Discussion topic: Mix Ethernet and Wifi for Sky Q

This message was authored by Chris_S1 This message was authored by: Chris_S1

Mix Ethernet and Wifi for Sky Q

Hi,

Is it possible to mix ethernet and WiFi connections for Sky Q?

Senario:- Internet router located in the  kitchen where the first sky Q mini is installed. The main Sky Q box in the lounge is connected by ethernet to the router in the kitchen. The other Sky Q mini box is upstairs in the bedroom with an excellent connection. The wifi connection to the kitchen is poor and drops out since the kitchen is in the extension and there are very solid walls between it and the lounge. Can I connect the main Sky Q box to the mini in the kitchen using the Ethernet ( there is a spare port on the router ) and still use WiFi for the other box where there is no ethernet connection or is it a simple all ethernet or all wifi option? If possible could somebody please tell me how. I do not use Sky broadband.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Mix Ethernet and Wifi for Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris_S1 wrote:

Hi,

Senario:- Internet router located in the  kitchen where the first sky Q mini is installed. The main Sky Q box in the lounge is connected by ethernet to the router in the kitchen. The other Sky Q mini box is upstairs in the bedroom with an excellent connection. The wifi connection to the kitchen is poor and drops out since the kitchen is in the extension and there are very solid walls between it and the lounge. Can I connect the main Sky Q box to the mini in the kitchen using the Ethernet ( there is a spare port on the router ) and still use WiFi for the other box where there is no ethernet connection or is it a simple all ethernet or all wifi option? If possible could somebody please tell me how. I do not use Sky broadband.

Yes @Chris_S1 

It's worth trying an Ethernet connection on the mini.

First carry out a Network reset on the mini with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in mini box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the mini box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.

As soon as it connects go into the mini box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris_S1 wrote:

Hi,

Yes @Chris_S1 

It's worth trying an Ethernet connection on the mini.

First carry out a Network reset on the mini with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in mini box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the mini box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.

As soon as it connects go into the mini box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.
To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Chris_S1
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chris_S1 This message was authored by: Chris_S1

Very many thanks. That seems to have done the trick.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion