Reply

I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Reply
Runner
Posts: 3
Post 121 of 227
771 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

I am also having this issue and have done for around a year.  I have nothing else connected to my tv other than my Sky Q box which worked completely fine  when I first got it installed back in 2016.  I have tried other devices with the HDMI cable and they all work fine.  It just keeps dropping out and the only way to get it back is to switch the power on and off on at the mains which i didnt mind so much when it was only once a week but it is now happening daily.  After having enough last night i contacted Sky and they are sending out an engineer next week but after reading this thread I feel resigned to there been no solution until a software update is released.  If anyone gets any further updates please let me know.

Boom Operator
Posts: 16
Post 122 of 227
770 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Didn't someone earlier in the thread buy one and it made no difference? I've been onto Sky and they are sending an engineer out in a week with a version 1 box to see if that resolves the problem. Hopefully on the interim an update may solve the problem (fingers crossed) and I'll report back here. 

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 110
Post 123 of 227
761 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@zAndy12 wrote:

Ok so I've just had the engineer round to look at this problem, we tried 

 

a) doing another software update and reset of the box

b) using a different input on the amp

c) turning hdmi control off and on 

d) a brand new V2 box

 

Nothing solved it , the new box did exactly the same as my current box (so he left me with my original box as it's clearly not a hardware issue). He's reported the software fault and made a note of all my kit and said Sky will do tests with the ultimate aim of fixing it in a future software update 

So there , no faulty hard drive , no hardware problem at all but a software problem confirmed by the engineer . Thank you , Sky over to you....


Have you tried connecting Q directly to your TV then routing the sound from your TV back to your amp either by HDMI or Optical? I appreciate completely thats not how you want this to work but it might work for you and for a shortwhile minimise you having to constantly reboot Q until they fix it?

Boom Operator
Posts: 26
Post 124 of 227
755 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Phrim wrote:

@McGrath1982 wrote:

Not been on here for awhile. But thank god ive found this post. I’ve got a LG 50UH661V 4K tv with Sky Q 2TB box and mini upstairs. This happens every single day in my house. I’ve had enough of the whole system tbh. I’m just sick and tired of resetting the box on a daily basis to get it to work. I’ve tried HDMI control on/off new cables etc and this happens regardless. I’ve had a tv company through my insurance test the tv for 3 weeks and it came back with no faults. This has been going on for at least 6 months. I’ve seen that it happens after a PS3/4 has been on but it happens to me first thing in the morning when the box has been on standby mode or after the my PS4 has been on. Nothing I’ve done has changed anything. I phone Sky up and they seem to nothing about this issue. Rant over 🤬🤬🤬🤬


Have you tried using a HDMI CEC blocking connector or the Sky Q HDMI cable as even with HDMI control disabled on the Sky Q box it still appears to react to CEC signal from other equipement


I tried the CEC less adaptor, unfortunately it did nothing for my set up.  The only thing that has helped me is turning off eArc on my Sony Amp. Mine starts up ok with this disabled but still get the black screen if I switch inputs without turning the sky Q box off.

Boom Operator
Posts: 26
Post 125 of 227
752 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Jimb0tr0n wrote:

Didn't someone earlier in the thread buy one and it made no difference? I've been onto Sky and they are sending an engineer out in a week with a version 1 box to see if that resolves the problem. Hopefully on the interim an update may solve the problem (fingers crossed) and I'll report back here. 


Yes I tried one and it made no difference for my set up.

Camera Assistant
Posts: 160
Post 126 of 227
746 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@stefmeister wrote:

@zAndy12 wrote:

Ok so I've just had the engineer round to look at this problem, we tried 

 

a) doing another software update and reset of the box

b) using a different input on the amp

c) turning hdmi control off and on 

d) a brand new V2 box

 

Nothing solved it , the new box did exactly the same as my current box (so he left me with my original box as it's clearly not a hardware issue). He's reported the software fault and made a note of all my kit and said Sky will do tests with the ultimate aim of fixing it in a future software update 

So there , no faulty hard drive , no hardware problem at all but a software problem confirmed by the engineer . Thank you , Sky over to you....


Have you tried connecting Q directly to your TV then routing the sound from your TV back to your amp either by HDMI or Optical? I appreciate completely thats not how you want this to work but it might work for you and for a shortwhile minimise you having to constantly reboot Q until they fix it?


Yes tried that, non starter cos you then get audio sync problems that can't be corrected i.e. any audio delay adjustment just makes it worse not better

Camera Assistant
Posts: 160
Post 127 of 227
740 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@simonjohn1985 wrote:

I am also having this issue and have done for around a year.  I have nothing else connected to my tv other than my Sky Q box which worked completely fine  when I first got it installed back in 2016.  I have tried other devices with the HDMI cable and they all work fine.  It just keeps dropping out and the only way to get it back is to switch the power on and off on at the mains which i didnt mind so much when it was only once a week but it is now happening daily.  After having enough last night i contacted Sky and they are sending out an engineer next week but after reading this thread I feel resigned to there been no solution until a software update is released.  If anyone gets any further updates please let me know.


When you say you're having this issue and have been for a year, are the symptoms exactly the same i.e black screen with no sound but sound for a few seconds when you put the box into standby? I suspect yours is a different issue albeit perhaps with similar symptoms but as I'm convinced the issue myself and several others are having was introduced with the latest software update I'd be very surprised if your symptoms are exactly the same....

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 110
Post 128 of 227
723 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV



Yes tried that, non starter cos you then get audio sync problems that can't be corrected i.e. any audio delay adjustment just makes it worse not better

Indeed you do unless you use optical not HDMI and don't go further than Dolby (loosing atmos potential).........

 

I'm suprised Sky don't engage with us forum users directly to trial fixes for them - after all we are the experts in all the things that don't work properly.

Runner
Posts: 3
Post 129 of 227
714 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@zAndy12 wrote:


When you say you're having this issue and have been for a year, are the symptoms exactly the same i.e black screen with no sound but sound for a few seconds when you put the box into standby? I suspect yours is a different issue albeit perhaps with similar symptoms but as I'm convinced the issue myself and several others are having was introduced with the latest software update I'd be very surprised if your symptoms are exactly the same....

I am happily sat watching the mighty Boro try their best to beat Stoke City on Saturday night and the screen goes blank and tv reads "No HDMI Output".  Normally it just intermittently cuts out for a second and the picture is restored without me having to to do anything but the last couple of weeks the only way to restore the connection has been to turn the sky box on and off at the plug and wait until the sky q box has rebooted itself.   I dont have the sound issue although sometimes i have  had aloss of sound but still had the picture and i then put the box on to standby and the sound returns when i turn it back on.  It sounds very similar to the issues above and has progressively got worse.  I am unsure when the latest update was?!? But this issue has got so much worse the past couple of weeks or so.

Sound Supervisor
Posts: 88
Post 130 of 227
669 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@simonjohn1985 wrote:

@zAndy12 wrote:


When you say you're having this issue and have been for a year, are the symptoms exactly the same i.e black screen with no sound but sound for a few seconds when you put the box into standby? I suspect yours is a different issue albeit perhaps with similar symptoms but as I'm convinced the issue myself and several others are having was introduced with the latest software update I'd be very surprised if your symptoms are exactly the same....

I am happily sat watching the mighty Boro try their best to beat Stoke City on Saturday night and the screen goes blank and tv reads "No HDMI Output".  Normally it just intermittently cuts out for a second and the picture is restored without me having to to do anything but the last couple of weeks the only way to restore the connection has been to turn the sky box on and off at the plug and wait until the sky q box has rebooted itself.   I dont have the sound issue although sometimes i have  had aloss of sound but still had the picture and i then put the box on to standby and the sound returns when i turn it back on.  It sounds very similar to the issues above and has progressively got worse.  I am unsure when the latest update was?!? But this issue has got so much worse the past couple of weeks or so.


Do you have 4k/2160p selected as the output? If so, then it sounds like other parts of your setup are not up to the job of maintaining a stable Ultra HD connection.  You might need to replace cables or other equipment, and in the short term, I would suggest you force the Sky Q to output only in 1080i/p.

Boom Operator
Posts: 15
Post 131 of 227
667 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@stefmeister wrote:

@zAndy12 wrote:

Ok so I've just had the engineer round to look at this problem, we tried 

 

a) doing another software update and reset of the box

b) using a different input on the amp

c) turning hdmi control off and on 

d) a brand new V2 box

 

Nothing solved it , the new box did exactly the same as my current box (so he left me with my original box as it's clearly not a hardware issue). He's reported the software fault and made a note of all my kit and said Sky will do tests with the ultimate aim of fixing it in a future software update 

So there , no faulty hard drive , no hardware problem at all but a software problem confirmed by the engineer . Thank you , Sky over to you....


Have you tried connecting Q directly to your TV then routing the sound from your TV back to your amp either by HDMI or Optical? I appreciate completely thats not how you want this to work but it might work for you and for a shortwhile minimise you having to constantly reboot Q until they fix it?


Connect Sky Q to TV with HDMI and Sky Q straight to amp with Optical cable (not via TV).

Boom Operator
Posts: 15
Post 132 of 227
664 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

If you have any lip-sync problems, try going to Settings/Setup/Audio visual/Digital audio delay.

Camera Assistant
Posts: 160
Post 133 of 227
656 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Jinty+McGinty wrote:

If you have any lip-sync problems, try going to Settings/Setup/Audio visual/Digital audio delay.


As I said no adjustment of the audio delay fixes it it just makes it worse because the audio is behind the video so adding more audio delay doesn't help

Camera Assistant
Posts: 160
Post 134 of 227
654 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Jinty+McGinty wrote:

@stefmeister wrote:

@zAndy12 wrote:

Ok so I've just had the engineer round to look at this problem, we tried 

 

a) doing another software update and reset of the box

b) using a different input on the amp

c) turning hdmi control off and on 

d) a brand new V2 box

 

Nothing solved it , the new box did exactly the same as my current box (so he left me with my original box as it's clearly not a hardware issue). He's reported the software fault and made a note of all my kit and said Sky will do tests with the ultimate aim of fixing it in a future software update 

So there , no faulty hard drive , no hardware problem at all but a software problem confirmed by the engineer . Thank you , Sky over to you....


Have you tried connecting Q directly to your TV then routing the sound from your TV back to your amp either by HDMI or Optical? I appreciate completely thats not how you want this to work but it might work for you and for a shortwhile minimise you having to constantly reboot Q until they fix it?


Connect Sky Q to TV with HDMI and Sky Q straight to amp with Optical cable (not via TV).


It's an option but you lose Atmos audio if you do that so it's certainly not a long term solution

Runner
Posts: 3
Post 135 of 227
651 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@hackenbacker wrote:


Do you have 4k/2160p selected as the output? If so, then it sounds like other parts of your setup are not up to the job of maintaining a stable Ultra HD connection.  You might need to replace cables or other equipment, and in the short term, I would suggest you force the Sky Q to output only in 1080i/p.

I currently have 1080i/p selected as the forced sky q output so it can't be any other parts of my setup and I never had any problems for the first year or so my current box is the Sky Q 1TB box.  I dont need to replace HDMI cables as other devices work fine with them and I have no other equipment connected up to this TV.  I am hoping the Sky engineer will sort the problem on Monday.

Reply