*Have* to have multiroom with Sky Q?

Researcher
Post 1 of 45

*Have* to have multiroom with Sky Q?

I'm really confused.  I arranged to switch from Sky (broadband and TV) to Virgin.  Sky rang me with the old razzle dazzle, and while I opted to switch to Virgin for broadband (their fibre optic is waaay better than the patchy cover we got from Sky in our area) I decided to keep Sky for TV (Game of Thrones!)  We managed to get our mix'n'match offer down to what a combined offer would be with either provider, which I was very happy with.  I also got an upgrade to a Sky Q box (not inc. a one off 65 qquid enginner's fee).  The lady who rang me said they'd call back after our broadband was switched over, as they couldn't book in an engineer's visit for the Q until our 'new' broadband was up and running.  I had a missed call from Sky a few days ago that I guess was about this, and I called them back today.  It took a while to get the guy to understand what my deal was - he kept trying to arrange for my broadband to switch back to Sky! - although he was very nice, there was a bit of a language barrier.  He then told me I could only have Sky Q with a multiroom function, and that this would be an extra 12 pounds a month (discounted to 10).  He was surprised the original lady hand't told me this, and was adamant you couldn't have Sky Q without the multiroom function.  I've gone ahead and booked the engineer's visit for next week, but I'm hacked off about this.  I don't want multiroom as we only have one TV!  So I see this as a stealth charge, and it brings my monthly total above what I want to pay.  I'm super annoyed this was never mentioned to me when my new deal was agreed to when the first lady called me.  I'm tempeted to pull out of the whole arrangement and just go to Virgin, as this will save me 10 pounds a month for a similar quality of service (just no Atlantic),.  Is he right?

All Replies
First Assistant Director
Post 2 of 45

Re: *Have* to have multiroom with Sky Q?

You can have Sky Q without multiscreen subscription but you won't be able to watch UHD which is also covered by cost.

Call them back and say you would like the multiscreen removed but note though this will probably increase the upfront cost.

Executive Producer
Post 3 of 45

You can have Q without multiscreen (it is no longer called multiroom) BUT without it you cannot use any mini boxes or get UHD downloads (assuming a 2TB box which is the only one that can get UHD)

Researcher
Post 4 of 45

Thanks both - I don't have the HD package anyway, so all of the mutliscreen functionality is wasted on me!  I will ring them back and see if I can get it sorted.  

Director of Photography
Post 5 of 45

What I don't get is how you can watch Game of Thrones in SD. I highly recommend that you get HD even if just for Game of Thrones.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Oracle
Post 6 of 45

@Pouxin

Unfortunately, opting not to get MultiScreen, which is a perfectly legitimate choice if you don't want UHD or Q app use, will probably result in the up-front cost going up, as @GordonTGopher mentioned.  Sky use the extra ongoing revenue they get from the MultiScreen subscription to subsidise the initial installation fee.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Executive Producer
Post 7 of 45

You’d be better off cancelling multiscreen and taking up HD

Sky in SD really is rubbish and is like watching 1970’s tele 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Executive Producer
Post 8 of 45

Just a thought, is your TV quite old if so does it have an HDMI socket.

Director of Photography
Post 9 of 45

@bob1234 wrote:

Just a thought, is your TV quite old if so does it have an HDMI socket.

If it is that old, I highly seuugest getting a new TV. You'll love it. I've seen an old tube TV about 3 years ago and it was awful. It flicckered and would have caused a headache.

Managing Editor
Post 10 of 45

@skinner1965 wrote:

Sky in SD really is rubbish and is like watching 1970’s tele 

Not even that good if you’ve got a TV 40” or above. 

Remember when colour first launched in the 60’s and if watching a football match when a player wearing a red shirt was running, the red of his shirt left his body and appeared as a blob just behind him. And we thought then how amazing it all was! How times have changed. 

Researcher
Post 11 of 45

Ha, yes, not that much of a luddite (although close!) - have a nice HD Sony Bravia 40 inch.  We can watch 'live' HD on Sky, and record HD on some channels (BBC etc.) just not some of the other Sky channels.  May well upgrade to HD - which is a lot cheaper than multiscreen, I think!

Researcher
Post 12 of 45

Hmmm.  Yeah, I saw that when I oirginally googled my problem.  But the original sales lady did NOT mention this at all - she quoted 65 pounds and then the package cost we'd already agreed (not £199 or whatever mad cost it is without multiscreen).  I will ring them ready to start ranting...

Researcher
Post 13 of 45

All sorted.  No mutliscreen, still only £65 installation, but I have - on y'all's advice - paid the £5 extra to upgrade to HD (still cheaper than the £10 for multiscreen!)

Sound Supervisor
Post 14 of 45

@Pouxin A fiver well spent IMO, even if it is every month Smiley Happy

Director of Photography
Post 15 of 45

@Pistonhead wrote:

@Pouxin A fiver well spent IMO, even if it is every month Smiley Happy

I agree fully.