Discussion topic: Poor sound quality from Sky Q box

This message was authored by Fi60 This message was authored by: Fi60

Poor sound quality from Sky Q box

The sound quality when watching Sky has recently become poor.  We have had to turn the volume up a lot and and mostly this does not make a difference; talking and music drowns out the talking; people talking outside sound like they are in a box; voices can have an echo and music can sound tinny and also talking sound can go up and down. This applies to anything on Sky.  I have checked the tv sound to check that was the problem and the sound settings on Sky.  This does  not affect the Sky mini box.  I have turned it off at the mains but maybe it needs me to do something to the box.  However I am not sure what to do. Any advice? F

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Poor sound quality from Sky Q box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Fi60 wrote:

The sound quality when watching Sky has recently become poor.  We have had to turn the volume up a lot and and mostly this does not make a difference; talking and music drowns out the talking; people talking outside sound like they are in a box; voices can have an echo and music can sound tinny and also talking sound can go up and down. This applies to anything on Sky.  I have checked the tv sound to check that was the problem and the sound settings on Sky.  This does  not affect the Sky mini box.  I have turned it off at the mains but maybe it needs me to do something to the box.  However I am not sure what to do. Any advice? F

hi @Fi60 

What setting do you have in :

Home - Settings - Setup - Audio Visual
Digital audio output HDMI

If it is set to Dolby Digital can you try setting it to Normal

Fi60
Topic Author
This message was authored by Fi60 This message was authored by: Fi60

Setting is normal as recommended.

This message was authored by Vince64 This message was authored by: Vince64

Iv been having problems with the sound quality, especially vocal, I turn it up to here the speaking then get blasted when music hits and I have to quickly turn it down, so I'm constantly playing this game of volume up, volume down....

I find if anything I want to watch on sky, if I can get the program on another format like Amazon prime, Disney etc.... I find the sound quality is so much better.. to be honest once my contract is up I will be changing... so in a nutshell if you can watch on prime, Disney, Netflix, bbc, britbox then you will get a better sound quality...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion