Discussion topic: Moving from a Sky Plus HD Box to Sky Q - keeping the Freeview input

This message was authored by Mitchei This message was authored by: Mitchei

Moving from a Sky Plus HD Box to Sky Q - keeping the Freeview input

I have just booked to have a Sky Q Box installed. Currently with my Sky Plus HD box we also have an Aerial input in to also get freeview to our TV, and one out to another TV in another room. However, I don't believe Sky Q Boxes have these co-axial inputs/outputs. We only want Sky Q in one room and are happy enough with Freeview in the other. Will it just be the case that the Engineer will be able to connect the two co-axial cables to esnure the signal for Freeview continues to go to the other room? I.E the current Sky Plus Box is only acting as a connecter and nothing else in terms of an Aerial signal?

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Moving from a Sky Plus HD Box to Sky Q - keeping the Freeview input

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mitchei wrote:

I have just booked to have a Sky Q Box installed. Currently with my Sky Plus HD box we also have an Aerial input in to also get freeview to our TV, and one out to another TV in another room. However, I don't believe Sky Q Boxes have these co-axial inputs/outputs. We only want Sky Q in one room and are happy enough with Freeview in the other. Will it just be the case that the Engineer will be able to connect the two co-axial cables to esnure the signal for Freeview continues to go to the other room? I.E the current Sky Plus Box is only acting as a connecter and nothing else in terms of an Aerial signal?

hi @Mitchei 

In most cases it is just a matter of connecting the cable from the Terrestrial Aerial to the coax cable feeding the other room.(s)

(Note : Engineers tend not to do this without being asked even though it is a simple & obvious thing - although you can do it yourself anyway)

As you mention SKY Q does not have any RF connectins & SKY HD has 2 outputs - if you need more than one then you may need to buy a simple booster/amplifier.

I will tag @oldfella  who I think has a link to one

BTW You may, also, wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

Mitchei
Topic Author

Thanks for this reply. Does my current Sky Plus HD box act only as a connector, or is it an amplifier?

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Mitchei wrote:

Thanks for this reply. Does my current Sky Plus HD box act only as a connector, or is it an amplifier?

hi @Mitchei 

TBH I don't know  - I think there may be a slight amplification.

At  the very least it does allow 2 outputs with minimal or no loss  - a passive splitter would have significantly more loss 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Why not try it before the new box is installed?

As noted you should be able to remove the RF connectors from the Sky+ box and connect them together - you can then see if the signal is sufficient for the connected TV(s)

If amplification is needed then there are many options...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@nigea99 wrote:

TBH I don't know  - I think there may be a slight amplification.

Yes, there is.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Hi @Mitchei 

You need a simple powered aerial splitter.

These have amplification.

Something like one of these.  They also include a small mains adapter.

oldfella_0-1727799980195.png

You plug your Terrestrial aerial plug into the input and then connect all your TV's to the outputs.

Mitchei
Topic Author

Thanks for this.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion