Discussion topic: High pitched sound when changing between Sky HD channels

This message was authored by Godders9 This message was authored by: Godders9

High pitched sound when changing between Sky HD channels

Hi all, 

When I changed channels on my Sky Q box I get a high pitched beep that lasts for 1-2 seconds and it’s very irritating. It doesn’t happen on every channel change but only seems to happen when switching between some HD channels (never on non-HD channels).

I have a Sonos Playbar and a Panasonic TX65EZ952B TV.

I cannot remember changing anything, this just seemed to start happening.

Best Answers
This message was authored by AnytimePlus+On+VM This message was authored by: AnytimePlus+On+VM Answer

Re: High pitched sound when changing between Sky HD channels

There are issues with some Panasonic TVs (inc. ours).

See a no. other posts. Eg. https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Bleeping-when-changing-channels-on-Q-box/m-p/3362211#M327683

Is your soundbar always in use? Is it fed from the TV? 

Setting the output to 'normal' probably defeats using a soundbar. It'd prove whether it's this same issue though. 

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by AnytimePlus+On+VM This message was authored by: AnytimePlus+On+VM Answer

There are issues with some Panasonic TVs (inc. ours).

See a no. other posts. Eg. https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Bleeping-when-changing-channels-on-Q-box/m-p/3362211#M327683

Is your soundbar always in use? Is it fed from the TV? 

Setting the output to 'normal' probably defeats using a soundbar. It'd prove whether it's this same issue though. 

Godders9
Topic Author

That has solved it, yes (thank you). I'm not sure what I'm losing by changing from the Dolby setting to Normal though?

This message was authored by AnytimePlus+On+VM This message was authored by: AnytimePlus+On+VM

@Godders9 

It depends.  Setting to 'normal' is stero, so you lose surround sound.

I don't know your exact set-up, but if you have the soundbar for surround sound, this might not be the solution.

The issue is that in 'dobly digital' mode, when changing channels (and some other operations), the Sky box sends no audio at al (rather than muted audio).  Panasonic TVs don't like this and you get the high pitched beep.

We'd need to know more about your except setup?  What's plugged into what?  When you do/don't use the soundbar etc.

Godders9
Topic Author

Yeah, that makes sense.

My Sky Q box is connected to my Panasonic TV via HDMI, then my Soundbar is connected to the TV via optical cable. I've also got two Sonos Play 1s for surround sound.

This message was authored by Ajaja This message was authored by: Ajaja

Same problem here using Sky Q connect via HDMI to my tv and Arc from Sonis Arc  to my Panasonic OLED Ez950

This high pitch Sound is coming out from the Soundbar but also from the tv speaker. If Sky Q set to normal the problem goes away but if set to DDS it's back??!!!

What is the point of purchasing a soundbar that can deliver Atmos and DD if Sky cannot get this format to be compatible with different tv brands!!! Frustrating 

Ajajaj
This message was authored by Tonymarcus This message was authored by: Tonymarcus

Hi All,

Sky Q V3 box

TV - Panasonic 55EZ952B OLED HDR 4K

Surround Sound 5.1 - Panasonic Bluray SC-BTT405EBK

I've got the same problem, I used to have my Sky Q box connected directly to 5.1 amp via optical cable but due to the numerous sound drops out and HDR drop out on the new V3 box (many posts about these problems) I decided to connect it diffently so I could at least watch Netflix in surround sound with out the drop outs but this beep is worse that the sound drop outs.

If I turn off my amp and the sound comes out of the TV speakers the beep is still there when changing from a non dolby channel to a dolby channel.

Any suggestion before I bin the lot and go back to the simple days of 5 terestial channels!

This message was authored by Arnall This message was authored by: Arnall

@Godders9 Had the same problem. If you go into the Panasonic sound settings and switch HDMI Audio Format to Auto it will hopefully sort it. Worked for me anyhow. Have a Sonos Playbar and two Play 1 surround setup. On the Sky Q box, Digital Audio Output HDMI is set to Dolby Digital Plus.

This message was authored by Ihatedisplayname5 This message was authored by: Ihatedisplayname5

this used to be much worse but now I only get it when switching to HD (loud beep) or UHD (quieter beep). I am going to look for the hdmi auto audio setting see if that makes a difference.

My HDMI setup is,
Sky Q to TV (Panasonic TX-55EZ952b) over HDMI, then from tv over arc HDMI to my amp (Panasonic SC-BTT505EBS)
My network setup is
Sky hub to Sky Q and mini is wireless, Sky Hub to tv is ethernet, amp is disconnected (which helped with some of the beeping)
This message was authored by Ajaja This message was authored by: Ajaja

This ussue was bad wit my previous Panasonic but since changing my TV to another Panasonic HZ1000 the problem is gone completely.  I think this was an obvious compatibility problem between Panasonic sound card and Sky! Sorry guys not much to add here a part from a digèrent Tv 

Ajajaj
This message was authored by JayBiz This message was authored by: JayBiz

I have the same issue with a Samsung F8000 tv and my Sonos Beam, tv HDMI ARC to the Sonos. The tv is 8 years old but still good so don't want the expense of replacing it yet!  

I narrowed it down a bit further. It seems that if the TV is turned on first, then the Sky Q box, it is fine. No pulsing noise when changing channel. If the sky q box is on first, then the tv the noise happens. With HDMI control on on the sky q, pressing the power button on the sky q remote must be starting the sky box first, then the tv so the noise is there. If I do it manually tv first it works fine!

My Sky HD box with the Beam and the Samsung was fine, though that was over optical from tv to Sonos. 

my guess is something to do with the HDMI handshake is causing it. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion