Discussion topic: No menu option for wifi hotspots in sky q

This message was authored by RefCoach This message was authored by: RefCoach

No menu option for wifi hotspots in sky q

I've looked to the community to see how to turn on wifi hotspots for my sky q boxes. The trouble is that when I get down to advanced settings in network I don't see a menu option for wifi hotspots - the only thing I have is IP settings (automatic) which I could change manually but these are fine.

inhave a 2TB sky q box and have moved house with 2 sky q minis though have only got round to setting one up so far. Any suggestions? TIA

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: No menu option for wifi hotspots in sky q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Who provides your internet?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@RefCoach wrote:

I've looked to the community to see how to turn on wifi hotspots for my sky q boxes. The trouble is that when I get down to advanced settings in network I don't see a menu option for wifi hotspots - the only thing I have is IP settings (automatic) which I could change manually but these are fine.

inhave a 2TB sky q box and have moved house with 2 sky q minis though have only got round to setting one up so far. Any suggestions? TIA

If your wifi is SKY then there is no option - they are always enabled

If your wifi is not SKy then the option is only on the main box & is set on/off for all boxes

RefCoach
Topic Author

I've got nowtv (existing contract) in new house. When I was on the phone to move tv services (but cancel sky) I was told that they would switch off the wifi hotspots but perhaps they didn't. In which case perhaps I don't need to do anything?

Thanks for the quick responses 

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@RefCoach wrote:

I've got nowtv (existing contract) in new house. When I was on the phone to move tv services (but cancel sky) I was told that they would switch off the wifi hotspots but perhaps they didn't. In which case perhaps I don't need to do anything?

Thanks for the quick responses 

If you've cancelled Sky, you need to return all your Sky Q equipment as they are only loaned to you for the term of the contract 

I am just another Sky customer!
RefCoach
Topic Author

No, I missed out the word broadband! I took the sky q tv package (and equipment) with me as I was supposed to. Hub went back today. Sorry for any confusion.

This message was authored by Quillion This message was authored by: Quillion

I have a similar problem, Sky Q, connected to a non-sky Broadband router/ISP, 3 minis also hooked up by ethernet. I have no options on any boxes to turn on/off Hotspots, not even in the engineering menu

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Quillion wrote:

I have a similar problem, Sky Q, connected to a non-sky Broadband router/ISP, 3 minis also hooked up by ethernet. I have no options on any boxes to turn on/off Hotspots, not even in the engineering menu

Hi @Quillion 

If you've disabled 2.4ghz on your Sky Q mini boxes, you won't see this feature. To add WiFi hotspots, you'll need to re-enable 2.4ghz again.

How to turn on WiFi hotspots

1. Press Home on your Sky Q remote, then select Settings, followed by Setup and then Network.
  2. Select Advanced Settings, and then WiFi hotspots and select Turn on.
  3. Enter your TV Pin to confirm.
  4. You will then see information screens about enabling WiFi hotspots on your Sky Q boxes, select continue to accept.
  5. If your router/hub is set up correctly, you will then see a confirmation screen that WiFi hotspots is now set up.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. On the Sky Q box, I have both 2.4 and 5 enabled. I still have no option to use hotspots. Could it be an option I need to set in my router settings?

This message was authored by Mortal+Wombat This message was authored by: Mortal+Wombat

Might be a stupid question but is your Q box connected to your NowTV router via Ethernet? 

Mortal-Wombat

Yes, it's connected via Ethernet 

This message was authored by Mortal+Wombat This message was authored by: Mortal+Wombat

I don't think the option will be there to share your WiFi connection if the Q is on Ethernet. I suggest testing briefly on WiFi if that's the case.

I had a power line adapter for sky until recently and have never had sky broadband so the WiFi mesh wasn't an option when I designed my network as it was only for sky broadband.  I was surprised to see I can now use it. Never saw the option until I joined to my new more powerful router.

Mortal-Wombat

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion