POWERLINE- Sky Q Box gets disconnected

Researcher
Post 1 of 24

POWERLINE- Sky Q Box gets disconnected

Equipment:

2TB Q Box, 3 mini boxes

TP link 4226 power line adapter

BT infinity 1 fibre (around 50mbps at the TP link) with smart hub

I have built a garden cabin and fitted it out with a TP link power line adapter which works absolutely fine. The Wi-Fi in the cabin works fine with most devices I've tested it with and is a clone of my standard router connection. 

When I moved one of my mini boxes from the bedroom to the cabin, and connected via the Wi-Fi up there from the TP link, not a lot happened. My son suggested I tried a wired connection, which I did And for a split moment I had a picture before everything decided to stop working. And when I say everything I mean all the boxes including my sky Q. After a lot of messing around setting static IP addresses and resetting the boxes time and time again we got no where. We left the mini box in the cabin but on standby and tried to get the boxes in the house talking again. We used the WSP on the mini box on the front room and the WSP button on the main box but they refused to find each other. We used WSP on the mini box in one of the bedrooms and the mini box in the front room and they found each other which allowed the box in the front room to find the network but not the main q box. 

Stay with me... 

So now we noticed when the mini boxes in the house had connections the main box lost its internet connection. So the mini boxes couldn't find the main box. This went on for ages, reading forums trying various things but with no success. Admitting defeat we removed the box from the cabin to return it back to the bedroom and BOOM, everything is working again. 

So we ran an Ethernet from the TP link in the cabin and brought the bedroom mini box back up into the cabin, made sure evrything wad off before connecting Ethernet to the cabin mini box, fired it up and once again we found a network but not a SKY q box.. I went into the house to find the main box had again been disconnected. 

For some reason the TP link connection in the cabin appears to disconnect the main box which causes all the other minis to lose their signal. If have seen in videos that there is a power line feature on the boxes but have little understanding how that might work. 

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. I have considered port forwarding and DMZ s but I'm not sure why that would make a difference and I'm not sure which device would need it if any. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 24

Re: POWERLINE- Sky Q Box gets disconnected

Hi @ShozM

Welcome to Q forum.

Sky have discontinued the inbuilt powerline which never got round to being supported.   If it was switched on in any of the Q boxes a Network Reset on the boxes will disable it and reset it off.

You also need to bear in mind that any Q mini boxes will not connect to 3rd party WiFi and will only connect to the Main Q box WiFi mesh.   However if you are trying to use WiFi extenders they would possibly connect to Q boxes if they were linked by Ethernet to the extenders.

Executive Producer
Post 3 of 24

@ShozM wrote:

Equipment:

2TB Q Box, 3 mini boxes

TP link 4226 power line adapter

BT infinity 1 fibre (around 50mbps at the TP link) with smart hub

I have built a garden cabin and fitted it out with a TP link power line adapter which works absolutely fine. The Wi-Fi in the cabin works fine with most devices I've tested it with and is a clone of my standard router connection. 

When I moved one of my mini boxes from the bedroom to the cabin, and connected via the Wi-Fi up there from the TP link, not a lot happened. My son suggested I tried a wired connection, which I did And for a split moment I had a picture before everything decided to stop working. And when I say everything I mean all the boxes including my sky Q. After a lot of messing around setting static IP addresses and resetting the boxes time and time again we got no where. We left the mini box in the cabin but on standby and tried to get the boxes in the house talking again. We used the WSP on the mini box on the front room and the WSP button on the main box but they refused to find each other. We used WSP on the mini box in one of the bedrooms and the mini box in the front room and they found each other which allowed the box in the front room to find the network but not the main q box. 

Stay with me... 

So now we noticed when the mini boxes in the house had connections the main box lost its internet connection. So the mini boxes couldn't find the main box. This went on for ages, reading forums trying various things but with no success. Admitting defeat we removed the box from the cabin to return it back to the bedroom and BOOM, everything is working again. 

So we ran an Ethernet from the TP link in the cabin and brought the bedroom mini box back up into the cabin, made sure evrything wad off before connecting Ethernet to the cabin mini box, fired it up and once again we found a network but not a SKY q box.. I went into the house to find the main box had again been disconnected. 

For some reason the TP link connection in the cabin appears to disconnect the main box which causes all the other minis to lose their signal. If have seen in videos that there is a power line feature on the boxes but have little understanding how that might work. 

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. I have considered port forwarding and DMZ s but I'm not sure why that would make a difference and I'm not sure which device would need it if any. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Turn off smart set up

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Researcher
Post 4 of 24

Hi @skinner1965

Thanks I'll give that a go and report back shortly

Why would that make a difference, out of interest?

Researcher
Post 5 of 24

Hi @oldfella

Powrrline feature on the boxes have never been switched on and are currently off. 

The main Q Box is about 18 inches from the router through a wall and connected via Wi-Fi 

The mini Boxes in the house all work fine wirelessly in the house. The one in the cabin is plugged into an Ethernet but I'm not sure if it's connected to the TP links Wi-Fi rather than it's Wired. 

