I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Runner
Post 181 of 227

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

I like a lot of you are annoyed with this as I was hoping to move away from having optical in my setup and using just HDMI. I suppose this does, just more complicated than hoped.

Rather than remembering to enter standby with the Sky Q box everytime, i've setup mine like this (I did read through most of this thread and didn't see this).

Sky Q ---->HDMI---->LG OLEDB8 (Port 1 HDMI)

LG OLEDB8 (Port 2 HDMI (ARC)) ---->HDMI----->SONY STR-DN1080

My Apple TV 4K uses HDMI into the receiver. 

So to start, I hold down the power button on Sky Q remote, it turns everything on (TV & Amp) and goes straight to HDMI1 for Sky, uses Arc for audio and labels TV on the Amp, also get's rid of the annoying HOME thing Sony's receiver does (as long as I turn off from having Sky selected first)

When I want to use Apple TV I press MENU button on my Apple TV remote, this auto swaps to HDMI2 on the TV and Apple TV is waiting.

To go back to Sky, simply press the Sky button on the remote, TV swaps to HDMI1 and the input on the amp is swapped back to ARC (TV).

One caveat I do have to remember, is before turning all the kit off, I have to swap back to the Sky HDMI1 input by pressing Sky. Otherwise when turning back on it loads the amp up with the HOME "thing" and have to wait until it's loaded before pressing Sky on the remote. 

This might make some sense to some, but it's currently a workaround I'm happy with without throwing my equipment out of the window. Afterall, the Sky Q box can't output HD audio and I don't use Atmos. 

Boom Operator
Post 182 of 227

I've found I can reset the sky box by holding the button on the front for a bit. Not quite worked out for how long.

I guess this is better than pulling the plug out of the back!

Is there a way to reboot the box from the remote?

Boom Operator
Post 183 of 227

My Samsung TV a NU8070 has just had a firmware update yesterday and thsi seems so far to have overcome this issue.

I can now switch my TV off and sky off and and then switch them on as normal and my SKY Q is being recognised as normal and playing audio as it should. 

I no longer have to reset the box or any other work around for SKY Q to work as it should.

Firmware version is 1202 for the tv

Hope this continues and is not just a fluke.

Researcher
Post 184 of 227

Have sky actually acknowledged this issue? Do we know when the next planned software update is? 

Researcher
Post 185 of 227

I have exactly the same issue and have spent hours trying to fix it. When I switch to another input  on my av amp and then switch back no sound or picture! When I turn off the amp I get a nano second of sound. AlI equipment goes into amp then HDMI  into TV  for Sky. I had no issue with SKY+ HD.

I pay a lot of money and at least expect it to work. A lot of customers with Sky Q will have an av amp to enjoy better sound and should get better service. It would be unacceptable in most other industries for this not to have been rectified by now. Please fix and let us know when- THANK YOU

Researcher
Post 186 of 227

Same issue here, Sky UHD 2 TB v2 box, Denon AVR and LG OLED B7 TV. This thread is related to the other thread which has 40 pages and has been locked by the Sky moderators. So I know this won't be a solution for everyone but I got so tired of this issue that I connected my Sky box to a home automation plug. Now I can "bounce" the Sky box from my mobile phone if needed and I also do a daily reset at 4am just to be sure the box will power on when told to do so. I hope Sky fixes this but I have zero faith in them. There are multiple threads on this and while I haven't counted them it looks like dozens of customers. And these are the ones that bother to post, there are probably more out there. 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/No-output-from-Sky-Q-box-when-switching-on/td-p/2841585/page/40

Boom Operator
Post 187 of 227

I find myself avoiding the sky box because it will probably need a reset. That means watching Netflix or bbc live through iPlayer on another device etc. It has demonstrated I could probably do without sky at all. 

So so unless it’s fixed very soon then that’s what will happen. 

Researcher
Post 188 of 227

I’m relieved to see other people are suffering with the same issue and that I won’t bother to waste my time with an engineer visit.

I have SkyQ 2TB > Sony AV Receiver > Sony TV.

Ocassionally you switch between inputs, or the dog knocks the input selector on the front of the amp and then we’re screwed, up to the wall to unplug and wait 5 minutes for it all to reboot.

What a complete joke and disgrace for a company that charges an absolute premium.

I will be moving to Virgin the first chance I get.

Runner
Post 189 of 227

Although I hate this problem. Id not resort to moving to Virgin. Made that mistake once thinking their V6 box would be good. Hated it! 

Boom Operator
Post 190 of 227

I am amazed that sky aren’t owning this problem - the single post i’ve seen suggests that they know it is going on but incredibly have been unable to recreate the problem for themselves. 

Researcher
Post 191 of 227

Well it's clear that there are lots of people having the issue. Some have it sometimes, but some can reproduce it every time. I used to be able to reproduce it every time then I did a full system reset on my Sky Box and it started to happen less frequently. I also do a power cut at 4am and I try to shutdown the Sky box first before changing HDMI sources.

But if Sky really wanted to fix the issue all they had to do was to read this thread, identify one of the users who can reproduce the issue all the time and contact them to have an engineer visit them. And by engineer I mean a proper software engineer who can put the Sky box in debug mode and find out what's going, not an installer who has no chance of fixing a software bug!

Sound Supervisor
Post 192 of 227

@HazR19 wrote:

Ocassionally you switch between inputs, or the dog knocks the input selector on the front of the amp and then we’re screwed, up to the wall to unplug and wait 5 minutes for it all to reboot.

What a complete joke and disgrace for a company that charges an absolute premium.

I will be moving to Virgin the first chance I get.

Whilst I find the occassions when the Sky box loses output and needs to be reset (although I save time and disruption by unplugging the HDMI and briefly connecting a PC monitor), I am fortunate that it doesn't happen as often as it does to others. Imo, that's part of the problem here - yes there are people who are seeing it happen a lot, but it isn't necessarily that easily reproducible for Sky.

As for Virgin, I switched from them. I had far more problems with the V6 dropping the hdmi connection (although it usually only needed the input to be switched away and back. And whilst the EPG is potentially more useful with first broadcast dates and ability to distinguish between recording new episodes and re-runs, there is a really big problem with the EPG not being updated when there are any schedule changes.

I would love to see first broadcast dates in the Sky EPG, and to have the 1.5x quick view (with audio) playback. But I wouldn't choose to have Virgin/V6 over Sky Q (assuming channels/pricing are comparable).

Researcher
Post 193 of 227

Mine is reproducible every time. If I leave the q box on, then switch to the PS4, 4K Bly ray player of fire stick etc then when I go back it won’t work.

Particularly annoying when guests are using it, or when the channel/input is changed by accident on the remote or AV Receiever unit.

pretty ridiculous in this day and age.

Do sky even look at the posts in this forum? I’m assuming there are so many that they don’t.

Oracle
Post 194 of 227

@HazR19 wrote:

Mine is reproducible every time. If I leave the q box on, then switch to the PS4, 4K Bly ray player of fire stick etc then when I go back it won’t work.

Particularly annoying when guests are using it, or when the channel/input is changed by accident on the remote or AV Receiever unit.

pretty ridiculous in this day and age.

Do sky even look at the posts in this forum? I’m assuming there are so many that they don’t.

Hi @HazR19 If you put your SKYQ box in standby before you use any other devices then your SKYQ box will  reconnect when you bring it out of standby.

Oracle
Post 195 of 227

@HazR19 Sky staff read every post in this thread and the issue is known but there has no been a firmware release since it appeared so no opportunity to put out a fix. Hopefully the next release should sort in the meantime there is a simple work round of putting the Q box into standby before switching the input back.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.