Discussion topic: I don't have internet access and my sky mini q box isn't working

This message was authored by Jason62 This message was authored by: Jason62

I don't have internet access and my sky mini q box isn't working

I was offered a free sky q mini box as an upgrade to my sky account so I could have sky in 2 separate roomsI told them I don't have internet at home and was told it's fine I didn't need it got the mini q box went to set it up and it say i need to connect to the internet so i now have a second sky box i cant use anyway you can help

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: I don't have internet access and my sky mini q box isn't working

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason62 wrote:

told them I don't have internet at home and was told it's fine I didn't need it

That's essentially incorrect: while a Mini does get its connection directly from the main Q box, the network setup (IP address allocation) is designed in anticipation that an internet router will be at the property running a DHCP server.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Jason62 wrote:

I was offered a free sky q mini box as an upgrade to my sky account so I could have sky in 2 separate roomsI told them I don't have internet at home and was told it's fine I didn't need it got the mini q box went to set it up and it say i need to connect to the internet so i now have a second sky box i cant use anyway you can help

Hi @Jason62 

Features available on your Sky Q Mini box

You won't be able to watch any TV or use any of the services on your Sky Q Mini box and instead will see a full screen error message.

On demand content - A limited selection of Catch Up TV, My Q and Sky Cinema content will be available via the satellite dish. All other on demand content, including Sky Box sets and Sky Store content won't be available. Any downloads in progress will be paused then eventually fail.

Home Screen - Areas within the Home screen won't be available.

Sports - Areas within Sports including Live sport, BT Sport, and On demandwon't be available.

Kids - Areas within the Kids section including TV shows, Sky Cinema and Channels won't be available.

Music - Areas within Music including Featured, Sky Arts and Vevo won't be available.

Apps - Vevo and YouTube apps will be visible within the Online Videos area but won't load when selected.

Search - Limited functionality will only search within the TV guide and Recordings.

My Sky - No access to My Sky area.

AirPlay - You can play music through your TV via the Sky Q box, as long as your Apple device is also connected to the in-home network.

Change PIN - It won't be possible to change the PIN via your Sky Q box; this is only possible if the box is connected to broadband.

Note: all other services will be available without any restrictions applied.

Jason62
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jason62 This message was authored by: Jason62

Thank you superuser for you reply very grateful for the info given  in your rely and will get onto sky to rectify the matter 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jason62 

Make sure they actually cancel the Multiscreen add-on, otherwise you'll keep paying for it.

Loan of the Mini may have been 'free' (as in no up-front fee), but having one on the account isn't.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Jaahammond51712 This message was authored by: Jaahammond51712

Can't get my sky hub working the orange light won't turn to green 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion