Discussion topic: Onscreen message "you will lose all sky channels soon" Only had sky q since December so why?

This message was authored by AlisonMC This message was authored by: AlisonMC

Onscreen message "you will lose all sky channels soon" Only had sky q since December so why?

I've had sky q installed for nearly 7 weeks. On 1st Jan I started getting an onscreen message saying I would lose my BBC channels from 8th Jan (I didn't) which continued until 3rd Feb when it changed to "you will lose all sky channels soon, to keep them call...." Anybody else had this? I called the number and was directed to this forum. My current contract runs to March '25 and payments are up to date so no explanation for this. Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Onscreen message "you will lose all sky channels soon" Only had sky q since December s

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AlisonMC wrote:

I've had sky q installed for nearly 7 weeks. On 1st Jan I started getting an onscreen message saying I would lose my BBC channels from 8th Jan (I didn't) which continued until 3rd Feb when it changed to "you will lose all sky channels soon, to keep them call...." Anybody else had this? I called the number and was directed to this forum. My current contract runs to March '25 and payments are up to date so no explanation for this. Thanks

hi @AlisonMC 

First of all don't worry as you have SKY Q then you will still be able to receive both the BBC & SKY channels going forward.

You clearly should not be getting such messages - just out of interest did you migrate to SKY Q from an old SKY + box ?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Onscreen message "you will lose all sky channels soon" Only had sky q since December s

@AlisonMC wrote:

@AlisonMC its nothing to worry about its for customers who don't have a Sky box that can receive HD channels will be unable to watch them as they are moving them on to DVBS-2 transponders which only boxes capable of receiving HD channels can receive this

The sd channels are moving from DVBS transponders which older Sky boxes can receive to DVBS transponders which the older boxes cannot receive

Not sure why you are getting this message when you have a Sky Q box is it connected to the internet 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

I have escalated your post to a SKY support team, who, hopefully, will be in touch .

Please see this link re the escalation and what you might see:
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

If you are using Safari I believe you must make sure that 'Hide IP address' is not checked in settings to be able to see it - if you have difficulty finding that setting then may be try accessing here with another browser

AlisonMC
Topic Author

@Laing1 Thanks for your reply. Yes it's connected to the internet and I pay for HD. It's working as it should, just getting fed up of the message popping up literally every 5 minutes. Can't use the remote unless I clear the message first by pressing the home button.

AlisonMC
Topic Author

@nigea99 yes I did replace sky + with sky q

This message was authored by Jordanos This message was authored by: Jordanos

@AlisonMC  I'm getting exactly the same, recent upgrade to Sky Q, annoying bbc message replaced now with the "you'll loose all sky channels message." Still not phoned them. Sounds like they have **bleep** something up

AlisonMC
Topic Author

@Jordanos another forum user escalated my post to the sky support team. They didn't bother to contact me but within hours the message stopped. I have no idea how to escalate it for you, maybe you can do that yourself or phone the number coming up onscreen to get rid of it🤞as it's a damn nuisance isn't it? 

@Jordanos wrote:

@AlisonMC  I'm getting exactly the same, recent upgrade to Sky Q, annoying bbc message replaced now with the "you'll loose all sky channels message." Still not phoned them. Sounds like they have **bleep** something up

hi @Jordanos 

I have escalated your post, also,  to a SKY support team, who, hopefully, will be in touch.

Please see this link re the escalation and what you might see:
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

If you are using Safari I believe you must make sure that 'Hide IP address' is not checked in settings to be able to see it - if you have difficulty finding that setting then may be try accessing here with another browser

BTW @AlisonMC sorry your escalation did not get picked up as we hoped - the team do try to pick up our escalations within good time but individual escalations can, unfortunately,  get missed

AlisonMC
Topic Author

@nigea99  tbh I suspect they did pick it up and rectified the problem without contacting me. I've had messages onscreen every 5 minutes for over a month, it would be rather a coincidence that it suddenly disappears within hours of you escalating it so thanks for doing that 👍

This message was authored by RJane This message was authored by: RJane

Im getting the same messages but i do still have a sky + box. Weve already lost BBC but thats not a problem as we also have freeview but im concerned about these messages! We live in the coumtry with no good broadband signal. To access the internet we use 4g on our phones and tether otjer devices. Does this mean were going to lose sky? Seems a little unfair!

@RJane wrote:

Im getting the same messages but i do still have a sky + box. Weve already lost BBC but thats not a problem as we also have freeview but im concerned about these messages! We live in the coumtry with no good broadband signal. To access the internet we use 4g on our phones and tether otjer devices. Does this mean were going to lose sky? Seems a little unfair!

Hi @RJane 

if you do have an old SKY + box then it is likely you will loose the SKY SD channels in the not too distant future - which is why you are getting the messages.

Technically the SKY SD channels are due to change the method of transmission from  something called DVB-S to DVB-S2. The older SKY + boxes cannot work with this different signal.

You do have the option of looking for second hand SKY HD boxes  on the likes of Ebay that can work with signals after they change  

Otherwise you may need to switch to SKY Q - You may wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

BTW SKy Q can work with limited Internet connections

Thanks so much for the advice - really appreciate it. Will look at the options. Just to clarify though are you saying that we could tether the sky q to mobile data?

@RJane wrote:

Thanks so much for the advice - really appreciate it. Will look at the options. Just to clarify though are you saying that we could tether the sky q to mobile data?

hi @RJane 

I am not an expert in the network side. 

I know Engineers can get SKY Q initially working by using their phones when customers don't have internet installed but SKY Q does realistically need some internet connectivity otherwise functionality is restricted. 

I know some people do use 4G routers with SKY Q but I don;t know if just a tethered phone could work for this - hopefully one of other experts here can advise  

So to update. We put in a sky + hd box today but still getting message. Assume we need to subscribe to HD (which to me is a waste of £10 per month) . When i try to subscribe to Hd sky telling me on website that its not possible! Ive activated my card in new box and channels working well- is there something im missing? Any advice appreciated

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion