I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Sound Supervisor
Post 76 of 227

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

@zAndy12 wrote:

Having the exact same problems as described in the last few pages, and it's all very well saying 'well my box is fine so it can't be the firmware' sorry but that's nonsense, all depends how things are configured. For anyone that's not having any problems how have you got your box connected to your TV and what TV is it? 

Hi @zAndy12 LG C8 - Any port other than the Arc enabled port2 is Less problematic. I have not had a start up issue recently . The latest s/w (v80) made no difference as far as I can see. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 77 of 227

@stefmeister wrote:

Hi @zAndy12 LG C8 - Any port other than the Arc enabled port2 is Less problematic. I have not had a start up issue recently . The latest s/w (v80) made no difference as far as I can see. 

Ever since installation 3-4 months ago, my Sky Q has been connected to a Denon AVR, and then to the ARC port 2 on the TV.

I had ZERO problems until the new firmware, and now I've had two blank screens when switching HDMI inputs since then. But it's not consistent - I can switch HDMI inputs without a getting a blank screen. But it does happen sometimes.

Boom Operator
Post 78 of 227

Sony STR DN1080 Owners.

I have disabled eArc in the HDMI settings in the amp menu and all appears to be ok. 

Give it a try.

Boom Operator
Post 79 of 227

@Chrisee wrote:

@zebman101 it would be sensible to force an update in the Settings/details go to the right of the firmware version - running old firmware can cause issues.

Ok, so had the new box for day and a half and just got the black screen issue, which proves it's a firmware issue as before update all was fine

Camera Assistant
Post 80 of 227

@zebman101 wrote:

@Chrisee wrote:

@zebman101 it would be sensible to force an update in the Settings/details go to the right of the firmware version - running old firmware can cause issues.

Ok, so had the new box for day and a half and just got the black screen issue, which proves it's a firmware issue

Thank you, finally someone saying what we all know to be the case. Stable box, new software update and it crashes every 5 mins (ok slight exaggeration but at least once a day) , pretty obvious where the problem lies to me especially when the are multiple people reporting the same issues 

Camera Assistant
Post 81 of 227

@Chrisee wrote:

That wasn't exactly very good advice considering the increasing evidence that the latest firmware is causing problems , I wish I could go back to the previous firmware and you know what I bet if I did my box would go back to being stable again 

Boom Operator
Post 82 of 227

Any chance of getting an official announcement from sky acknowledging that this is a issue and will be sorted soon?

Director of Photography
Post 83 of 227

@zebman101 wrote:

Any chance of getting an official announcement from sky acknowledging that this is a issue and will be sorted soon?

Hi @zebman101 @zAndy12  It is no good whinging on here, you need to record your concerns to Sky https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint/:

Sound Supervisor
Post 84 of 227

@zAndy12 wrote:
That wasn't exactly very good advice considering the increasing evidence that the latest firmware is causing problems , I wish I could go back to the previous firmware and you know what I bet if I did my box would go back to being stable again 

For the time being, I've set my box to use 2160p 8-bit rather than 2160p 10-bit (there isn't much point in 10-bit while they aren't supporting HDR).

My suspicion is that there is a problem with certain picture resolution modes and/or the judder reduction setting.

But as I can't reliably trigger the problem, it's hard to say if something has fixed it or not.

It might be worth you changing these settings and seeing if they make a difference to the behaviour (as I said, 8-bit isn't going to cost you anything on current broadcasts, and you aren't going to miss disabling judder reduction for anything that isn't Netflix)

Boom Operator
Post 85 of 227

@JayCW wrote:

Sony STR DN1080 Owners.

I have disabled eArc in the HDMI settings in the amp menu and all appears to be ok. 

Give it a try.

Noticed on Sony support website that firmware update M41.R.0442 (release date 10/10/2018) for 1080 amp has added support for eARC feature. I disabled eARC and Sky Q was ok going back from Blu-Ray player setting. Tried going back from Game (ps3) and had the original problem return!

Boom Operator
Post 86 of 227

The main thing is,  I had no problems whatsoever when I had the Sky+HD box - it worked for years without a glitch.

Boom Operator
Post 87 of 227

@Jinty+McGinty wrote:

@JayCW wrote:

Sony STR DN1080 Owners.

Give it a try.

Noticed on Sony support website that firmware update M41.R.0442 (release date 10/10/2018) for 1080 amp has added support for eARC feature. I disabled eARC and Sky Q was ok going back from Blu-Ray player setting. Tried going back from Game (ps3) and had the original problem return!

Ok, just switched to my nvidia shield and back and it fell over again. With eArc disabled I can now enable sky HDMI control and the sky q box does turn on ok now.  I will leave the eArc disabled as it is at least a temporary improvement until the firmware on the sky q box gets fixed. 

Runner
Post 88 of 227

Same issue here with a Sony TV and amp. Was fine until recently then i can’t change inputs without resetting the sky box. Highly irritating.. thanks to everyone that’s posted, hopefully sky will get this sorted.

Boom Operator
Post 89 of 227

engineers attended today, great guys. general consensus was: software issue. They offered a new v2 box, but considered the same problem would occur as soon as it updated.  Their engineer forum had no other reports of this problem. As soon as Im at my desktop Ill be using the link above to lodge an official complaint. The engineers advised they would record this on their forum as well.  This seems to be UHD flicker v2! How long did that take to sort?

Boom Operator
Post 90 of 227

@hackenbacker wrote:

@zAndy12 wrote:

For the time being, I've set my box to use 2160p 8-bit rather than 2160p 10-bit (there isn't much point in 10-bit while they aren't supporting HDR).

My suspicion is that there is a problem with certain picture resolution modes and/or the judder reduction setting.

But as I can't reliably trigger the problem, it's hard to say if something has fixed it or not.

It might be worth you changing these settings and seeing if they make a difference to the behaviour (as I said, 8-bit isn't going to cost you anything on current broadcasts, and you aren't going to miss disabling judder reduction for anything that isn't Netflix)

I have had this problem for ages even before the firmware update to Q80. It only happened once every few days or so before the update but after Q80 it was 3 times every day.

I have the box plugged into a Denon x3400 and that plugged into the ARC hdmi on a LG OLED B7.

Four or 5 days ago I changed from 2160p 10 bit to 2160p 8 bit.

Since doing this I have not had the problem. I also unplugged a android tv box though which also uses CEC so I am unsure whether it was changing to 8 bit or unplugging the Android TV box which has made it better.

I will soon reconnect the Android TV and report back here with my findings.

Recommended Threads
Tracy124 3 minutes ago 03:21 PM
Oracle 4 minutes ago 03:20 PM
7 minutes ago 03:17 PM
8 minutes ago 03:16 PM
11 minutes ago 03:13 PM