Mini box picture freezing

Runner
Post 1 of 11

Mini box picture freezing

Hi, 

Our main Q box is on a BT power line adapter and the mini box is on an Ethernet cable direct from the router. There appears to be a very good network connection on both.

However when watching live tv on the mini the picture and sound keeps freezing and eventually it tells me the mini has lost connection to the Q box. Please could someone tell me how the mini box receives it’s picture signal ? Is it through the Ethernet cable or wirelessly from the main box ? 

Cheers

Hi !
All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 11

Re: Mini box picture freezing

@Hosburger If you have the minis connected by ethernet it is advised to disable their wifi. Go to settings enter 0,0,1 select to get into the installers menu where the settings are and turn off both wave bands. That should stabilise the system.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 3 of 11

Thanks for the reply. I have already turned the WiFi off on both mini and main box , also the power line option 

Hi !
Runner
Post 4 of 11

So thought everything had settled down but now noticed that on  Settings - Status the connection to internet is intermittent. Alternates from x to tick approx every 5 seconds . The connection to router is fine 

Hi !
Oracle
Post 5 of 11

@Hosburger The no internet warning is confusing as what it means is something is blocking the box from contacting Sky's servers not that the box cannot see the whole internet so whilst downloading is blocked the Spotify app will work. This can be caused by a router firewall rule, commonly BT's Smart Setup is the cause but there are others so who is your isp and what router do you have?

Runner
Post 6 of 11

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same problem, my main sky q box is connected via Ethernet from my BT smart hub and both my mini boxes are connected to the main box wirelessly. I’m getting sound distorting and picture freezing when it’s connected like this. I’ve checked by using another Ethernet cable to make sure the problem is not the cable and it clearly is not.

Ive noticed when I connect the main box wirelessly this problem is resolved. What is the reason for this can someone help please?

i would prefer my sky q box to be wired via Ethernet as i have over 15 devices on WiFi and its slowing the connection down.

Director of Photography
Post 7 of 11

@Kal84 wrote:

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same problem, my main sky q box is connected via Ethernet from my BT smart hub and both my mini boxes are connected to the main box wirelessly. I’m getting sound distorting and picture freezing when it’s connected like this. I’ve checked by using another Ethernet cable to make sure the problem is not the cable and it clearly is not.

Ive noticed when I connect the main box wirelessly this problem is resolved. What is the reason for this can someone help please?

i would prefer my sky q box to be wired via Ethernet as i have over 15 devices on WiFi and its slowing the connection down.

Hi welcome to the forum, Have you tried rebooting your main SKYQ box by turning power off for 30 sec then reconnect?

Oracle
Post 8 of 11

@Kal84 The way you have your boxes connected is correct so should not cause problems unless the wifi from the main box to the nearest mini is too weak - the minis will connect to the mainbox and each other.

One suggestion the Q boxes mainly communicate using the 5GHz channel 36 which by default is the channel most BT home hubs use. You may find it helps to keep the two wifi networks on different channels. On the Q main box go to settings but enter 0,0,1 then select to get into a hidden menu and change the 5GHZ wifi to ch44 40MHz and confirm. That should shift te 2 minis as well if it doesnt do the same on each of them. Lastly on your home hub ensure it is using ch36. 

If that doesnt work then talk to Sky as you may need a booster.

Runner
Post 9 of 11

We had this on a bedroom mini box and swapped boxes cables. Reset Qbox and mini, reset router etc. It happened with live and recorded programmes and checking settings the Q box and network had ticks. Switch off or resetting the q box would fix for a while. 20 mins or so.

We noticed that when it happened both our mobiles were in the room and on our Wi-Fi. Moving the phones out of the room there have been no mini box freezing. Now we take the phones off Wi-Fi when watching this TV. A pain but it works 100%.

Executive Producer
Post 10 of 11

If your router is on 5Ghz Ch36 change it to as high as it will go as your WiFi could be clashing with the "mesh" which connects the mini to main box.

Runner
Post 11 of 11

I checked and my router 5 ghz is on ch 48. Sky shows to be on 36 but scanner shows Sky  q and minis on 42.

With phones not in the room or off Wi-Fi  there is no freezing. Both phones on Wi-Fi in the room and it freezes in 10 mins.

Recommended Threads
Markjude 24-08-2018 01:25 PM
09-09-2018 04:47 PM
26-08-2018 03:16 PM
01-11-2018 02:47 PM
04-11-2018 12:43 PM