Pbs America signal interference on latest sky box

Executive Producer
Post 16 of 23

Re: Pbs America signal interference on latest sky box

@poeticmac955 wrote:

Excuse me Bob! Watching PBS America on a smaller screen does not in any way mean that the signal improves!!

Let us get to the "nitty gritty" here!! Their transmission signal is crap....

An American company like them, who make many millions producing and selling their shows all over the world should seriously be looking into their poor signal quality. I have watched and recorded many hours of their channel as I love documentaries. At one time I really thought that my television was at fault, but the same interference was seen on all my 3 televisions, one is a small 22 inch screen in my spare room.

But as all the other Sky Channels were excellent in their quality, with the odd glitch during severe thunderstorms, I knew it must be PBS America signal being of poor quality.

I have talked to Sky, but have complained to PBS, who say they are looking into this problem.

I actually don't hold out much hope, shall continue to barrage them with complaints.

Have also contacted Amazon Prime, asking about the quality of PBS America's signal on their Prime Channels.

Darn it!! We should not have to suffer this type of quality signal in areas where there is excellent Satalite communications!

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to get at.

I have not seen any interference on that channel (V2 box) however the picture quality is indeed poor on my UHD set with the box or TV upscalling the picture quality is such that it is difficult to watch however on my little HD ready set it is OK, not the best picture I have seen put certainly watchable.

Researcher
Post 17 of 23

Thanks to those posting here regarding PBS America for confirming that the problem lies with the signal quality. I have experienced picture judder and loud sound pops but thought it was my QBox on the blink. 

Researcher
Post 18 of 23

Got you now Bob, great to sound off our problems, I too did think it was one of my TVs that was at fault. As I tend to record the History programs on PBS, then when I have all the series recorded, I tend to watch them late of an evening tucked up in bed on my bedroom TV. But seeing the interference, I then watched one on my new Panasonic and the same problems were there, also on my other TV in my spare room. 

I am just amazed that a good historical channel with such a great selection of informative stories is unable to afford a better signal. Yet, I see channels from Africa having a far better signal, this baffles me!! Here's hoping PBS can find a way to boost their signsl strength because I can no longer watch their channel. 

Oracle
Post 19 of 23

@poeticmac955 wrote:

I am just amazed that a good historical channel with such a great selection of informative stories is unable to afford a better signal. Yet, I see channels from Africa having a far better signal, this baffles me!! Here's hoping PBS can find a way to boost their signsl strength because I can no longer watch their channel. 

The thing is, PBS (and PRS, their radio counterpart) quite literally have to beg for money in order to keep going. Imagine the BBC but without the licence fee income, broadcasting that "great selection of informative stories" to a country where Love Island would be considered highbrow drama...

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Sports, Box Sets, Yamaha RX-V375, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Director of Photography
Post 20 of 23

@poeticmac955 wrote:

Got you now Bob, great to sound off our problems, I too did think it was one of my TVs that was at fault. As I tend to record the History programs on PBS, then when I have all the series recorded, I tend to watch them late of an evening tucked up in bed on my bedroom TV. But seeing the interference, I then watched one on my new Panasonic and the same problems were there, also on my other TV in my spare room. 

The signal does not need boosting, they would have to pay for more bandwidth. If you channel down from PBS you will find more examples of channels looking pretty poor due to not much bandwidth.

Other factors include age of source material, video standards conversion and quality of path from America when content sent over

Camera Assistant
Post 21 of 23

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@poeticmac955 wrote:

The signal does not need boosting, they would have to pay for more bandwidth. If you channel down from PBS you will find more examples of channels looking pretty poor due to not much bandwidth.

Other factors include age of source material, video standards conversion and quality of path from America when content sent over

I used to watch PBS in HDS and I know it's not an issue of the source material. And it's also not the video standards. I've seen some of the programs in rubbish SD that I've seen in HD and in HD, it looked good. What I don't get is why PBS would want to show such good programs in such poor quality.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Director of Photography
Post 22 of 23

On a similar note one of my claims to fame in the early nineties in the BBC TV Engineering department was using two high end video standards converters back to back then messing with the settings  to create the appalling video quality for some of the ‘Fast Show’ Channel 9 ‘scorchio’ sketches.

Researcher
Post 23 of 23

Exactly Bob, they have some amazing material that is both historical and entertaining to watch. There are about 6 that I so wish to watch, having Amazon Prime, I can pay a monthly fee and watch them. But I am unwilling to pay this fee, even though it's a small sum, then find the quality is poor!! 

I may contact Amazon and ask about the signal quality, Sky have said it has nothing to do with them as it's the signal from PBS.

I have left messages on the PBS site on Twitter, as yet their producer has not commented back. I asked straight out about the quality of their signal, why it's so poor. They have acknowledged my email, but as yet have not given any explanation. They MUST know how poor their signal is.....