Reply

I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Reply
Camera Assistant
Posts: 159
Post 136 of 210
804 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Podgerr wrote:

Thanks for posting the video. That is exactly what has been happening to me, even the few seconds of audio after I put the Q into standby. I was blaming my new soundbar from Samsung and was almost returning it for a new one.


What soundbar do you have please? Ta

Boom Operator
Posts: 15
Post 137 of 210
800 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@zAndy12 wrote:

@Jinty+McGinty wrote:

If you have any lip-sync problems, try going to Settings/Setup/Audio visual/Digital audio delay.


As I said no adjustment of the audio delay fixes it it just makes it worse because the audio is behind the video so adding more audio delay doesn't help


I stand corrected.

Boom Operator
Posts: 15
Post 138 of 210
786 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@zAndy12 wrote:

@Jinty+McGinty wrote:

@stefmeister wrote:

@zAndy12 wrote:

Ok so I've just had the engineer round to look at this problem, we tried 

 

a) doing another software update and reset of the box

b) using a different input on the amp

c) turning hdmi control off and on 

d) a brand new V2 box

 

Nothing solved it , the new box did exactly the same as my current box (so he left me with my original box as it's clearly not a hardware issue). He's reported the software fault and made a note of all my kit and said Sky will do tests with the ultimate aim of fixing it in a future software update 

So there , no faulty hard drive , no hardware problem at all but a software problem confirmed by the engineer . Thank you , Sky over to you....


Have you tried connecting Q directly to your TV then routing the sound from your TV back to your amp either by HDMI or Optical? I appreciate completely thats not how you want this to work but it might work for you and for a shortwhile minimise you having to constantly reboot Q until they fix it?


Connect Sky Q to TV with HDMI and Sky Q straight to amp with Optical cable (not via TV).


It's an option but you lose Atmos audio if you do that so it's certainly not a long term solution


Not suggesting it for the long term-would rather lose Atmos than constantly re-booting the box.

Boom Operator
Posts: 15
Post 139 of 210
771 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

I’m still finding that my workaround from last week ( on page 4 ) works best for me. Every piece of my equipment connected as it should be. I just have to remember to put Sky Q box into standby before changing any inputs on my AVR.

Researcher
Posts: 5
Post 140 of 210
737 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@zAndy12 wrote:

@Podgerr wrote:

Thanks for posting the video. That is exactly what has been happening to me, even the few seconds of audio after I put the Q into standby. I was blaming my new soundbar from Samsung and was almost returning it for a new one.


What soundbar do you have please? Ta


Samsung N950

Boom Operator
Posts: 15
Post 141 of 210
683 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@zAndy12 wrote:

@simonjohn1985 wrote:

I am also having this issue and have done for around a year.  I have nothing else connected to my tv other than my Sky Q box which worked completely fine  when I first got it installed back in 2016.  I have tried other devices with the HDMI cable and they all work fine.  It just keeps dropping out and the only way to get it back is to switch the power on and off on at the mains which i didnt mind so much when it was only once a week but it is now happening daily.  After having enough last night i contacted Sky and they are sending out an engineer next week but after reading this thread I feel resigned to there been no solution until a software update is released.  If anyone gets any further updates please let me know.


When you say you're having this issue and have been for a year, are the symptoms exactly the same i.e black screen with no sound but sound for a few seconds when you put the box into standby? I suspect yours is a different issue albeit perhaps with similar symptoms but as I'm convinced the issue myself and several others are having was introduced with the latest software update I'd be very surprised if your symptoms are exactly the same....


I agree- think @simonjohn1985 has a different (deeper) issue with his Sky Q box.

Researcher
Posts: 8
Post 142 of 210
633 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Right, I think I have the answer to a lot of peoples problem having to reboot their sky Q box all the time......

The problem seems to be linked to amplifers or sound bars (dosn't matter which make, mine is SONY 1080)

The problem happens to me when I switch HDMI inputs on my amp to another source like X-BOX or bluray DVD etc, then when I switch back HDMI input on amp to Sky Q I have no piture and have to rebot the system almost every time...

I have found that if you turn off your Sky Q box before switching HDMI inputs on your amp to another source like    X-BOX , Playstaion etc, then once you have finished playing console or watching DVD etc, turn off that device before switching HDMI input back to SKY Q on your amplifer, then turn on SKY Q box, this has worked every time for me.

I know this shouldn't be the case, as my amplifer switches perfectly between all my devices 'EXCEPT' SKY Q.

Apperantly the SKY Q box dosn't like running through third party devices for some reason and loses the signal when the HDMI input is changed then back again. This sounds like a long winded way of doing things but it actually isn't, it only really takes a few seconds and is much quicker than rebooting every time

I hope this is helpful to all that have had this issue, GOOD LUCK. Let me know if it helps

Bathroom man
Researcher
Posts: 8
Post 143 of 210
621 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Hi, Please see my last post, it might help. Good luck

Bathroom man
Camera Assistant
Posts: 159
Post 144 of 210
618 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Mark+harmer wrote:

Right, I think I have the answer to a lot of peoples problem having to reboot their sky Q box all the time......

The problem seems to be linked to amplifers or sound bars (dosn't matter which make, mine is SONY 1080)

The problem happens to me when I switch HDMI inputs on my amp to another source like X-BOX or bluray DVD etc, then when I switch back HDMI input on amp to Sky Q I have no piture and have to rebot the system almost every time...

I have found that if you turn off your Sky Q box before switching HDMI inputs on your amp to another source like    X-BOX , Playstaion etc, then once you have finished playing console or watching DVD etc, turn off that device before switching HDMI input back to SKY Q on your amplifer, then turn on SKY Q box, this has worked every time for me.

I know this shouldn't be the case, as my amplifer switches perfectly between all my devices 'EXCEPT' SKY Q.

Apperantly the SKY Q box dosn't like running through third party devices for some reason and loses the signal when the HDMI input is changed then back again. This sounds like a long winded way of doing things but it actually isn't, it only really takes a few seconds and is much quicker than rebooting every time

I hope this is helpful to all that have had this issue, GOOD LUCK. Let me know if it helps


Yes we know that's a workaround but as you say it shouldn't really be necessary to babysit the sky q box like that but yeah that's what I plan to do until it gets fixed (when I remember to...)

Researcher
Posts: 8
Post 145 of 210
614 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Hi, Please see my latest post, it may help. cheers

Bathroom man
Runner
Posts: 6
Post 146 of 210
595 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Mark+harmer wrote:

Hi, Please see my latest post, it may help. cheers


Doesn't work for me unfortunately. Sky 2tb box > Denon 2500 avr > LG oled 55E7N.

Boom Operator
Posts: 15
Post 147 of 210
565 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Mark+harmer wrote:

Right, I think I have the answer to a lot of peoples problem having to reboot their sky Q box all the time......

The problem seems to be linked to amplifers or sound bars (dosn't matter which make, mine is SONY 1080)

The problem happens to me when I switch HDMI inputs on my amp to another source like X-BOX or bluray DVD etc, then when I switch back HDMI input on amp to Sky Q I have no piture and have to rebot the system almost every time...

I have found that if you turn off your Sky Q box before switching HDMI inputs on your amp to another source like    X-BOX , Playstaion etc, then once you have finished playing console or watching DVD etc, turn off that device before switching HDMI input back to SKY Q on your amplifer, then turn on SKY Q box, this has worked every time for me.

I know this shouldn't be the case, as my amplifer switches perfectly between all my devices 'EXCEPT' SKY Q.

Apperantly the SKY Q box dosn't like running through third party devices for some reason and loses the signal when the HDMI input is changed then back again. This sounds like a long winded way of doing things but it actually isn't, it only really takes a few seconds and is much quicker than rebooting every time

I hope this is helpful to all that have had this issue, GOOD LUCK. Let me know if it helps


Have a look at my post from last week, on page 4 of this thread.

Runner
Posts: 2
Post 148 of 210
470 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Just had a call back from sky regarding the complaint i logged. I was passed through to technical who i directed to this forum page to demonstrate the extent of the problem. They are going to raise it as an issue internally and with any luck it will be fixed in the next software update although understandably, the tech department couldn't promise anything.. 

 

Hopefully if enough of us do the same it'll make the problem visible enough to do something about sooner rather than later.

Boom Operator
Posts: 26
Post 149 of 210
447 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV


@Andrew+Hastings wrote:

Just had a call back from sky regarding the complaint i logged. I was passed through to technical who i directed to this forum page to demonstrate the extent of the problem. They are going to raise it as an issue internally and with any luck it will be fixed in the next software update although understandably, the tech department couldn't promise anything.. 

 

Hopefully if enough of us do the same it'll make the problem visible enough to do something about sooner rather than later.


Thanks for the info. I had an email response from Sky today. I also referenced this forum page however they obviously did not digest any of the information I supplied them. I will have to phone them instead. 

Viewer
Posts: 1
Post 150 of 210
441 Views

Re: I keep having to reset my Sky Q box to be recognised by my TV

Hi. Same problem for me, except it’s happening to the Mini in the bedroom. (The Q Silver box in the main room is fine)

 

Connected to a Sony 65A1 and Denon 4400. It’s only been happening for the last couple of weeks...nothing changed in my setup. Tried changing HDMI, order of startup sequence etc. but no joy.

 

I have to unplug/power cycle the Mini box EVERY time for it to be recognised.

Reply