Reply

HDR Update 2019?!

Reply
Researcher
Posts: 7
Post 16 of 66
1,697 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!

Completely aware that the BBC was a trial. That is my point, why do Sky not do the same. If HDR works for you leave it on,if it doesn't turn it off. Sky could get the feedback it needs that the BBC has already learnt from and put into the public domain. Hopefully it would speed up development so that everyone could leave HLG on. Sky is supposed to be a  premium service & we should expect premium innovation. 

Oracle
Posts: 3,968
Post 17 of 66
1,690 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@Mark+Lawrence+72 wrote:

Completely aware that the BBC was a trial. That is my point, why do Sky not do the same. If HDR works for you leave it on,if it doesn't turn it off. Sky could get the feedback it needs that the BBC has already learnt from and put into the public domain. Hopefully it would speed up development so that everyone could leave HLG on. Sky is supposed to be a  premium service & we should expect premium innovation. 


@Mark+Lawrence+72Why would Sky need to do this. Sky Italia has HDR so this could be classed as being on trial. If they are having problems in Italy then until these are resolved I personally cant see any other country getting HDR. There may be no problems with HDR in Italy and Sky have just decided on the timelines of when to release the updates no one but Sky knows this

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer

imagebam.com

imagebam.com

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, Sky Q Hub, all connected by wifi
Sky Boxset, multiscreen/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited, LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV
Anonymous
Not applicable
Posts: 0
Post 18 of 66
1,690 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@Mark+Lawrence+72 wrote:

Completely aware that the BBC was a trial. That is my point, why do Sky not do the same. If HDR works for you leave it on,if it doesn't turn it off. Sky could get the feedback it needs that the BBC has already learnt from and put into the public domain. Hopefully it would speed up development so that everyone could leave HLG on. Sky is supposed to be a  premium service & we should expect premium innovation. 


@Mark+Lawrence+72   Sky are doing the same.  They have chosen however to do so in Italy and not UK.  I think your idea of it being individually turned on/off per customer is naive to be frank.   It's coming in Sky's own time.  Whingeing about the process won't speed it up nor change the schedule.  We will have to be patient and hope the glitches being reportedly experienced in Italy will be sorted prior to release here so we can all enjoy without issue.   The vitriol already being shown because it isn't released here yet will I suspect multiply by an order of magnitude should it be released in a glitchy buggy condition.

Sound Designer
Posts: 104
Post 19 of 66
1,659 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@thumbs83 wrote:

It would be interesting to know why it's not been possible to intorduce movies in HDR to download now or before now.  I can understand the delay in live broadcast HDR.

 

At the end of the day we get HDR via Sky Q when we get it but I thought we would've had movies in HDR to download by now.


Having read the responses, there is a valid argument about overair & possible issues. But as quoted, I cannot see why downloads through Sky Cinema should be an issue?

Sound Designer
Posts: 104
Post 20 of 66
1,659 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@Mark+Lawrence+72 wrote:

Why can we not have HLG rolled out as Sky Italia with the option to turn it on ( with a disclaimer)? If viewers are unhappy with these issues they can turn it off or not turn it on.. Sky seem to be spending more time working on features such as Sky without a dish . This does not seem to have slipped to 2019. Which is about attracting more new customers rather than improving the quality for existing dish users. I personally think we have waited too long for a premium service that the BBC seem to be providing for no cost and every online streamer is providing now! Time to be looking to online for my content me thinks.


Another very good point 

Sound Designer
Posts: 104
Post 21 of 66
1,652 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!

Exactly. I resent having to pay them & Sky. There should be an option to block BBC channels on our boxes, with an option to opt out of the licence if you do this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Posts: 0
Post 22 of 66
1,646 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@atann wrote:

Exactly. I resent having to pay them & Sky. There should be an option to block BBC channels on our boxes, with an option to opt out of the licence if you do this. 


And in the real world..................................................

Executive Producer
Posts: 5,226
Post 23 of 66
1,634 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@atann wrote:

Exactly. I resent having to pay them & Sky. There should be an option to block BBC channels on our boxes, with an option to opt out of the licence if you do this. 


If you could all you would have is no BBC channels and still need a licence. You need a TV licence to receive any live transmission on any device from any source.

 

Oracle
Posts: 1,982
Post 24 of 66
1,601 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@bob1234 wrote:

@atann wrote:

Exactly. I resent having to pay them & Sky. There should be an option to block BBC channels on our boxes, with an option to opt out of the licence if you do this. 


If you could all you would have is no BBC channels and still need a licence. You need a TV licence to receive any live transmission on any device from any source.

 


Hi Smiley Happy You don't need a licence for your car radio Smiley Wink

Executive Producer
Posts: 5,226
Post 25 of 66
1,591 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@Quoman7 wrote:

@bob1234 wrote:

@atann wrote:

Exactly. I resent having to pay them & Sky. There should be an option to block BBC channels on our boxes, with an option to opt out of the licence if you do this. 


If you could all you would have is no BBC channels and still need a licence. You need a TV licence to receive any live transmission on any device from any source.

 


Hi Smiley Happy You don't need a licence for your car radio Smiley Wink


Correct, you used to have a separate licence for car radios, I think it was discontinued as no one ever bought one.

First Assistant Director
Posts: 2,317
Post 26 of 66
1,549 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@thumbs83 wrote:

It's a shame Sky couldn't offer 2 seperate downloads for movies.  One for UHD HDR and one for UHD SDR.  Only making HDR avaialable to download if your TV supports HDR.  Until they sort out HLG HDR.

 

Sounds really easy in my head.  I know in reality it's probably not.


The box will still need to be updated to pass the HDR metadata plus there's no point wasting resources developing for HDR10 and HLG HDR when Sky don't accept HDR10 UHD content for broadcast.

_____________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 + 2x Mini, LG 55UH850V, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242,
Yamaha RX-A2040 (7.1.2)
Executive Producer
Posts: 5,226
Post 27 of 66
1,539 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!

As I don't understand anything about the technical aspects of HDR in my TV's specification it says (HDR10, HLG) but I have no idea if this will be compatible with which ever system Sky will use.

Sound Designer
Posts: 104
Post 28 of 66
1,502 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!

Sky will use HLG, as their using that in Italy. 

Researcher
Posts: 4
Post 29 of 66
1,502 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!

I think a big reason Italy got HDR was because they had only just launched there version of the Q silver box. It made little sense to set the back end up for SDR to then alter it all within a relativly short timeline for HDR.

 

More importantly though this tells us that outside broadcast studios are currently using HLG within there workflow, including whoever Sky  use for there epl coverage. The standard has been set in stone since the back end of 2016. Sky Italia,HD+,NPO,NOS and Fransat are all offering HLG/HDR content via sat. With the BBC and Virgin Media in the UK  both offering HLG content over IP (trial).

 

To the Layman this suggests all that needs to be done is to alter the uplink to send the HEVC bt2100 transmission and enable the appropriate gamut on the Q box via software, they will already have experience of this from  the sky italia workflow, this is simplifying it though. I believe if Sky could have been ready sooner they would. The Start of the Football season along with HDR would have been a huge driver for sales.

 

Orange ferraris etc was nothing to do with Sky, it was the host broadcaster adapting to using HLG in conditions of variable light. If i recall it happened during practice at Melbourne in March and was sorted out for qualifying.

 

cheers

 

 

Sound Designer
Posts: 104
Post 30 of 66
1,432 Views

Re: HDR Update 2019?!


@gpr1978 wrote:

I think a big reason Italy got HDR was because they had only just launched there version of the Q silver box. It made little sense to set the back end up for SDR to then alter it all within a relativly short timeline for HDR.

 

More importantly though this tells us that outside broadcast studios are currently using HLG within there workflow, including whoever Sky  use for there epl coverage. The standard has been set in stone since the back end of 2016. Sky Italia,HD+,NPO,NOS and Fransat are all offering HLG/HDR content via sat. With the BBC and Virgin Media in the UK  both offering HLG content over IP (trial).

 

To the Layman this suggests all that needs to be done is to alter the uplink to send the HEVC bt2100 transmission and enable the appropriate gamut on the Q box via software, they will already have experience of this from  the sky italia workflow, this is simplifying it though. I believe if Sky could have been ready sooner they would. The Start of the Football season along with HDR would have been a huge driver for sales.

 

Orange ferraris etc was nothing to do with Sky, it was the host broadcaster adapting to using HLG in conditions of variable light. If i recall it happened during practice at Melbourne in March and was sorted out for qualifying.

 

cheers

 

 


That is why I was surprised they didn’t roll it out for the new season. As you say, it would have been great marketing. Off the back of the World Cup & customers who watched it in UHD HLG. 

Reply
Recommended Threads
08-12-2018 07:27 PM
09-11-2018 10:38 AM
26-07-2018 06:01 PM
11-09-2018 08:00 PM
Community Manager 17-08-2018 11:31 AM