Discussion topic: Need to connect both my Sky Q box and my one Mini box by ethernet cables

This message was authored by KevP101 This message was authored by: KevP101

Need to connect both my Sky Q box and my one Mini box by ethernet cables

Hello. I live in a very old stone built house. There is a 0.75m solid stone wall running the width of the house, with only one door access through it. My BT router (900mb) is at the far end of the house on the ground floor. The router is in the same room, however despite much experimenting with settings etc, the connection rate is very slow - insufficient to stream programmes. My Mini box is in the adjoining room - the other side of the solid wall - and will not communicate with the Q box using the Sky mesh - so I have used an ethernet cable to connect the two together. There is a BT signal booster in this room. 

I now think I need to connect the Q box via ethernet, however with only one ethernet port , I can't do that whilst maintaining the connection to the Mini box by ethernet. 

Looking at responses to similarly asked questions, and in order to make streaming possible, I wonder if I can connect my router to a switch (Netgear 5 port gigabit network switch - GS305) using an ethernet cable, and then both my Q and Mini boxes via ethernet cable to that switch? Would the Q and Mini boxes still 'talk' to each other?

If anyone can confirm or advise differently - using words of one syllable please(!) I would be most grateful.    

Many thanks

Kev

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Re: Need to connect both my Sky Q box and my one Mini box by ethernet cables

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @KevP101  Yes! My Sky Q Main box and two Mini boxes plus router are connected via three unmanaged gigabit Ethernet switches similar to the GS305 (in fact GS105 & GS108s). As a bonus my TV, Blu-ray player etc. are connected to the same switch so everything is Ethernet.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion