Discussion topic: Lost Freesat on other tv after upgrade to Sky Q

This message was authored by MVDP88 This message was authored by: MVDP88

Lost Freesat on other tv after upgrade to Sky Q

Ever since upgrading from Sky+ to SkyQ on our TVs downstairs, we've lost signal on our LG TV upstairs that has Freesat built in. It's connected to the dish via aerial cable and previously had no issues picking up the free to air channels. Now it's lost all satellite signal and channels and I can't work out what settings I need to get them back. I think the LNB on the dish was upgraded by the Sky engineer when installing Sky Q, does this mean it's no longer compatible with the TV with built in Freesat? 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Lost Freesat on other tv after upgrade to Sky Q

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MVDP88 wrote:

Ever since upgrading from Sky+ to SkyQ on our TVs downstairs, we've lost signal on our LG TV upstairs that has Freesat built in. It's connected to the dish via aerial cable and previously had no issues picking up the free to air channels. Now it's lost all satellite signal and channels and I can't work out what settings I need to get them back. I think the LNB on the dish was upgraded by the Sky engineer when installing Sky Q, does this mean it's no longer compatible with the TV with built in Freesat? 

HI @MVDP88 

SKY Q uses a different type of LNB (Wideband) to Freesat and the older SKY +/HD system (universal)

There is a dual type LNB called a Hybrid LNB but, unfortunately, SKY needed to know before installation & agree to install one.

There is a very slim chance that they will agree to return & fit one of these Hybrid LNBs - alternatively you may need to arrange for an independent installer to install one.  

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi again  @MVDP88 

I have escalated your post to SKY who, hopefully, will be in touch to discuss further  but, as I implied, they might not agree to retrospectively fit a Hybrid LNB

Please see this link re the escalation and what you might see:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

If you are using Safari I believe you must make sure that 'Hide IP adress' is not checked in settings to be able to see it - if you have difficulty finding that setting then may be try accessing here with another browser

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to MVDP88.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MVDP88 wrote:

I think the LNB on the dish was upgraded by the Sky engineer when installing Sky Q, does this mean it's no longer compatible with the TV with built in Freesat? 

Yes, unfortunately, as @nigea99 indicates, that's very likely to be the case.

There used to be an FAQ pinned to the top of this forum which had that as one of its information points, but this has now disappeared.  If it also wasn't mentioned on your sales path, I'd suggest raising this with Sky as part of an argument that you were not adequately informed.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

You would expect the installer to at least mention it when he saw a lead going somewhere else from the dish but unfortunately they rarely do.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Update - Spoken to MVDP88, we have discussed their issues and the options. 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by WTFNUB This message was authored by: WTFNUB

Sky themselves will change the original LNB with the 4 port LNB that is compatible with Freesat.  As they did that for me.

I wasn't at home for the Sky Q install and when I got home it was just the normal 2 port LNB, but a quick call to Sky ( which is never quick ) they came back a couple of days later and installed the Freesat compatible LNB free of charge.

Contact Sky and they might do for you what the did for me.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@WTFNUB wrote:

Sky themselves will change the original LNB with the 4 port LNB that is compatible with Freesat.  As they did that for me.

I wasn't at home for the Sky Q install and when I got home it was just the normal 2 port LNB, but a quick call to Sky ( which is never quick ) they came back a couple of days later and installed the Freesat compatible LNB free of charge.

Contact Sky and they might do for you what the did for me.

Nice advice, but you are responding to a thread that last input was May - I would hope they have been sorted ages ago.

I am just another Sky customer!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion