Discussion topic: Has ANYBODY been able to configure Sky Q with Fire Cube Gen 3

This message was authored by Ula+Dog This message was authored by: Ula+Dog

Has ANYBODY been able to configure Sky Q with Fire Cube Gen 3

Hello;

Having looked at ALL of the web, I have not been able to find anyone who is able to say they have a working configuration of Sky Q being controlled by voice on Amazon Fire Cube TV Gen 3. (But loads having issues!)

Spent 3+ hours today setting up and testing all 'supported' configurations but NONE have worked. Have spent 45 mins with Amazon support (repeating all my diagnostics again!) and they have said - Sky Q is suppported on their box so I needed to contact Sky support as it MUST be their issue.

I can get it to work once "Alexa, watch BBC One on Satellite", but then the Fire Cube stops responding!

If anyone else has got it working I will swap the box as possible faulty hardware, if not then will just send it back.

Sky Q -> Fire Cube Gen 3 -> LG TV

All Replies

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Re: Has ANYBODY been able to configure Sky Q with Fire Cube Gen 3

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ula+DogI had it working with a Cube 1st version but it was very crude, I had to give separate instructions, Alexa "Satelite on", Channel 101" etc and could not get it to work by channel name. (not as good as Q's built in voice control, but hands free) In the end I used to to control a harmony hub and then the Q box, needed a lot of setting up.

The only thing I can think of is have you got HDMI control (CEC) in your TV and Q box turned on, it needs it.

I can't do any further testing as I have changed to "stream". Have you tried the Amazon forum as there are a number of solutions there.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ula+Dog wrote:

they have said - Sky Q is suppported on their box 

I'd imagine it's quite possible that's not entirely true....

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by markiv This message was authored by: markiv

I have a cube gen 2 in the bedroom with a sky a mini box, and it works perfectly. I can select channels by number or name, play, pause, rew and ff, and turn the sky box on and off. It's all been working for over two years with no problems. 

Ula+Dog
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ula+Dog This message was authored by: Ula+Dog

Thanks... Tried with a Mini and Cube 3, same issue... I suspect it is Cube 3 issue as that has been the only consistent failing point when I have been replicating all the other scenarios that use Gen 1 or 2. 😞

This message was authored by markiv This message was authored by: markiv

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I haven't uses the ir emitter cable, the two boxes just sit next to each other, so the cube must have its own built in emitter somewhere. If you still get no joy, there's a gen 2 going on eBay at the moment for£42.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion