I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Editor
Post 16 of 227

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

@Quoman7  Ooh thank you it worked.  Only had skyq  for two years😀   is there a way to turn tv and skyq OFF with one press too please

Oracle
Post 17 of 227

@Sophielegs wrote:

@Quoman7  Ooh thank you it worked.  Only had skyq  for two years😀   is there a way to turn tv and skyq OFF with one press too please

Glad it worked!

Hold power button down on your sky remote until TV turns to standby, then push once to turn sky box to standby

New Viewer
Post 18 of 227

Hi did you find out what the problem was my sky Q mini box does exactly the same.. drives me bonkers 🤔

Oracle
Post 19 of 227

Hi @Lauratwin TVs behave differently so what worked for others may not work for you. If you explain what is happening - what you see and any error message on screen - with the make and model of TV someone will be able to help. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 20 of 227

I find that my Sky Q does not like to have other devices attached the TV other than itself. 

After using things like PS3s, PS4s, Blu Ray players and Steam Link boxes on my TV the Sky Q box does not display a picture or have any sound when it is turned on again. When the box is turned off with its button back to standby the box plays a short bit of sound from whatever channel was last displayed before turning off.

I then have to physically unplug the box to allow it to reboot entirely before it will work again.

When the Sky Q box is the only device connected it functions fine. 

Is the Sky Q box just really sensitive or does it actually have a problem not being the sole device?

Editor
Post 21 of 227

@Straga wrote:

I find that my Sky Q does not like to have other devices attached the TV other than itself. 

After using things like PS3s, PS4s, Blu Ray players and Steam Link boxes on my TV the Sky Q box does not display a picture or have any sound when it is turned on again. When the box is turned off with its button back to standby the box plays a short bit of sound from whatever channel was last displayed before turning off.

I then have to physically unplug the box to allow it to reboot entirely before it will work again.

When the Sky Q box is the only device connected it functions fine. 

Is the Sky Q box just really sensitive or does it actually have a problem not being the sole device?

I think most people have multiple items connected to their TVs as well as Sky Q, how have you hdmi control in settings set? Have you tried different methods of starting up? ie turn on tv first or q box first, I know for myself I press the sky button and tv and q box kicks in, if you can give more info’ I’m sure someone can help 😉

2 TVs Hisense 55” Hdr, Hisense 55” 4k, Sky q 2tb and mini box
Oracle
Post 22 of 227

@Straga the issue sounds like getting the TV onto the correct HDMI input for the Q box. Unfortunately HDMI control is not a complete standard with each manufacturer implementing it slightly differently - often with their own brand name. Turning the Q box on first works with some TVs and the TV first with others.

The Q remote can switch input on some TVs - its the button at the bottom on the left with a symbol of an arrow into a screen - but it only works if your TV does not need a "select" command after the input is chosen. 

Of course using the TV's remote is the easiest solution.

Researcher
Post 23 of 227

I have exactly the same issue, need to rest the sky Q box almost every day, some times it comes on as normal other times it dosnt?

Bathroom man
Oracle
Post 24 of 227

Hi @Mark+harmer almost impossible to know what is going on without more detail like the TV you are using and the output resolution of the Q box but check that HDMI control is on for both the tv and Q box.

Camera Assistant
Post 25 of 227

Over the years I've had several attempts at getting HDMI control and ARC working with AV systems with TVs, amps, disc players, satellite etc not from a single manufacturer. None has ever been reliable. I guess if all components are from a single manufacturer then should be fine or at least you can call their support. By definition with a Sky box included not a single manufacturer. 

I did make a real effort to get Samsung Q7 remote to control AV system, nightmare had to factory reset TV twice, Samsung support terrible never again!

I have three minis that are sole source for TVs, two Sony, one Samsung, no amps soundbars etc. These have HDMI control but always have to use Sky BT remotes long/short press to power control TV and mini separately. Does not matter which order TV or mini is powered on. Samsung picks up correct HDMI input every time, Sonys always power up in UHF/TV mode have to select HDMI input using Sky BT remote. 

My 2TBv2 and fourth mini are in AV systems, these have all HDMI control and ARC off. I use Logitech programmable remote controls to set all power states, input modes etc. Audio from TVs to amps is via optical cables. Once setup these work 100% reliably.

==================================
Sky Q 2TBv2 4xSkyQ Mini
TV Samsung QE65Q7FAMTXXU, Amp Denon AVR-X3400H, Remote Logitech Harmony Elite
Router DrayTek 2860ac, LAN & Wi-Fi Unifi
BT Infinity

For ever complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong.
Researcher
Post 26 of 227

Hello

thanks for the reply 

its a Sony A1 oled and a sky Q 2Tb box, both running 4k

Bathroom man
Oracle
Post 27 of 227

@BookIT up until a couple of years ago I would agree that HDMI control was effectively useless but recently I have noticed a significant improvement so my Q box can switch power and input succesfully on my Denon amp which in turn powers the Panasonic TV. Although I also use a Harmony Remote I notice the TV remote controls the Denon's volume via the ARC. Setting the Q remote to control the TV's volume does the same thing with an on screen confirmation which is useful as my amp cannot generate an overlay when passing through UHD signal - needed the next model up for that.

However although HDMI control can do some tricks nothing beats pressing an icon for BBC1HD ( or any other of the 12 channels set up) on  the Harmony to turn on the Q box, the amp, and the tv ensure the inputs are correct and volume is reset to the standard the Q box is set to ch115 in full screen!

Camera Assistant
Post 28 of 227

@Chrisee my main AV system was installed autumn 2017, I did try HDMI control and Samsung One Connect remote. As many other forums contributors have reported major issues with that setup and Q, all I'd say Samsungs fault. Unlikely I'll ever buy another Samsung TV! 

My Denon supports 10 bit UHD so I get volume level, status etc overlays from Denon. Denon iPad app is good you can see information on streams, speakers etc. Passes the time when wife has Strictly on!

==================================
Sky Q 2TBv2 4xSkyQ Mini
TV Samsung QE65Q7FAMTXXU, Amp Denon AVR-X3400H, Remote Logitech Harmony Elite
Router DrayTek 2860ac, LAN & Wi-Fi Unifi
BT Infinity

For ever complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong.
Oracle
Post 29 of 227

Hi @Mark+harmer some TVs need to have the Q box powered on first so they pick up the info about their output so try that. There is a workround if the TV does not recognise the Q boxes UHD output and black screens which is enter home,1,0,8,0, home on the Q remote which resets the box to 1080i its a lot quicker than rebooting.

Actually with such a good tv I would run the Q box in 1080i unless you are watching UHD material as the TV has a better upscaler. The Q box will prompt you to change if you select a UHD item which takes a few seconds without needing to wade through the menus then use the short cut to go back the 1080i afterwards. Sky should have an auto resolution but that is a reasobablecwork round

Boom Operator
Post 30 of 227

This problem started with us Thursday....
Three month old Sky Q with mini box Diamond VIP ;-)
Samsung 55"
Sky Sound Box
Sky Q 2GB
We was unable to turn on the sky box orange light remained on, turned off box from mains and allowed to reboot could turn box on happy days but then unable to turn off!!

We've also been having the TV report "No source" hmmmm...something not right here....

Phoned Sky and spoke to a lovely helpful lady after the usual explanations and what to try next she said she would ring me back, 20 minutes later received the call back and explained it all again, another question and answers session to which she said think you might need an engineer visit I'll ring you back...... about an hour passed and she phoned back, unfortunately I was not fast enough to answer phone and so not heard any more.

Now Saturday morning wife’s turned on mini box cannot connect here we go again....
Main Sky Q box has orange light on and will not switch on either via remote or button on box, turn off box disconnect from mains for 5 minutes switch back on still orange light and a slowly pulsating blue Q light which also happened before...

Ok so tried the 'fix' I read about elsewhere in this forum no idea what it does maybe a box reset?
So kept finger on the on button on the Sky Q box held it in and waited 10 seconds then disconnect from mains, waited another 10 seconds while keeping that button still held in and reconnected the mains wait for the light to start blinking two colours and released the button, 10 or so minutes later we are able to turn on the box again and watch sky.

Next step phone a friend… low and behold his box has been doing exactly the same.... TV reporting "No Source" and box locking up….

Saturday morning it had stopped recording my F1 qualifying session with 3 seconds to go AARRGGHHH….  so phoned Sky again and they have booked an engineer visit for the 17th of this month, then started to explain about some other dates 12, 13, 14th and another team might give you one of these dates so naturally said the 12th... what a strange system... so we have to wait nearly 2 weeks or it 'could' be less than a week.... but the text that arrived just now confirmed it’s the 17 really that long to wait.... :-(