Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Answered
Go to Answer
Sound Designer
Post 16 of 737

Re: Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies

Its all the way through the movie but it’s easier to spot right at the start and at the end in the dark scenes and I have downloaded the HD version and the is no flicker what so ever 

Camera Assistant
Post 17 of 737

@woppy1 wrote:

Well this is strange, I have just gone through all the uhd recordings I have recorded and on only one is there not any flicker which was Annabelle creation, all the others have flicker, the blacklist, war for the planet of the apes, transformers, 2012, IT, alien covenant and Wonder Woman. I think a call to Sky is definitely in order tomorrow.

I have watched War for the Planet of the Apes, Alien Covenant, Wonder Woman, and The Blacklist in UHD all without any flicker. So yes, it is a good idea to contact Sky about your flickering problem.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Camera Operator
Post 18 of 737

Watched Wonder Woman and Covenant when they first came out and no flicker. Downloaded them again and flicker is now there.🤔 Also have both on Apple 4k TV, no problems with those🙂

Regards,

Researcher
Post 19 of 737

I've experienced the same problem this evening whilst watching IT. I haven't noticed it before whilst watching other UHD films on sky Q. It seems a little odd that a few people have only just started having the problem today.

Sound Supervisor
Post 20 of 737

It seems to be everything in UHD, but stands out more on movies like IT.

Every UHD recording I have flickers now and the really strange aspect is that they keep flickering even when the movie is paused. I expected it to just stop, but pausing makes no difference, the flickering keeps going just the same as when the movie is playing.

i also noticed it during F1 qualifying earlier, it was difficult to see, but again pausing at the right time made it visible.

Because pausing doesn’t stop it I suspect it’s not the movie or programme, but some glitch in a recent box firmware.

Mine is Q071.000.29.00L and is very recent. Could that be the culprit?

Sound Designer
Post 21 of 737

I wonder if it’s something to do with the new Q update that came out a week or so ago, but there is something definitely not right, it looks to me like it’s been sent out in the wrong frequency.

Sound Designer
Post 22 of 737

I have this UHD problem too and have an engineer coming to look at it.  It seems to be not content related as I have been downloading Billions in UHD since it started and have them on my hard drive and they have the flicker.  When I watched them a few weeks ago they were fine.  The other thing I noticed when I changed the HDMI lead, to check if it was that, the lead was very hot when I pulled it out of the Sky Q box after only 2-3 minutes.  I don't know if this is normal?

As others have said I think it could be down to the latest firmware that I got this week.  If it is could it be that it is troubling only a handful of boxes?  If so I hope that a new box will sort it.

I contacted Sky on 03300 412 639.  I told them I had powered the Sky Q box off, tried a different HDMI lead and in all 4 connections on my TV but still get the flicker in UHD content.  They were happy to send an engineer out with this information.

Researcher
Post 23 of 737

Engineer now booked. The chap at Sky hadn't heard of this issue before. They suggested the forced software update which didn't resolve the problem.

Sound Designer
Post 24 of 737

Just watching the Tennis in UHD Live (not recorded) on Eurosport and I get the same flicker as on other UHD content so it looks like it isn't just UHD that is played from hard drive that is affected.

Sound Supervisor
Post 25 of 737

@thumbs83 wrote:

Just watching the Tennis in UHD Live (not recorded) on Eurosport and I get the same flicker as on other UHD content so it looks like it isn't just UHD that is played from hard drive that is affected.

Same here. The colour of the clay makes it very obvious.

Just to be certain, I’ve switched to the HD coverage and there is no flicker at all.

It has to be a firmware glitch doesn’t it?

Oracle
Post 26 of 737

@thumbs83 wrote:

Hi @thumbs83 How often are you getting flicker because I am currently watching this and do not get any?

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Sound Designer
Post 27 of 737

It's pretty constant flicker on the tennis in UHD. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 28 of 737

@Dazzasky wrote:

@thumbs83 wrote:

Hi @thumbs83 How often are you getting flicker because I am currently watching this and do not get any?

@Dazzasky Has your box updated to  Q071.000.29.00L yet? If not it would definitely point to a firmware issue.

Sound Designer
Post 29 of 737

It has to be something to do with the latest firmware update as I have just checked a pre recorded football match I have saved in uhd and it’s flickering like hell and that’s not something I would have missed when watching football as it’s the main thing I watch 

Oracle
Post 30 of 737

@Andym15 wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@thumbs83 wrote:

@Dazzasky Has your box updated to  Q071.000.29.00L yet? If not it would definitely point to a firmware issue.

Yes I am running the latest software update and have no flicker. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com