Post 31 of 71

Re: HDR Update 2019?!

Any insider news?

Oracle
Post 32 of 71

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Any insider news?

Nothing to report as Sky do not pre-announce dates even internally. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Oracle
Post 33 of 71

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Any insider news?

All we can do is wait for the public announcement: traditionally these would come with the quarterly trading results.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Producer
Post 34 of 71

@Chrisee wrote:

@atann Sky trialled HDR in a small market in Italy perhaps they found out issues that need resolving? Some people rather naively assume you just have to through a switch and voila it all works. Instead it is a tad more complex to equip, test and sign off a broadcast system when not everything works as you want first time and you can get unexpected glitches whatever the armchair experts might think.

They aren't holding it up to spite you. 

So what is BBC doing that Sky cannot do? BBC is able to broadcast UHD/HLG for both live and recorded programs. I don't see what the issue is with Sky. If Sky is having a problem with live programs and HLG, then just use HLG for the recorded programs like Sky Cinema and other UHD programs. That would work now.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
First Assistant Director
Post 35 of 71

Thee BBC have only ever done streaming HDR/HLG to viewers via iPlayer - and have still not got 5.1 sound working on iPlayer.

@JonW42 wrote:

@Chrisee wrote:

@atann Sky trialled HDR in a small market in Italy perhaps they found out issues that need resolving? Some people rather naively assume you just have to through a switch and voila it all works. Instead it is a tad more complex to equip, test and sign off a broadcast system when not everything works as you want first time and you can get unexpected glitches whatever the armchair experts might think.

So what is BBC doing that Sky cannot do? BBC is able to broadcast UHD/HLG for both live and recorded programs. I don't see what the issue is with Sky. If Sky is having a problem with live programs and HLG, then just use HLG for the recorded programs like Sky Cinema and other UHD programs. That would work now.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 with UHD + two minis) using VirginMedia Vivid 350 (350/20mb).

First Assistant Director
Post 36 of 71

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Any insider news?

All we can do is wait for the public announcement: traditionally these would come with the quarterly trading results.

Which should be in the next 2-3 weeks for the "6 months to 31st December 2018" results.

It would be nice if HLG was rolled out before the start of the F1 season.

Post 37 of 71

@simon194 wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Any insider news?

Which should be in the next 2-3 weeks for the "6 months to 31st December 2018" results.

Although there may not be quarterly trading announcements now they're not a publicly listed company any more (they might be part of Comcast's results though)

Producer
Post 38 of 71

@ozsat wrote:

Thee BBC have only ever done streaming HDR/HLG to viewers via iPlayer - and have still not got 5.1 sound working on iPlayer.

@JonW42 wrote:

@Chrisee wrote:

This is not about 5.1 sound. This is about HDR (aka HLG). To be honest, I'd rather (right now) stereo sound and UHD/HLG then 5.1 sound and UHD/SDR.

Camera Operator
Post 39 of 71

Do we know how HLG is going in Italy?  They've had it for live sport and downloads since March.  I'm envious that they had the likes of Britannia in UHD, HLG and Dolby Atmos.

First Assistant Director
Post 40 of 71

I don't see the point of keep upgrading the video system and leave the audio in the dark ages.

We've had 5.1 audio for years - HLG is relatively new.

I'd rather see 5.1 and UHD - then HLG with 2.0.

The BBC iPlayer works fine for HLG video - it is down to Sky to get it working on their boxes.

The BBC should spend their time on decent sound now.

My point is the BBC have only been streaming - Sky is a broadcast service.

@JonW42 wrote:

This is not about 5.1 sound. This is about HDR (aka HLG). To be honest, I'd rather (right now) stereo sound and UHD/HLG then 5.1 sound and UHD/SDR.

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 with UHD + two minis) using VirginMedia Vivid 350 (350/20mb).

Producer
Post 41 of 71

@ozsat wrote:

I don't see the point of keep upgrading the video system and leave the audio in the dark ages.

The BBC iPlayer works fine for HLG video - it is down to Sky to get it working on their boxes.

@JonW42 wrote:

More people have a UHD TV then have both a UHD TV and a surround sound system. So getting UHD with HDR should be more of a priority then getting surround sound going as HDR will be better for more people then surround sound will be.
Oracle
Post 42 of 71

@JonW42 wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

More people have a UHD TV then have both a UHD TV and a surround sound system. So getting UHD with HDR should be more of a priority then getting surround sound going as HDR will be better for more people then surround sound will be.

Sky already support 5.1 and Atmos with UHD, so need to make sure that their HDR support doesn't break those. There's also the basic fact that the Atmos/ 5.1 technical specifications have been in existence for several years longer than HLG, so it's not unreasonable to expect they should be supported first. 

as @ozsat says, the BBC have managed to deliver UHD with HLG, so now need to focus on improving the audio support.

First Assistant Director
Post 43 of 71

@rscott wrote:

@simon194 wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Any insider news?

Although there may not be quarterly trading announcements now they're not a publicly listed company any more (they might be part of Comcast's results though)

I'd forgotten about that.

Post 44 of 71

I think more people want DD5.1 sound from iPlayer currently - then HLG.

What's the point of a super picture with naff sound???

We already have HLG here from BBC - just naff audio.

You have to choose between  HLG and 2.0 audio - or plain HD picture with DD5.1 audio.

Doesn't make sense.

@JonW42 wrote:

Boom Operator
Post 45 of 71

Sky struggle to give decent bandwidth to their current live UHD broadcasts - they will need to double that for HLG.

BT's UHD channel really shows up the Sky Sports UHD pictures - but they use almost double the bandwidth.

@JonW42 wrote:

@Chrisee wrote: