to upgrade to a V2 box, they refused to replace my V1 box with a V2 box. I think given they admit it is an issue and the only current fix is to replace the box, this is something SKY should have done. Instead of this, I am currently paying for a service I'm not receiving.

Camera Assistant
Post 562 of 584

@SI2321 wrote:

@Kei+M wrote:

Thanks,

Set your LG TV's noise reduction to low. It should clear the flickering without the need for a box swap.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Runner
Post 563 of 584

Hi, thanks for the advice - I might try that in the short term, but I currently have my noise reduction set to 'off' as I want to watch films as intended with the least post processing by the TV as possible. I have noise reduction set to 'off' to watch my 4K Blurays and they have no flickering, so it is just a problem with the Sky 4K Films. I'm glad SKY have found out what the problem is, I just hope they keep us up to date with their progress finding a solution and up to date with when it will be implemented, and that will it be fixed quickly.

Camera Assistant
Post 564 of 584

@SI2321 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the advice - I might try that in the short term, but I currently have my noise reduction set to 'off' as I want to watch films as intended with the least post processing by the TV as possible. I have noise reduction set to 'off' to watch my 4K Blurays and they have no flickering, so it is just a problem with the Sky 4K Films. I'm glad SKY have found out what the problem is, I just hope they keep us up to date with their progress finding a solution and up to date with when it will be implemented, and that will it be fixed quickly.

I have mine set to low and I do not notice any difference. I think you won't notice any difference as well.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Sound Designer
Post 565 of 584

On my Sony XE90 using noise reduction made no difference. Interesting!

Waiting for this fix... hoping it comes before the start of the season.

Runner
Post 566 of 584

Hi, I've just tried adding noise reduction (in all settings up to high) and it's made no difference to the flickering in the blacks. The flickering even occurs when the SKY box is paused. I hope the update from SKY when it comes fixes this as it makes 4K UHD films unwatchable.

It's very frustrating that it seems there is a current solution (to get a V2 box) but SKY will not allow me this. It seems the only current solution for me might be to cancel my SKY subscription (since I am out of contract) and then rejoin and hopefully get sent a new V2 box?

Researcher
Post 567 of 584

I also have this flickering issue it is annoying & sky should reduce our subscription to £6 a month from £12 until the problem is fixed the 4k is not fit for purpose. It is like led clouding & backlight bleed. I have a Panasonic 50cx802b & noise reduction makes no difference.

Researcher
Post 568 of 584

Ok, so it's been two weeks since they have said a fix is on the way. Either they update us to say when it is due or i want a V2 box. They made a big fuss about only renting this equipment, so engineer call outs would be free. They are refusing to swap V1 for V2. So if the firmware is broken, issue V2 boxs now and install V1 boxes to new customers when the firmware is fixed. I'll give it two weeks then ask for a V2 box. Being out of contract might help!

Managing Editor
Post 569 of 584

@SI2321 wrote:

Hi, I've just tried adding noise reduction (in all settings up to high) and it's made no difference to the flickering in the blacks. The flickering even occurs when the SKY box is paused. I hope the update from SKY when it comes fixes this as it makes 4K UHD films unwatchable.

It's very frustrating that it seems there is a current solution (to get a V2 box) but SKY will not allow me this. It seems the only current solution for me might be to cancel my SKY subscription (since I am out of contract) and then rejoin and hopefully get sent a new V2 box?

@SI2321 If you cancel your Sky subscription and rejoin you still have to return your Sky Q box and any Mini boxes you may have before they send out a new ones

Plus Sky Q main boxes aren't self install so you will be paying for engineer visit and the cost of a new Sky Q box and Minibox if you took advantage of the free 2TB box and install 

Don't be surprised if you are asked to pay an upfront cost of £199 - £249 just to get a V2 box

Managing Editor
Post 570 of 584

@kane000 wrote:

I also have this flickering issue it is annoying & sky should reduce our subscription to £6 a month from £12 until the problem is fixed the 4k is not fit for purpose. It is like led clouding & backlight bleed. I have a Panasonic 50cx802b & noise reduction makes no difference.

Hi Having looked at you user manual, have you checked these settings:- HDCP setting set to auto, and HDMI auto setting set to mode 1 for when 4k image is not displaying properly?