Would it make sense to go into the cabin minis hidden settings and turn off the Wi-Fi on the box?

Executive Producer
Post 6 of 24

@ShozM wrote:

Hi @skinner1965

Sky Q doesn’t like BT smart set up for whatever reason 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Researcher
Post 7 of 24

@skinner1965 wrote:

@ShozM wrote:

Hi @skinner1965

Sky Q doesn’t like BT smart set up for whatever reason 

Worth a try, will report back. 

Thanks 

Oracle
Post 8 of 24

@ShozM

BT SmartSetup diverts the first internet request of any new device on the LAN behind the Hub and presents them with an internal web page of BT marketing guff.  However, devices without a web browser never see this and cannot dismiss it, which may cause them to diagnose a failure to connect to the external server which they were expecting to respond.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Researcher
Post 9 of 24

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@ShozM

BT SmartSetup diverts the first internet request of any new device on the LAN behind the Hub and presents them with an internal web page of BT marketing guff.  However, devices without a web browser never see this and cannot dismiss it, which may cause them to diagnose a failure to connect to the external server which they were expecting to respond.

Thanks Timmy 

The cabin Mini has no trouble connecting to an internet connection, but when it does it seems to disrupt everything else, including kicking the main box off the network. I'll still give it a go if only to eliminate the cause. 

Oracle
Post 10 of 24

@ShozM wrote:

Hi @oldfella

Powrrline feature on the boxes have never been switched on and are currently off. 

The main Q Box is about 18 inches from the router through a wall and connected via Wi-Fi 

The mini Boxes in the house all work fine wirelessly in the house. The one in the cabin is plugged into an Ethernet but I'm not sure if it's connected to the TP links Wi-Fi rather than it's Wired. 

Would it make sense to go into the cabin minis hidden settings and turn off the Wi-Fi on the box?

Hi @ShozM

Yes certainly

Also try a Network reset on the mini and do not do any WPS if you are connected by Ethernet.  The reset should clear any previous WiFi link.   You will need to switch the mini WiFi off again after the reset which switch the WiFi on again.

Producer
Post 11 of 24

The smart setup BT uses should be removed. It's rubbish and not every device you want to connect will work because of it. And to be honest, it's 100% not needed.I've never needed to go into my router to adjust settings for a specific device.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Researcher
Post 12 of 24

Apologies for the delayed response. So I took on board the advice of the advice kindly given which threw up more oddities and questions than answers. Let me break it down:

Smart setup - I turned it off as requested and found it easier to clone my power line adapters through the WSP on my router. This was an improvement but made little change to any other issues. I also separated the band's as I read this may play a part but found it made little difference over all.

Ethernet mini box - so I turned off the cabin mini box (CM) wirless fubctionality, connected it with ethernet to the power line adapter and performed a connection reset. This seemed to briefly work, the mininbox gave me an option to WSP pair the devices but I hit the home button, went into settings and selected the "connected with ethernet" option under network set up. The box found an internet connection straight away, briefly loaded the home screen with stuff for my main box and gave me a tv connection in HD to atleast 3 channels. But after 30 seconds I lost connection to the main box. And everything ceased. I checked the network settings again in the hidden menu and found both Wi-Fi settings to be "On" despite me having turned them off. So I repeated the above again and this time went immediately into the settings and turned off the Wi-Fi in case it was the CM switching to Wi-Fi that was causing the problem. But the same thing just happened again. I lose the picture after 30 seconds or so. Again my main box in the house lost its internet connection at the same time my CM lost its connection to the main box. It is worth pointing out it had a good internet connection throughout. I repeated this a few times and even used a different Ethernet and changed the plug the powerline was using. Nothing worked. I noticed the times when it worked it said it was connected to "SKY01834" OR something, rather than my router, which I assume was the main sky box. 

Powerlines adapter - at this point I rub another speed test on the powerlines adapter and found the download speed to be just 1 mbps. The upload was 12mbps. Prior to today the speed was a solid 40-45 mbps download. This was odd. So I ran a load of diagnostics on the power line and couldn't find the issue as the two adapters had a 150mbps connection between  them. I plugged the powerlines adapter back in the house and it was getting 50mbps. I returned to the cabin and it was 1mbps again. I returned to the house a 3rd time to run diagnostics with a TP link support technician but found the connection to be only 1mbps in the house this time. So now I'm thinking it's the TP link. I returned the adapter to the cabin and now I had 20mbps. Enough to run sky mini thought so I tried again and had exact same issue. It worked for a moment then suddenly got booted off it's connection after about 30 seconds.

The whole time the CM is on standby in the cabin, none of the other boxes in the house work including the main box, however the moment you unplug the CM then all the boxes in the house work. If you love the CM to the house it also works flawlessly. 

I tried many things during this diagnosis from port forwarding, DMZs, changing channels, changing cables, factory resetting router and adaptors, unplugging various power consuming equipment etc etc. But nothing was consistent or ultimately fixed the problem. 

If I had to describe the issue based on what it feels like, I would say it's almost like a defence mechanism built into the main no, it doesn't recognise the CM when it connects via the power line adapter, so after a few seconds the main box drops it's internet connection and blocks the mini box to safe guard itself. 

The speed thing is a bit odd so I might need to get a new adapter although TP link couldn't find an issue with it. 

All help is very very welcome

@JonW42 @oldfella @TimmyBGood@skinner1965

Oracle
Post 13 of 24

@JonW42 wrote:

The smart setup BT uses should be removed. It's rubbish and not every device you want to connect will work because of it. And to be honest, it's 100% not needed.I've never needed to go into my router to adjust settings for a specific device.

As you have the option to switch it off @JonW42 there is no need whatsoever to remove it.

Oracle
Post 14 of 24

Hi @ShozM

Looks like the TP powerline units you are using or your mains circuit is not up to the task.

With the Develo 1200 unit I am using I get theoretical transfer speeds between the adaptors of 300 - 900 mbps. 

One advantage of the Develos is that they use the earth conductor as well as the power ones.   Don’t know if If this is the case with the latest TP link ones.

Before you switch off the WiFi on the Q boxes you need to do a Network reset on each box that you want the WiFi off.    This should sever any previous WiFi link.

Dont do any WPS and switch the WiFi off after Network reset as this switches the WiFi on.

Researcher
Post 15 of 24

@ShozM wrote:

Apologies for the delayed response. So I took on board the advice of the advice kindly given which threw up more oddities and questions than answers. Let me break it down:

Smart setup - I turned it off as requested and found it easier to clone my power line adapters through the WSP on my router. This was an improvement but made little change to any other issues. I also separated the band's as I read this may play a part but found it made little difference over all.

Ethernet mini box - so I turned off the cabin mini box (CM) wirless fubctionality, connected it with ethernet to the power line adapter and performed a connection reset. This seemed to briefly work, the mininbox gave me an option to WSP pair the devices but I hit the home button, went into settings and selected the "connected with ethernet" option under network set up. The box found an internet connection straight away, briefly loaded the home screen with stuff for my main box and gave me a tv connection in HD to atleast 3 channels. But after 30 seconds I lost connection to the main box. And everything ceased. I checked the network settings again in the hidden menu and found both Wi-Fi settings to be "On" despite me having turned them off. So I repeated the above again and this time went immediately into the settings and turned off the Wi-Fi in case it was the CM switching to Wi-Fi that was causing the problem. But the same thing just happened again. I lose the picture after 30 seconds or so. Again my main box in the house lost its internet connection at the same time my CM lost its connection to the main box. It is worth pointing out it had a good internet connection throughout. I repeated this a few times and even used a different Ethernet and changed the plug the powerline was using. Nothing worked. I noticed the times when it worked it said it was connected to "SKY01834" OR something, rather than my router, which I assume was the main sky box. 

Powerlines adapter - at this point I rub another speed test on the powerlines adapter and found the download speed to be just 1 mbps. The upload was 12mbps. Prior to today the speed was a solid 40-45 mbps download. This was odd. So I ran a load of diagnostics on the power line and couldn't find the issue as the two adapters had a 150mbps connection between  them. I plugged the powerlines adapter back in the house and it was getting 50mbps. I returned to the cabin and it was 1mbps again. I returned to the house a 3rd time to run diagnostics with a TP link support technician but found the connection to be only 1mbps in the house this time. So now I'm thinking it's the TP link. I returned the adapter to the cabin and now I had 20mbps. Enough to run sky mini thought so I tried again and had exact same issue. It worked for a moment then suddenly got booted off it's connection after about 30 seconds.

The whole time the CM is on standby in the cabin, none of the other boxes in the house work including the main box, however the moment you unplug the CM then all the boxes in the house work. If you love the CM to the house it also works flawlessly. 

I tried many things during this diagnosis from port forwarding, DMZs, changing channels, changing cables, factory resetting router and adaptors, unplugging various power consuming equipment etc etc. But nothing was consistent or ultimately fixed the problem. 

If I had to describe the issue based on what it feels like, I would say it's almost like a defence mechanism built into the main no, it doesn't recognise the CM when it connects via the power line adapter, so after a few seconds the main box drops it's internet connection and blocks the mini box to safe guard itself. 

The speed thing is a bit odd so I might need to get a new adapter although TP link couldn't find an issue with it. 

All help is very very welcome

@JonW42 @oldfella @TimmyBGood@skinner1965

This may be a really stupid question, so if it is forgive me.

When you are connectiong the powerline to your mini in the cabin, what is the other end connected to? Your BT router? Or your Q box? As far as I know the minis will not talk to any router other than sky's, so it would seem sensible to me that your powerline networking needs to be plugged into your main Q box at one end and your mini at the other. Of course, if that solves your Q problem, it will mean that you have no other internet connection in the cabin, so may need to get more powerline plugs to plug between the router and the cabin. I have no idea whether or not those signals would interfere with each other to the point where neither is usable, but maybe someone here can help with that.

I have my main Q box powerlined to my virgin router, and as there are two ethernet ports on the powerline plug I have the other port feeding my smart tv for Netflix and Prime video etc. They all seem to play ok together on the same circuit. However, I haven't yet tried connecting my mini via powerline networking though.