Discussion topic: Main Sky Q Box and Mini Box connect to home WiFi Router?

This message was authored by TazLondon This message was authored by: TazLondon

Main Sky Q Box and Mini Box connect to home WiFi Router?

I've been reading up a bit on connectivity options with Sky Q. It seems like the main Sky Q Box tries to take over a home's WiFi network (creating its own WiFi hotspot) and the Mini Q Box then connects the main Q Box via that hotspot.

What I'd like to achieve is something very simple (all based on a WiFi connection, no Ethernet connections):

1. Sky Q Main Box connection to my home WiFi router;

2. Sky Q Mini Box connection ot my home WiFi router;

3. Sky Q Main Box and Mini Box talk to each other via my home WiFi router since they will be on the same network.

Is this possible? I'm concerned that the Sky Q WiFi hotspot may interfere with my home WiFi which is working perfectly at the moment with around 25 devices connected.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Re: Main Sky Q Box and Mini Box connect to home WiFi Router?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TazLondonIt all depends on if Sky is your broadband provider.

If not

The main box uses your home WiFi to connect to your router.

The mini box connects to your main box by the mesh it generates on 5Ghz Ch36, it will not connect to your router by WiFi nor use your home WiFi.

Currently there are no hot spots.

However if Sky is your broadband provider it uses both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz of your home broadband to link the main box to hub and your mini box to either the main box or router.

All Q devices work as hot spots.

TazLondon
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply!

Some more info and questions. Sky is not my broadband provider (I'm with Virgin Media). If I understand you correctly, in my case the Q main box will connect over WiFi to my VM router for Internet access. The Q main box generates its own wireless mesh network to allow the Q mini box to connect to it wirelessly.

I have the option of a CAT-6 Ethernet connection directly between the main box and the mini box (but not to my VM router). If the mini box could be connected directly to the main box via Ethernet then I could disable WiFi in the mini. as it would not need the mesh network.

The main box would still connect over WiFi to my main router.

Do you think that would work? I presume I cannot disable the mesh network on the main Q box in this case?

@TazLondonYes you can do that, if you turn off all WiFi in the mini box and the 5Ghz in the main box (I think you can just turn one frequency off but I have not looked for a long time and not near my box at present) you will have effectively turned off the Q mesh and only be using your home WiFi to connect to the router like any other device.

TazLondon
Topic Author

I thought I'd return to this thread with an update.

I had my Sky Q fitted today: one Sky Q main and one Mini box. Main box was connected via Ethernet to a 3-port HomePlug. The Mini box was connected to the second port of the HomePlug. I turned off both WiFi frequencies on the Main and Mini Sky Q boxes.

Everything works just fine over a wired connection.

This message was authored by David1945 This message was authored by: David1945

I am setting my mini box but the on screen message says unsuccessful connection and i have tried on countless occasions

@David1945 Try this link first to see how to set up your mini boxes, if it has never worked it could just be too far from your main box to link.
https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/setting-up-sky-q/connect-your-sky-q-mini

This message was authored by Deaner01 This message was authored by: Deaner01

@TazLondon , It looks like I will need to use this setup but I have a question for you based on your setup.

Do the WiFi and ethernet require separate IP addresses?  I would think so as your WiFi would get its address from your VM router but how did you assign the IP addresses for the cabled connection?  Did you use addresses within your home networks range or just any two addresses in the same subnet?

I have a Ubiquiti PoE setup throughout the house whick I have painstakingy installed to avoid the use of additional wifi boosters and PowerLink adapters for the best possible WiFi.  Why Skys boxes wont communicate over the home network seems a stupid oversight unless you're looking to sell booster boxes. 

My main box is wired into my L3 switch for internet connection, which also feeds my WiFi and ideally the main box would use this single connection to reach both the internet and any other Sky devices on my home LAN.  Now I'll have to switch the main box to WiFi, enable a passthrough port on the Wireless Access Point in my bedroom, have my L3 switch connect to the Sky Box on the same VLAN as if it were a direct connection and then hope everything works. 😂

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion