*Have* to have multiroom with Sky Q?

Executive Producer
Post 16 of 45

Re: *Have* to have multiroom with Sky Q?

@Roger+Peters wrote:

@skinner1965 wrote:

Sky in SD really is rubbish and is like watching 1970’s tele 

Not even that good if you’ve got a TV 40” or above. 

Remember when colour first launched in the 60’s and if watching a football match when a player wearing a red shirt was running, the red of his shirt left his body and appeared as a blob just behind him. And we thought then how amazing it all was! How times have changed. 

Ummm no not that old 😜

I do remember getting our first colour tele though.  Parents bought it for the wedding of Princess Anne to umm Captain Mark Phillips I think it was 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Sound Supervisor
Post 17 of 45

@skinner1965 wrote:

@Roger+Peters wrote:

@skinner1965 wrote:

Remember when colour first launched in the 60’s and if watching a football match when a player wearing a red shirt was running, the red of his shirt left his body and appeared as a blob just behind him. And we thought then how amazing it all was! How times have changed. 

Ummm no not that old 😜

I do remember getting our first colour tele though.  Parents bought it for the wedding of Princess Anne to umm Captain Mark Phillips I think it was 

And she's still got the same hair do Smiley Happy

First Assistant Director
Post 18 of 45

@skinner1965 wrote:

@Roger+Peters wrote:

@skinner1965 wrote:

Ummm no not that old 😜

I remember when my parents got their first colour TV in 1974. My dad had been working out in Saudi for 9 months and decided to splash out. IIRC it was one of these. Link

Post 19 of 45

You don't have to have multiroom but i think it works out at £199 for the box alone if you are already an exisitng customer 

New Viewer
Post 20 of 45

We paid £20 for 2tb sky box and got 1 mimi box free, we have every channel except sports channels and only pay £57........bargains 👍👍👍, picture is amazing in UHD

Oracle
Post 21 of 45

@Rob444444444 wrote:

We paid £20 for 2tb sky box and got 1 mimi box free, we have every channel except sports channels and only pay £57........bargains 👍👍👍, picture is amazing in UHD

That's now the offer available to all Sky+ HD subscribers of more than 10 years, via the VIP scheme.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Researcher
Post 22 of 45

I have a slight condition called age so bear with me on this. I have Sky+ HD, and have a very good deal with them. I am on a deal that has 60% off all chanels for 18 months. Box sets, Sports complete pack, Sky Cinema,  HD all at £33 month. I have BT unlimited infinity fibre broadband and calls,  BT TV with sport.

Ever since having BT TV in the lounge alongside the Sky box it was fine as it was hard wire via router direct.

I wanted to view my BT Sport in the 'Man Cave' conversion so moved BT box in there. Approx 10 - 12 metres from router.

When BT sport works, it's great. Without going through all the calls and problems with BT I just get by with home plugs. Most of the time they work fine.

Now the point:- I have just signed up for Sky Q (Install 14/.12/18) having been given a deal with a mini box all for free. Free install, no box charge etc. Obviously £12 month for multi room. I have realised that my mini box will have the same issues of the BT box and I may have to use the home plugs or does it have a superior wifi connection. My aim is to cancel BT TV April and then transfer my BT sport (free to subscribing broadband customers) over to Sky on my mini box.  If I can't do this, I am having a mini box I don't need. My point is, If I phone Sky to cancel the mini box, will they then consider charging  me for not having multi room. Anyone else had the same issue.

TV in lounge:- Samsung UE55ES6800. In Mancave:- Oldie LE40R73BD

Executive Producer
Post 23 of 45

@Suffolktel wrote:

I have a slight condition called age so bear with me on this. I have Sky+ HD, and have a very good deal with them. I am on a deal that has 60% off all chanels for 18 months. Box sets, Sports complete pack, Sky Cinema,  HD all at £33 month. I have BT unlimited infinity fibre broadband and calls,  BT TV with sport.

Ever since having BT TV in the lounge alongside the Sky box it was fine as it was hard wire via router direct.

I wanted to view my BT Sport in the 'Man Cave' conversion so moved BT box in there. Approx 10 - 12 metres from router.

When BT sport works, it's great. Without going through all the calls and problems with BT I just get by with home plugs. Most of the time they work fine.

Now the point:- I have just signed up for Sky Q (Install 14/.12/18) having been given a deal with a mini box all for free. Free install, no box charge etc. Obviously £12 month for multi room. I have realised that my mini box will have the same issues of the BT box and I may have to use the home plugs or does it have a superior wifi connection. My aim is to cancel BT TV April and then transfer my BT sport (free to subscribing broadband customers) over to Sky on my mini box.  If I can't do this, I am having a mini box I don't need. My point is, If I phone Sky to cancel the mini box, will they then consider charging  me for not having multi room. Anyone else had the same issue.

I am afraid I have no idea about charges as you will need to contact Sky.

However I do know that you can get BT sport on mini boxes BUT BT charge extra for using it on mini boxes.

Sky keep changing the title of packs, multi room/screen no longer exists I believe it is now "experience", someone will correct me if I am wrong. Although you need this for using mini boxes you also need this if you want UHD on your main box, probably why they changed the name as multi room etc was also needed for this.

I have found the "mesh" Sky's link between boxes quite good but Sky will fit a booster (free) if needed or you can continue with home plug etc.

Editor
Post 24 of 45

@Suffolktel wrote:

As @bob1234 says bt sport to your mini will be chargeable, so although free to main box it will be £6 for mini 😕

forgot to add with or without mini box if you want UHD then you still have to pay the £12

so if you want UHD you may as well keep mini as it won’t cost anymore

2 TVs Hisense 55” Hdr, Hisense 55” 4k, Sky q 2tb and mini box
Director of Photography
Post 25 of 45

@skinner1965 wrote:

You’d be better off cancelling multiscreen and taking up HD

SD on Sky can be awful. If you really do want SD, trash your LCD TV and go find an old tube TV.
Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Researcher
Post 26 of 45

Hi JonW42,

I think the BT Sport issue has been resolved so I thank you all for that. It seemed to move on to the UHD subject. I have HD but wonderd if my televsion has to be UHD friendly to accept the signal. I have looked at the maual and from what Sky says, you need:- An Ultra HD TV that can display a picture resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 50 frames per second and has an input that supports HDCP 2.2. The input marked MHL. For the most popular TV brands, these inputs should work.

In my case I have a Samsung UE55ES6800. I have looked at my manual and found that I cannot seem to find I have HDCP 2.2 or inout marked MHL. Am I being concerned for no reason and going too deep into this or are there converters for the HDMI inputs to resolve this.

Director of Photography
Post 27 of 45

@Suffolktel wrote:

Hi JonW42,

I think the BT Sport issue has been resolved so I thank you all for that. It seemed to move on to the UHD subject. I have HD but wonderd if my televsion has to be UHD friendly to accept the signal. I have looked at the maual and from what Sky says, you need:- An Ultra HD TV that can display a picture resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 50 frames per second and has an input that supports HDCP 2.2. The input marked MHL. For the most popular TV brands, these inputs should work.

In my case I have a Samsung UE55ES6800. I have looked at my manual and found that I cannot seem to find I have HDCP 2.2 or inout marked MHL. Am I being concerned for no reason and going too deep into this or are there converters for the HDMI inputs to resolve this.

You do no need a new TV to get HD. The TV you have is an HD TV. It is not a UHD TV. So you cannot view UHD. You would need to buy a new TV if you want UHD.

Researcher
Post 28 of 45

So, before I cancel this SkyQ install on 14th December, the SkyQ box doesn't upscale my HD TV to UHD. Is that correct.

Director of Photography
Post 29 of 45

@Suffolktel wrote:

So, before I cancel this SkyQ install on 14th December, the SkyQ box doesn't upscale my HD TV to UHD. Is that correct.

Hi @Suffolktel You need a UHD TV if you want to watch UHD programmes, if you just want to watch HD then a HD tv will work perfectly well with the SDKY Q box

Director of Photography
Post 30 of 45

@Suffolktel wrote:

If you've not taken advanatage of the Black Friday deal, I suggest you call Sky and do so. You'll get a free UHD TV and you can also get a mini box to use with your existing TV. The first mini box will be free to istall.