Discussion topic: I bought a sky q mini box. I was told by engineer to return it as it couldn't be set up in my garden

This message was authored by Hyndy2 This message was authored by: Hyndy2

I bought a sky q mini box. I was told by engineer to return it as it couldn't be set up in my garden

I bought a sky q mini box to use in garden room. Sky engineer told us to return it as it couldn't be used 

Returned and Sky have not given me my £50 back. This despite several communications with them.

I am now considering referring the theft to the police 

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: I bought a sky q mini box. I was told by engineer to return it as it couldn't be set up in my ga

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hyndy2 wrote:

I am now considering referring the theft to the police 

That would be bizarre as you cannot buy Q boxes.  All boxes belong to Sky.  (Any £50 you paid was a non-returnable admin charge)

Tell us more of the story - why can't it be used?  There may be an argument why the £50 should be refunded.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Hyndy2
Topic Author
This message was authored by Hyndy2 This message was authored by: Hyndy2

Re: I bought a sky q mini box. I was told by engineer to return it as it couIdn't be set up in my ga

I was advised by SKY over the phone that if I wanted SKY in my garden room I would need to purchase a SKY Q mini box. The SKY engineer visited when it would not work. He told me I would need to hardwire it, as both boxes in my house had been hardwired. 

Therefore I was told to return the mini box by the engineer. He told me we would be refunded it in full for it. I returned it in its original box a week after we purchased it.

It's fine if they say we've not to get money. I will contact the police. I will SKY 24 hours to rectify the situation.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: I bought a sky q mini box. I was told by engineer to return it as it couIdn't be set up in my ga

@Hyndy2 wrote:

I was advised by SKY over the phone that if I wanted SKY in my garden room I would need to purchase a SKY Q mini box. The SKY engineer visited when it would not work. He told me I would need to hardwire it, as both boxes in my house had been hardwired. 

Therefore I was told to return the mini box by the engineer. He told me we would be refunded it in full for it. I returned it in its original box a week after we purchased it.

It's fine if they say we've not to get money. I will contact the police. I will SKY 24 hours to rectify the situation.

@Hyndy2 I think I see where the problem might be the engineer doesnt have access to your account. So Sky would not be aware you were sending the box back so it has more than likely just gone to the returns department without a returns label shosing whom it was returning it. 

Afraid you will need to contact Sky as you are only convdersing with other Sky customers on here. 

You can contact Sky by phone by dialling 150 if Sky is your phone provider or by following the link below
https://www.sky.com/help/home
scroll down to need more help click on this and you will find a phone number. If you are in ROI please change the flag at the bottom right to the ROI flag

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Hyndy2 wrote:

I will contact the police. I will SKY 24 hours to rectify the situation.

I'm not sure what you expect the Police to do - they won't investigate this.  (As no criminal offence appears to have been committed)

As above, you need to continue pursuing directly with Sky - raising a complaint if necessary.

If you want to recover your £50 if you do not get anywhere then you would need to instigate civil proceedings subject to any alleged breach of contract.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Hyndy2 wrote:

I was advised by SKY over the phone that if I wanted SKY in my garden room I would need to purchase a SKY Q mini box.

Perhaps a poor choice of words by the agent, but as stated you can't purchase a mini box.

The SKY engineer visited when it would not work. He told me I would need to hardwire it, as both boxes in my house had been hardwired. 

Therefore I was told to return the mini box by the engineer. He told me we would be refunded it in full for it. I returned it in its original box a week after we purchased it.

Again incorrect im afraid. Perhaps re-read the T's and C's of your agreement.

It's fine if they say we've not to get money. I will contact the Police. I will SKY 24 hours to rectify the situation.

They will correctly advise you it's not a Police matter and most certainly won't record a crime. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: I bought a sky q mini box. I was told by engineer to return it as it couldn't be set up in my ga

@Hyndy2 

Contacting the police would be entirely futile and a waste of their time.

If Sky was incorrect in their technical advice before you paid a fee for a loan of a Mini box then that's the basis of your claim for a refund, and should be pursued as a formal written complaint.

You could also reasonably claim that the advice from the engineer was also somewhat dubious, and should never have indicated that a refund would be automatic.  In addition, it's unwise to return anything to Sky which they haven't requested back.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion