Discussion topic: New non sky router but can’t access Sky mini by boxes internet hotspots on phone.

This message was authored by harnettfamily This message was authored by: harnettfamily

New non sky router but can’t access Sky mini by boxes internet hotspots on phone.

I've recently had non-sky glass into the house. Under the old Sky router I relied on the minis away from the router as hotspots for things like iPhone, etc. Both minis are hard wired back to the router and work ok with TVs.

My problem is that I can see the mini WiFi output on mobile but I am unable to access it. So I can utilise the hotspots how do I access the minis "network"? I have no code as the router was returned and the minis are under a different name anyway? 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: New non sky router but can’t access Sky mini by boxes internet hotspots on phone.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@harnettfamily wrote:

I've recently had non-sky glass into the house. Under the old Sky router I relied on the minis away from the router as hotspots for things like iPhone, etc. Both minis are hard wired back to the router and work ok with TVs.

My problem is that I can see the mini WiFi output on mobile but I am unable to access it. So I can utilise the hotspots how do I access the minis "network"? I have no code as the router was returned and the minis are under a different name anyway? 

hi @harnettfamily 

When your wifi is not SKY you need to enable Hotspots - the setting is only on the main box & toggles for all boxes

Home - Settings - Setup - NetWork - Advanced Settings

Customers seem to have had mixed results for this -many reporting little benefit

the network you access is via your home wifi id/password

harnettfamily
Topic Author
This message was authored by harnettfamily This message was authored by: harnettfamily

Re: New non sky router but can’t access Sky mini by boxes internet hotspots on phone.

Thanks for the info. I've already set the hotspots up on the Sky Q box and have just reactivated them again in case. The only password I have now is for my third party router but that doesn't work when I enter it on my mobile for the Sky network shown, it says system temporarily unavailable.
The signal is strong from the minis but it won't let me access it. I'm thinking I'll have to disregard the minis for other devices and get a booster for my WiFi router around the house which is a shame as it worked well when I had the Sky router. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@harnettfamily wrote:

Thanks for the info. I've already set the hotspots up on the Sky Q box and have just reactivated them again in case. The only password I have now is for my third party router but that doesn't work when I enter it on my mobile for the Sky network shown, it says system temporarily unavailable.
The signal is strong from the minis but it won't let me access it. I'm thinking I'll have to disregard the minis for other devices and get a booster for my WiFi router around the house which is a shame as it worked well when I had the Sky router. 

hi @harnettfamily I perehaps wasn't as clear as I should be.

You cannot connect to the SKY network you see (that is SKY box to box only).

The network you need to try to connect to is your home network (as if you were in the same room as your router)

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

@harnettfamily  You need to join the network that your router creates, not the sky one.  With a non sky router the "sky" ssid is the one that the Q boxes create between themselves.

Also you might just be better off getting more modern boosters to set up woth your router and turning off the hotspots on the Q boxes.  The Q hardware is pretty long in the tooth now, while it still works I am not sure it is the best option to base your network off of.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion