Discussion topic: No 4k on Disney+ app

This message was authored by Manndem This message was authored by: Manndem

No 4k on Disney+ app

I have Sky Q and a 55" 4K Sony TV. 4K works on everything but Disney+.

Does anyone have a fix for this please?

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: No 4k on Disney+ app

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Manndem wrote:

I have Sky Q and a 55" 4K Sony TV. 4K works on everything but Disney+.

Does anyone have a fix for this please?

@Manndem i'm assuming you have a UHD Q box but is your Q box also capable of HDR see the link below for different boxes as the original 2TB is UHD but not HDR capable. From memory Disney + only shows UHD HDR content so if your box is not HDR capable then you won't get UHD through the disney+ app

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
Manndem
Topic Author
This message was authored by Manndem This message was authored by: Manndem

Thanks

My model number is 32B206 so it should support the HDR content. It works on Netflix and Apple TV+ fine.

This message was authored by dansilkman This message was authored by: dansilkman

I've got same issue. I get 4k content all through my smart tv apps Netflix and Disney but in sky q only Netflix is showing 4k. Disney is still showing just HD

@dansilkman wrote:

I've got same issue. I get 4k content all through my smart tv apps Netflix and Disney but in sky q only Netflix is showing 4k. Disney is still showing just HD

@dansilkman see my response to @Manndem it also applies to you 

is your Q box also capable of HDR see the link below for different boxes as the original 2TB is UHD but not HDR capable. From memory Disney + only shows UHD HDR content so if your box is not HDR capable then you won't get UHD through the disney+ app

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-software-updates

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@dansilkman wrote:

If you have a native TV app then always use that...  (The Q box forces a refresh rate for starters)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by dansilkman This message was authored by: dansilkman

Sky technical actually got back to me and said it's all about rhe 2160 8 bit or 10bit compatibility. My box is showing only 2160 8 bit which is fine for 'netflix uhd but not prime or Disney which need 10 bit compatibility with the tv. Not sure how I would know that before buying the new tv which I did last week but safe to say I'll just use the smart tv apps in tv to watch the UHD

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@dansilkman wrote:

Sky technical actually got back to me and said it's all about rhe 2160 8 bit or 10bit compatibility. My box is showing only 2160 8 bit which is fine for 'netflix uhd but not prime or Disney which need 10 bit compatibility with the tv. Not sure how I would know that before buying the new tv which I did last week but safe to say I'll just use the smart tv apps in tv to watch the UHD

hi @dansilkman 

As others have said best to use the inbuilt TV apps.

However, if your Q box is HDR capable you are not getting the best from it

I think on Sony Tvs you need to set the HDMI used for SKY Q to enhanced or possibly 'Full' to be able to set 10 bit & get HDR  - if I have got it wrong I am sure one of the others will correct me (unless I can find the setting first) .

I've got a Samsung 2023 model UHD

Just checked and I am on the hardware version that supports HDR

SOLVED!! changed the hdmi input signal to hdr on the tv settings. Found this info on digital spy forum about changing hdr settings on a Samsung tv but you guys led me to it!!

thanks

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@dansilkman wrote:

SOLVED!! changed the hdmi input signal to hdr on the tv settings. Found this info on digital spy forum about changing hdr settings on a Samsung tv but you guys led me to it!!

thanks

Cool. Why Sony and Samsung make you jump through these hoops to get 10bit/HDR working on HDMI mystifies me. I reckon it's some energy ratings fiddle.

This message was authored by 61glenshee This message was authored by: 61glenshee

Hi, where exactly is this in Samsung TV settings? Just to confirm, you have Disney+ in 4K Ultra HD from Sky Q app?

@61glenshee wrote:

Hi, where exactly is this in Samsung TV settings? Just to confirm, you have Disney+ in 4K Ultra HD from Sky Q app?

@61glenshee unless its changed the Disney+ app on Sky Q only produces 4K UHD with HDR if your TV or Q box is incapable of handling HDR then you will not get 4K/UHD on the app 

which is why @dansilkman needed to change his Q box to 10 bit as you need 10 bit for HDR on a Q box

I had the issue with all my apps through sky q before I changed the setting. Apps on sky q weren't showing content in 4k but the apps via my Samsung smart tv were. I had to change the setting in Samsung tv first then go into sky q advanced setting and change to 10bit 2160. Then the sky q apps showed 4k

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion