Discussion topic: LG OLED55CX5LB and Sky Q 2TB issues

This message was authored by nick027 This message was authored by: nick027

LG OLED55CX5LB and Sky Q 2TB issues

Hi

I just bought a new LG OLED55CX5LB, and recently had the new 32B12C Sky Q 2TB box installed.

For a few days now I have found that, occasionally, on switching on the Sky Q, the TV switches on but displays the 'No Signal' screen. This appears to me that it's a disagreement between the TV and the Sky Q somewhere.

I've ruled out, to the best of my ability, HDMI cable and port issues by trying 2 separate cables and HDMI ports 1 and 3 on the TV, and the problem has recurred with both cables in both ports.

Resolving the problem in the short term is as simple as unplugging the HDMI from either the TV or Sky Q, and plugging it back in.

This did not occur at all with my previous Samsung QE49Q7F TV.

I'm desperately hoping someone on here has an idea of a solution for me?

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907 Answer

Re: LG OLED55CX5LB and Sky Q 2TB issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@nick027  I don't know what just happened but someone else posted a possible fix for LG not recognising HMDI issue but it seems to have been taken down. Saw the 2nd youtube video with the fix as below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxtUg67q3PM&list=LLAvCOMNZsfcb_w1rmW2fjFQ

Basically this guy is saying to switch off Quick stat + in settings.

I had this switched off and as mentioned i don't have your issue so maybe that's it.  Just to note my other settings are SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) ON and programme kist update OFF.

Hope you get it sorted.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

Hi @nick027 

With both my (now broken) 2016 LG E6V and my new 2020 LG CX6LA,  I found the HDMI control (Sky Q box) and the Simplink (LG) were a bit annoying and inconsistent- so turned them both off 

It does mean that I have to turn on my Sky Q box and TV individually, but that doesn't bother me and I have no connection issues 

So I guess my question is - do you have these turned on and would it bother you to turn them off ? 

I assume also that you have activated the HDMI Deep colour setting (or whatever it's called) on your LG ports 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

nick027
Topic Author

@mike+simmonds HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour is switched on yes. I've found a suggestion elsewhere that turning off  'programme list update' in the free view tuning settings might help, so I'm currently trying that and waiting to see if the problem reoccurs.

My parents have the Sky Q mini and the same TV and have had no problems.

If that doesn't seem to work for me, then I will try turning off CEC and Simplink as my next option while I try to get information from LG.

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@nick027  I don't if my LG settings are different to yours but mine (LG 43UN74006LB)  seems to work fine. Both Q and TV are new.

I use the Sky Q remote power button to turn on and off the sky Q and TV at same time.

In powering down i point  remote at TV and hold power button a few secs which turns off TV to standby. Then a quick press to Sky Q which turns it to stand by.

In powering up next day one quick towards both and both come on with TV going to last used TV channel in sky.

I only really use the LG magic remote for Apps such as netlix, Prime etc and some BBC HD recordings which i record to HDD as freeview HD pic quality seems better.

On my sky Q i have the HDMI control ON. On the TV i have SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) ON and programme list update OFF.

Thanks Dan

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
nick027
Topic Author

@Doc5907 thanks for that info, it sounds like the program list update setting has promise. Hopefully this time tomorrow I will be able to report back here with a day free of problems after changing that. 🤞 

This message was authored by Piesarus This message was authored by: Piesarus

@nick027 wrote:

Hi

I just bought a new LG OLED55CX5LB, and recently had the new 32B12C Sky Q 2TB box installed.

For a few days now I have found that, occasionally, on switching on the Sky Q, the TV switches on but displays the 'No Signal' screen. This appears to me that it's a disagreement between the TV and the Sky Q somewhere.

I've ruled out, to the best of my ability, HDMI cable and port issues by trying 2 separate cables and HDMI ports 1 and 3 on the TV, and the problem has recurred with both cables in both ports.

Resolving the problem in the short term is as simple as unplugging the HDMI from either the TV or Sky Q, and plugging it back in.

This did not occur at all with my previous Samsung QE49Q7F TV.

I'm desperately hoping someone on here has an idea of a solution for me?

Thanks

I assume you're using the Sky remote to switch on the TV and Q? That's what I use with my LG C9, not the magic remote and it works like a charm. I use the magic remote for all none SkyQ kit, or just ask Alexa to switch TV off and on etc. Simplink on and SkyQ set HDMI control to on.

This message was authored by kop32 This message was authored by: kop32

@nick027 wrote:

@mike+simmonds HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour is switched on yes. I've found a suggestion elsewhere that turning off  'programme list update' in the free view tuning settings might help, so I'm currently trying that and waiting to see if the problem reoccurs.

My parents have the Sky Q mini and the same TV and have had no problems.

If that doesn't seem to work for me, then I will try turning off CEC and Simplink as my next option while I try to get information from LG.

@nick027 I have an LG TV and found that since I turned off  SIMPLINK (CEC) on my TV (but left Ultra HD Deep Colour  on) my TV goes straight to my Sky Q everytime,I simply press the power button on the Sky Q remote which turns the TV on and then the Home button to power on the Sky Q box,it's never failed since I did this over 6 months ago.

PS I tried the "programme list update" fix but it didn't make a jot of difference.

Sky Q Silver,2 x Mini Box's, VM 1 gb Broadband and TP-Link Deco X50 AX3000 Whole Home AI-Driven Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System
nick027
Topic Author

So now I've spoken to Sky 'must be an LG issue', spoken to LG 'must be a Sky issue' 😂.

Turned off the 'programme list update' setting, then this morning got the no signal screen again.

Then I decided to speak to the assistant manager at Richer Sounds where I bought the TV. He suggested that it may be a case of turning off HDMI Ultra Hd Deep Colour. He explained that a customer had a similar issue with a Blu Ray player, and that this fixed that issue.

Apparently this is a known issue with LG that they are working on an update to fix, where sometimes it is scanning for UHD deep colour, and won't find the right signal so decides there isn't one at all.

So current status, trying that and going to monitor the situation.

My final port of call if this doesn't work will be turning off HDMI CEC and Simplink.

I'll continue to keep the thread up to date with my progress.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

On the LG TV, just turn of the Quick Start and that should fix it.

See thsi video, which should explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4vKRdl69O0

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907 Answer

@nick027  I don't know what just happened but someone else posted a possible fix for LG not recognising HMDI issue but it seems to have been taken down. Saw the 2nd youtube video with the fix as below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxtUg67q3PM&list=LLAvCOMNZsfcb_w1rmW2fjFQ

Basically this guy is saying to switch off Quick stat + in settings.

I had this switched off and as mentioned i don't have your issue so maybe that's it.  Just to note my other settings are SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) ON and programme kist update OFF.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by mike+simmonds This message was authored by: mike+simmonds

"He suggested that it may be a case of turning off HDMI Ultra Hd Deep Colour."

Although by doing so @nick027 you won't be able to view anything in UHD

My understanding is that this setting isn't for a particular type of UHD but for all

types of UHD 

Sky customer since 1989.
Sky Q 2TB main box
LG CX6LA from 2020

Have a look at Sky Store – A quick guide for users

Have a look at Maximising the sound quality of your Sky Soundbox

nick027
Topic Author

I also saw the Quick Start plus thing before it disappeared, and have turned that off first.

The biggest problem I have with this, is that wouldn't it be great if TV's and devices designed to connect to TVs just worked in harmony? We can dream lol.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I posted the turn off quick start and video link.

I can only guess it was taken down as it had the YouTube link...

Oh well!

nick027
Topic Author

Quick Start plus turned off looks like it's the solution so far. Must be a disagreement between the 2tb box and that part of the software.

It's turned on on my parents TV with the mini with no problems strangely.

Maybe lg or sky will fix it in future?

This message was authored by Piesarus This message was authored by: Piesarus

@nick027  Quick Start and Channel Update are better off, especially Channel Update. The reason is the TVs WiFi connection can be slow to wake up causing problems. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion