Discussion topic: My SkyQ box goes into standby regularly

This message was authored by Standrews1962 This message was authored by: Standrews1962

My SkyQ box goes into standby regularly

Ok so have seen other posts about this but nothing helps.

My SkyQ box will go into standby while watching live or recorded programs

It may go days without doing it, sometimes does it twice in 30 minutes.

I have had at least 2 replacement boxes, I have reset, hard drive reset and factory reset the current one

Turned off eco mode that is supposed to put it in standby when not in use.

I have updated the software on the box

Different cables have been used with each box

I have tried different hdmi sockets even though sky insist it will only work on hdmi sockets 1

I have "turned it off and back on again" lol, overnight so it is definitely gets a cool down.

It is the only unit on my TV stand so isn't overheating and to help air flow I have made a little stand so air can flow all around it.

This started about 3-6 months ago, so I'm thinking it's firmware causing it.

The replacement boxes are clearly refurbished units as the last one has finger prints all over it and the remote voice control didn't work.

Does anyone one have any idea why this keeps happening and more importantly how can it be fixed

Thanks Paul 

sky Platinum VIP

All Replies

This message was authored by hrai This message was authored by: hrai

Re: My SkyQ box goes into standby regularly

If the issue is occurring after the box has been replaced several times perhaps the cause is external?

A few thoughts - maybe the TV is a cause? My TV will put the Q box into standby when I turn the TV off so maybe the TV is sending a standby signal occasionally? Try either swapping the TV - which tbf is a somewhat impracticable solution! - or turning off HDMI-CEC functionality.

Another thought is perhaps there is an issue with the mains? Maybe a spike is causing the box to go into standby. How you would test/check that I have no idea - maybe an extension lead with a mains filter?

Standrews1962
Topic Author
This message was authored by Standrews1962 This message was authored by: Standrews1962

Re: My SkyQ box goes into standby regularly

The tv stays on when the skyq box goes into standby, I have them linked to turn off together when I press power off on skyq remote

I had the power in a surge protector initially but have plugged it directly into the socket now makes no difference 

Don't have another TV to try

Will have a look at the other thing you mentioned 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion