Discussion topic: Pixellated/no picture on some channels, others good

This message was authored by Andy.C.Clark This message was authored by: Andy.C.Clark

Pixellated/no picture on some channels, others good

In bad weather Sky Sports channels, such as 400, 402, 404 are often pixellated and sometimes non-existent (the blue screen saying a problem with satellite signal), whereas channels like 101, 102, 104 are just fine.  My dish is admittedly pointing at a tree, which is in leaf and I notice that thsi problem is worse in windy weather when the tree is waving about.  But... why does this affect only certain channels and not others?  It doesn't make sense to me, so I'm thinking maybe the problem is not the tree.  In better weather the reception is good on all channels.  PS. I'm going to have the tree pruned.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Pixellated/no picture on some channels, others good

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Andy.C.Clark wrote:

In bad weather Sky Sports channels, such as 400, 402, 404 are often pixellated and sometimes non-existent (the blue screen saying a problem with satellite signal), whereas channels like 101, 102, 104 are just fine.  My dish is admittedly pointing at a tree, which is in leaf and I notice that thsi problem is worse in windy weather when the tree is waving about.  But... why does this affect only certain channels and not others?  It doesn't make sense to me, so I'm thinking maybe the problem is not the tree.  In better weather the reception is good on all channels.  PS. I'm going to have the tree pruned.

Hi @Andy.C.Clark 

Adverse weather conditions will always affect the Satellite's signal in varying ways.

The weakest channel signals will be affected first.

In heavy cloud and storms it's not unusual to lose the signal completely on all channels.

The issue will be compounded if you also have vegitation or trees limiting the signal

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Andy.C.Clark wrote:

Hi @Andy.C.Clark 

Adverse weather conditions will always affect the Satellite's signal in varying ways.

The weakest channel signals will be affected first.

In heavy cloud and storms it's not unusual to lose the signal completely on all channels.

The issue will be compounded if you also have vegitation or trees limiting the signal

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Each channel is on a different frequency (actually a few channels on each, mutiplexed) and adverse effects will cause problems to certain frequencies and not others.

Andy.C.Clark
Topic Author
This message was authored by Andy.C.Clark This message was authored by: Andy.C.Clark

Thanks for the replies - I guess my assumption was that all channels have the same signal strength.  Which is not the case.  Because of this problem  was thinking of switching to Sky Stream as I have good fibre broadband, but not being able to record is a big disadvantage., so will get that tree (a sliver maple) trimmed.   Thanks again.

This message was authored by 1Melrose This message was authored by: 1Melrose

We unfortunately have the same issue, but without a tree in the way. 404 HD Cricket has no signal,  however 401 UHD the cricket is currently perfect. Same issues between HD and UHD F1 feed today and yesterday.

Andy.C.Clark
Topic Author

Well,  you learn something  every day... I will try switching to UHD.  So UHD must be a stronger signal than HD, I guess?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Andy.C.Clark wrote:

Well,  you learn something  every day... I will try switching to UHD.  So UHD must be a stronger signal than HD, I guess?

Just a different frequency so affected differently by whatever is affecting them. Reverse might be true for your situation.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion