Discussion topic: New Sky Q Box Not Connecting to Sky Hub Via Ethernet

This message was authored by SR666 This message was authored by: SR666

New Sky Q Box Not Connecting to Sky Hub Via Ethernet

Hi 

I have had a replacement Sky Q box due to a failed Hard Drive.

The previous box was connected to my Sky Hub via ethernet cable as wifi doesnt extend to hat part of the house.

The new box will not connect to the SKy Hub via the ethernet cable when you attempt to configure it to connect via ethernet.

Any other device you connect to the ethernet cable connects to the Sky Hub and can access the internet no problem.

I have done a factory reset on the hub just in case this helped (no joy).

Sky say an engineer vist it required with the frst availiable date being the 10th October and wont sent out another box. They have at least paired the card so I can accesss sky channels.

Any ideas as to a quicker soloution?

All Replies

This message was authored by pd14d This message was authored by: pd14d

Re: New Sky Q Box Not Connecting to Sky Hub Via Ethernet

Hi

I have the same problem (replacement box), but via WiFi (I've not tried an Ethernet cable yet). In my case they are going to replace the box. How did they pair your viewing card if there is no internet connection? Can they do this over satellite?

As 10\10 is some time away, can you borrow a WiFi extender to see if it will connect via WiFi?

SR666
Topic Author

They paired the card and box over the satellite connection.

Unfortunately there isn't somewhere convenient to sit a wifi booster (not that I have one and sky won't send one out as even that requires an "engineer" to visit...) and trying to connect over WiFi. My guess is there may be the same issue with the WiFi connection as well.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Ethernet should be foolproof @SR666 

Exactly what happens when you carry out the Network Reset on the main Q box and select connect wired to Sky Router?

Just be aware that if you have the New Sky Max router you may need to select Connected wired to 3rd party router

SR666
Topic Author

@oldfella Ethernet should be foolproof...

The sky hub is an older Sky Q hub so you would think it should be plug and play...

Sorted it with a workaround until sky get their finger out.

Dug out an old sky minibox from upstairs which is no longer used.

Connected the minibox to the ethernet cable instead of the Sky Q box, once the minibox did a software update I connected the Sky Q box to the WiFi of the minibox using WPS.

All services on the Sky Q box are now working albeit via WiFi to the minibox and the ethernet cable from the minibox to the Sky Q hub....

Not ideal but it works.!

Just need to stop both boxes reacting to the remote 😀.

Bet Sky will say this shouldn't work!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion