Internittent sound drop outs (New post, original has gone missing)...

Researcher
Post 16 of 53

Re: Internittent sound drop outs (New post, original has gone missing)...

I got Sky Q installed on Friday and have been having intermitent issues with picture and sound drop off since then. Happens on both downloads and live TV. I called sky and they told me it is a known issue with Toahiba TVs. I have to call Toshiba so will send me an update for the TV on a USB stick. 

If it was a known issue why didn’t the installation engineer mention it? Been quite frustrating over the weekend.

Oracle
Post 17 of 53

@Louscott82 wrote:

I got Sky Q installed on Friday and have been having intermitent issues with picture and sound drop off since then. Happens on both downloads and live TV. I called sky and they told me it is a known issue with Toahiba TVs. I have to call Toshiba so will send me an update for the TV on a USB stick. 

If it was a known issue why didn’t the installation engineer mention it? Been quite frustrating over the weekend.

The installer may not have been aware. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.
Sound Designer
Post 18 of 53

I used to have this problem constantly on my old sky+ HD, but never had it at all on Q until the last update (Q70), now its constant unless I change from dolby digital to normal. That cures it but the sound isn't as good.

So, despite all the convoluted excuses from Sky it's blindingly obvious it's a Sky Q box problem and they need to sort it! 

Sky Q 1TB
1 mini box
Wi fi (connected by Sky Booster)
Virgin BB
First Assistant Director
Post 19 of 53

I know for a fact that sound drop out occurs via a mini on:-

1. LG Soundbar.

2. Yamaha Soundbar.

3. Onkyo receiver.

3 different sound systems from 3 different manufacturers and the one thing common to all three is the Sky Q mini. Any claim its equipment related can be roundly ignored, it is a Q mini issue they simply cannot solve I am afraid.

Researcher
Post 20 of 53

My issue with is my main Sky Q 2TB box - with sound on normal. No issues on Sky Q mini box and had no issue with Sky+ box. Awaiting an update from Toshiba for the TV so hopefully that sorts it. 

Researcher
Post 21 of 53

Success. The software update for my TV seems to have done the trick. Just would have been good to know before hand since it’s a ‘known issue’  as far as sky were concerned.

Boom Operator
Post 22 of 53

Glad to read the latest update may have solved problem . Sound dropout from our Mini through Sky soundbox is unbearable and only solution is to change output to normal. Unfortunately the mini box keeps changing it back to Dolby Digital when we turn it off at night !!!

Runner
Post 23 of 53

I have my sky Q mini box running via HDMI through my yamaha YSP2700 sound bar. When set in dolby digital output the sound constantly drops out for 1-2seconds at a time.. This is on live or recorded or even downloaded.. soon as I switch to normal sound output its perfect... But then theres no point me having an all singing all dancing soundbar... Needs sorting. Not acceptable

Researcher
Post 24 of 53

Thank yu so much for this advice going to try it before I throw the whole piggin lot off St. Bees Head.

Researcher
Post 25 of 53

I have a Panasonic TV and it dose it.

Production Supervisor
Post 26 of 53

I had this issue on the main box but it seems to have been resolved a while back, but I have just bought a sound bar for 5.1 surround on a mini and the drop outs are terrible. Trying to watch the England game on BBC in 5.1 was awful... now trying to watch Westworld it was so bad on the recording, I deleted it and downloaded the on demand version and it is still bad.

All my boxes are hard wired and WiFi disabled.

the optical cable is connected straight to the Sky Q box.

if I disable Dolby and go to Normal then it is fine, but the boxes are supposed to to Dolby 5.1 so it is not an acceptable fix.

If I plug the sound bar into other sources (TV, Apple TV, Blu-ray etc) it is fine so it is 100% a Sky Q issue.

Researcher
Post 27 of 53

Thank you for this information.

Production Supervisor
Post 28 of 53

I should also add that at least one of my other TV’s with a Mini connected can accept Dolby Digital and process it correctly, again there are always drops on sky Q when set to Dolby, but as there is no surround sound I have set it to Normal, although Dolby does sound better I cannot live with the drops.

hopefuly Sky will be able to fix the Mini’s soon.

Researcher
Post 29 of 53

I think it says in the AudiVideo menu that Sky Mini boxes do not support DD or DD plus.

The most annoying ithing s that it defaults back to DD once you turn it off.  Why not have normal as the adefault on Sky Mini ?

Can we feed this back to Sky somehow...

Production Supervisor
Post 30 of 53

Mini’s do not support DD Plus... DD plus is only on 2TB boxes

Dolby Digital IS supported on Mini’s and has done since day 1 of Sky Q.