I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Camera Assistant
Post 91 of 227

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

@Julie.5f6 wrote:

@hackenbacker wrote:

@zAndy12 wrote:
That wasn't exactly very good advice considering the increasing evidence that the latest firmware is causing problems , I wish I could go back to the previous firmware and you know what I bet if I did my box would go back to being stable again 

For the time being, I've set my box to use 2160p 8-bit rather than 2160p 10-bit (there isn't much point in 10-bit while they aren't supporting HDR).

My suspicion is that there is a problem with certain picture resolution modes and/or the judder reduction setting.

But as I can't reliably trigger the problem, it's hard to say if something has fixed it or not.

It might be worth you changing these settings and seeing if they make a difference to the behaviour (as I said, 8-bit isn't going to cost you anything on current broadcasts, and you aren't going to miss disabling judder reduction for anything that isn't Netflix)

I have had this problem for ages even before the firmware update to Q80. It only happened once every few days or so before the update but after Q80 it was 3 times every day.

I have the box plugged into a Denon x3400 and that plugged into the ARC hdmi on a LG OLED B7.

Four or 5 days ago I changed from 2160p 10 bit to 2160p 8 bit.

Since doing this I have not had the problem. I also unplugged a android tv box though which also uses CEC so I am unsure whether it was changing to 8 bit or unplugging the Android TV box which has made it better.

I will soon reconnect the Android TV and report back here with my findings.

I guess the danger with setting the box to 8bit as a workaround (if it works) is that people will be less inclined to hassle sky for a proper fix and when HDR arrives (if it ever does) and we need to switch back to 10 bit again we'll be back to square one with unstable boxes. If the workaround does work though it also proves a) it's a software problem and b) it will likely affect a much smaller subset of sky q users than the whole population. I think this issue is maybe restricted to people with higher end set ups going via soundbars / amps to arc inputs on TV's . Anyway there's more and more evidence I think that this is indeed a software issue not hardware and engineers saying that just gives more weight to that argument. It's easy to blame hardware but these symptoms are definitely indicative of software problems

Boom Operator
Post 92 of 227

I have an older lg oled (lg eg920v) all sources going through my denon x2200 amp then into arc hdmi 2. My TV has always been set to 8bit, 1080p and I first developed this fault post update. Its just annoying as hell. I'm not fussed about Netflix integration, it worked perfectly/better on my lg app. I too wish I could roll back to previous firmware, but apparently that's not possible, nor is it possible to get a new box and prevent the update. 

Boom Operator
Post 93 of 227

complaint submitted. please everyone on here do the same!

Boom Operator
Post 94 of 227

@Jimb0tr0n wrote:

complaint submitted. please everyone on here do the same!

I have submitted a complaint too.

Researcher
Post 95 of 227

Where did you go to raise complaint? It’s interesting to read thread particularly from the Sony DN1080 AVR owners. 

I have exactly the same symptoms..all other inputs into my amp work fine apart from Sky Q. I’m having to do system reset every time I’ve switched inputs which is mega frustrating.

Ive had engineer round previously who told me to connect Sky Q direct to my Panasonic DX902 (4K) TV and use optical to connect to AVR. Also told me to change from 10bit to 8bit. I did this for a while but it started to p155 me off - 1) cos I want 10bit as my TV supports it and 2) Can’t get atmos via optical.

Panasonic TX65-DX902B 4k 10bit FALD
Sony STR-DN1080 AVR
KEF Q750 Q650C Q350
KEF Kube2 10b Sub
Sony PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Player
Sound Designer
Post 96 of 227

I seem to be only getting the black screen when I have used my AVR for anything other than Sky Q then powering the AVR down.  If I use the AVR for any other input than Sky Q then switch the AVR to Sky Q input before powering down I don't get the black screen, so I have a work around.  Sky Q is set to pass thru on my AVR when in standby.

My setup: Sky Q > Denon AVR > LG E6 oled (Input 2 ARC)

I posted this in the other thread which relates to the same issue.

Edit: Just to add.  I've read people saying that they think the Sky Q box is crashing when the screen goes black.  Is that the case or is it just that it loses it's connection?  It is still possible for me to use the remote to put Sky Q in and out of standby when I get the black screen.  Does this suggest that the box has not crashed, just lost the connection to AVR/TV?  Not sure if this is worth mentioning but I thought I would for clarity sake.

Camera Assistant
Post 97 of 227

@thumbs83 wrote:

I seem to be only getting the black screen when I have used my AVR for anything other than Sky Q then powering the AVR down.  If I use the AVR for any other input than Sky Q then switch the AVR to Sky Q input before powering down I don't get the black screen, so I have a work around.  Sky Q is set to pass thru on my AVR when in standby.

My setup: Sky Q > Denon AVR > LG E6 oled (Input 2 ARC)

I posted this in the other thread which relates to the same issue.

Edit: Just to add.  I've read people saying that they think the Sky Q box is crashing when the screen goes black.  Is that the case or is it just that it loses it's connection?  It is still possible for me to use the remote to put Sky Q in and out of standby when I get the black screen.  Does this suggest that the box has not crashed, just lost the connection to AVR/TV?  Not sure if this is worth mentioning but I thought I would for clarity sake.

Do you find that when you have the black screen and put it in standby you get audio for a few seconds and when you bring it out of standby the audio cuts out again?

Sound Designer
Post 98 of 227

@zAndy12In a word, yes.

Runner
Post 99 of 227

Yep exactly my problem as well

The 8bit trick doesn’t seem to make any difference for me. 

I’ve logged a complaint

Boom Operator
Post 100 of 227

Well since latest firmware update my sky Q box is a nightmare. They fixed UHD flicker for V1 boxes but have introduced so many new issues. 

My Sky Q box needs power cycling each morning i turn on the tv for it to connect properly to the tv to acheive a picture.

Secondly occasionally the screen just goes black, this resolves with a channel change on the box.

Come on sky what the hell have you done?

I have tried changing the HDMI settings in the tv and the box, also tried the 8bit picure trick to no avail.

I have a V2 box connected to  a samsung nu8070. All was well before this update now well it is a bit poop!!

Come on sky pull finger out!

Camera Assistant
Post 101 of 227

Video of the issue..

https://youtu.be/kZ84J6O6SWI

Sound Supervisor
Post 102 of 227

@zAndy12 wrote:

Video of the issue..

https://youtu.be/kZ84J6O6SWI

Hi @zAndy12 - i lay money that if you were to take an optical feed out of the Qbox and use that as the audio source you would have the audio all the time (not just when switching/powering down) and the black screen. Thats the issue i am seeing as i am no longer using HDMI for the sound due to sync issues.  

I am not seeing the issue as frequently since using a non arc input on the C8 - i have had 1 occurance in the last 3 weeks and this happened when i was watching Amazon Prime Video on the C8 app then (using a harmony remote) switched to SkyQ.

There is something awry with how Sky are using HDMI which they seem to be pushing as an issue to every other manufacturer.

Sound Supervisor
Post 103 of 227

@stefmeister wrote:
There is something awry with how Sky are using HDMI which they seem to be pushing as an issue to every other manufacturer.

And yet on an E6, using an ARC port, it worked perfectly until they updated the firmware. Whilst a Virgin V6 box would frequently drop to a black screen randomly whilst watching it - not just when you switch to it. Although unlike Sky, you could just switch away and back to it. When this current problem occurs, the Sky box is unusable unless you reboot or connect to another (lower resolution) display to force an output change.

Yes, there are problems with Sky's software - but they are by no means the only ones that are going awry with this.

Sound Supervisor
Post 104 of 227

@hackenbacker wrote:

Yes, there are problems with Sky's software - but they are by no means the only ones that are going awry with this.

I do accept that - but its a harder pill to swallow that Sky's pursuit is for more money (in this case s/w to support Netflix) and they appear to have no interest in fixing or acknowledging problems that are already there and in some cases making them even worse.

Researcher
Post 105 of 227

Thanks for posting the video. That is exactly what has been happening to me, even the few seconds of audio after I put the Q into standby. I was blaming my new soundbar from Samsung and was almost returning it for a new one.

Recommended Threads
7 minutes ago 04:04 PM
37 minutes ago 03:34 PM
Oracle 42 minutes ago 03:29 PM
Oracle 51 minutes ago 03:20 PM
54 minutes ago 03:17 PM