Installation - access to TV

Answered
Go to Answer
Runner
Post 1 of 10

Installation - access to TV

Google and searching through info received from Sky has not yielded any answers. 

We’re having Sky Q installed today including dish at a property we haven’t moved into properly yet - all furniture, electricals, etc are still in storage. As a result we don’t have any TVs there. Will the engineer need a TV To complete installation?

Many thanks.

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Camera Operator
Post 4 of 10

Re: Installation - access to TV

I suspect the answer is yes, otherwise how can he see the on screen messages necessary to set the system up and leave you with a working system. I expect he will tell you to make a new appointment when you have a TV or TVs and Broadband available.

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 10

@StuartP1986 wrote:

Google and searching through info received from Sky has not yielded any answers. 

We’re having Sky Q installed today including dish at a property we haven’t moved into properly yet - all furniture, electricals, etc are still in storage. As a result we don’t have any TVs there. Will the engineer need a TV To complete installation?

Many thanks.

Hi @StuartP1986 Yes the Engineer will need a tv  and a working broadband connection to set up your SKYQ, he may well refuse to continue with the installation without them!?

Executive Producer
Post 3 of 10

@StuartP1986 wrote:

Many thanks.

Yes and also a working internet/WiFi connection to enable setting up. The installer will need to see the TV on screen instructions and be able to confirm it works which can not be done without a TV.

Answer
Camera Operator
Post 4 of 10

I suspect the answer is yes, otherwise how can he see the on screen messages necessary to set the system up and leave you with a working system. I expect he will tell you to make a new appointment when you have a TV or TVs and Broadband available.

Runner
Post 5 of 10

Thank you all for  your very quick responses. A speedy  trip to the storage unit will be in order! 

First Assistant Director
Post 6 of 10

@StuartP1986 wrote:

Thank you all for  your very quick responses. A speedy  trip to the storage unit will be in order! 

Is broadband enabled yet at property as this will be another sticking point

First Assistant Director
Post 7 of 10

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@StuartP1986 wrote:

I had Q installed with no broadband. The engineer used his phone to get Internet to the Q box. But he was unable to setup the Mini and left me with the Mini and a booster (just in case I needed it). Hesaid to call him if I needed help installing the mini once the Internet was working. The install for the Internet was still going on when the engineer left. He did connect the Q box to the Q Hub though. So after the net was up and running, I was able to connect the mini

The point of the story is that I had the Q hub and no Internet and the engineer was able to install Q. Granted, the net was being installed the same day.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Highlighted
Oracle
Post 8 of 10

@JonW42 wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

@StuartP1986 wrote:

I had Q installed with no broadband. The engineer used his phone to get Internet to the Q box. But he was unable to setup the Mini and left me with the Mini and a booster (just in case I needed it). Hesaid to call him if I needed help installing the mini once the Internet was working. The install for the Internet was still going on when the engineer left. He did connect the Q box to the Q Hub though. So after the net was up and running, I was able to connect the mini

The point of the story is that I had the Q hub and no Internet and the engineer was able to install Q. Granted, the net was being installed the same day.

@JonW42 You were lucky as technically without a working broadband then the engineer should not have installed your system. There have been many customers where the engineers have refused to install due to no working broadband

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer

imagebam.com

imagebam.com

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, Sky Q Hub, all connected by wifi
Sky Boxset, multiscreen/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited, LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV
Oracle
Post 9 of 10

@Laing1 I think the engineers have a degree of flexibility and a lot will depend on when the internet connection is expected to be installed. If it's weeks away they usually seem to refuse but if in a few days they can set it up using a phone hotspot.

The Minis won't work without a router being available to issue IP addresses so having a router on and working even without an internet connection helps.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
First Assistant Director
Post 10 of 10

@Chrisee wrote:

@Laing1 I think the engineers have a degree of flexibility and a lot will depend on when the internet connection is expected to be installed. If it's weeks away they usually seem to refuse but if in a few days they can set it up using a phone hotspot.

The Minis won't work without a router being available to issue IP addresses so having a router on and working even without an internet connection helps.

The OpenReach installer came while the Q installer was here. So the engineer knew the Internet was soon to be up and running.
Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Recommended Threads
Oracle 07-12-2018 07:45 PM
10-08-2018 07:08 PM
Oracle 12-09-2018 08:12 PM
Oracle 02-11-2018 08:27 PM
26-11-2018 07:34 AM