HDR Update 2019?!

Sound Designer
Post 1 of 66

HDR Update 2019?!

I’ve started a new thread, as my previous one had been taken over by broadband posts. Please only reply in reference to HDR. 

What an absolute joke. Sky Italia have had HDR since May, now we have to wait until 2019, at some point! Probably, December 2019. After the World Cup, Wimbledon & UHD Blu Ray’s with HDR, watching the F1, the soon to start Premiereship & Sky Cinema in SDR, all look so poor in comparison. I’m paying £72 at month for the full package. I cannot understand the delay?!

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 66

Re: HDR Update 2019?!

@atann Sky trialled HDR in a small market in Italy perhaps they found out issues that need resolving? Some people rather naively assume you just have to through a switch and voila it all works. Instead it is a tad more complex to equip, test and sign off a broadcast system when not everything works as you want first time and you can get unexpected glitches whatever the armchair experts might think.

They aren't holding it up to spite you. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Oracle
Post 3 of 66

@atann wrote:

I’ve started a new thread, as my previous one had been taken over by broadband posts. Please only reply in reference to HDR. 

What an absolute joke. Sky Italia have had HDR since May, now we have to wait until 2019, at some point! Probably, December 2019. After the World Cup, Wimbledon & UHD Blu Ray’s with HDR, watching the F1, the soon to start Premiereship & Sky Cinema in SDR, all look so poor in comparison. I’m paying £72 at month for the full package. I cannot understand the delay?!

Hi @atann Im sure Sky have good reason to delay the launch, I don't know the reason but I'm quite confident they will want it released as soon as possible. 

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Post 4 of 66

@atann wrote:

Whilst I'm disappointed in the delay as I was hoping for implementaion this year I really can't wind myself up to the point of distraction and describe it as "an absolute joke" like @atann  does.  Dear me lol.  I'm quite prepared to wait if necessary and particularly if Sky are experiencing difficulties.  Let Italy be beta testers if that's what it takes.  This forum will implode on itself if HDR is released and found to be wanting and glitchy.  The hatred spat at each other and Sky will reach epic proportions LOL.   So, disappointed?  Absolutely as I was very much looking forward to it.  Absolute joke?  No of course not.  Chill people. Smiley Wink

Executive Producer
Post 5 of 66

Plus I suspect there will be all sorts of compatibility issues with old TVs (anything older than 1 year or so)

There already seem to be problems with Amazon Prime videos where some in HDR are not watchable at all.

Production Supervisor
Post 6 of 66

@atann wrote:

@atann Why is Sky the only one at fault here? 

If our expensive 4K tv's weren't connected to the Sky Box how would we watch HDR/HLG content Yes we have been spoilt by the World Cup and Wimbledon via the IPlayer app but your not happy about Sky delaying the HDR update until 2019 and the next World Cup isn't until 2022. 

Apologies but broadband needs to be fast enough to deliver a live stream continuously without constant buffering issues but feel free to correct me.

Sound Designer
Post 7 of 66

It would be interesting to know why it's not been possible to intorduce movies in HDR to download now or before now.  I can understand the delay in live broadcast HDR.

At the end of the day we get HDR via Sky Q when we get it but I thought we would've had movies in HDR to download by now.

Oracle
Oracle
Post 8 of 66

@best+of+the+best wrote:

@atann wrote:

@atann Why is Sky the only one at fault here? 

If our expensive 4K tv's weren't connected to the Sky Box how would we watch HDR/HLG content Yes we have been spoilt by the World Cup and Wimbledon via the IPlayer app but your not happy about Sky delaying the HDR update until 2019 and the next World Cup isn't until 2022. 

Apologies but broadband needs to be fast enough to deliver a live stream continuously without constant buffering issues but feel free to correct me.

Via Netflix and Amazon Prime is how I watch 4k HDR on a 24 mb line. Anyway I am disappointed in the length of time it takes for new innovations to be deployed but better they  get it right than screw it up. I recall choosing OnDigital over Sky Digital when I was invited to test their box now that was a disaster rushed out before it was ready for use. So I’ll wait.

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Q - full package

imagebam.com
First Assistant Director
Post 9 of 66

@thumbs83 wrote:

It would be interesting to know why it's not been possible to intorduce movies in HDR to download now or before now.  I can understand the delay in live broadcast HDR.

At the end of the day we get HDR via Sky Q when we get it but I thought we would've had movies in HDR to download by now.

IIRC the HDR movies available on Sky Italia are HLG HDR so we will still need the HLG update first. Even if Sky wanted to offer content in HDR10 the boxes will still need to be updated to pass the metadata. It would also require Sky to provide two versions of the movie, one for HDR sets and one for SDR sets whereas HLG just requires one version.

Post 10 of 66

It's a shame Sky couldn't offer 2 seperate downloads for movies.  One for UHD HDR and one for UHD SDR.  Only making HDR avaialable to download if your TV supports HDR.  Until they sort out HLG HDR.

Sounds really easy in my head.  I know in reality it's probably not.

Oracle
Post 11 of 66

The delay is disappointing, for sure. However HDR is an innovation which hasn't been available before and its absence up to now hasn't made the quality and content of the programmes I watch any less appealing. I look forward to it, but am happy to wait patiently.

Oracle
Post 12 of 66

Hi @thumbs83 Sky are a broadcaster first and foremost and while streaming services like Netflix and Amazon can and do have multiple copies in the various HDR formats with the TV's app identifing what that TV can handle that doesnt work with a set top box like Q. Only a small percentage of customers can watch UHD and only a proportion of those can watch HDR split those further by type it becomes totally uneconomic. 

The solution is HLG which can use the same stream for HDR and SDR. The iPlayer trials with the the World Cup and Wimbledon were the first large scale UK trial of the technology in the wild. Sky will have been watching those as well as the BBC with reports from viewers including reports of pictures on their TVs being too dark etcetc. Sky have data from their Sky Italia trial. Some reports from there indicate issues with colour - orange Ferraris etc. We will have to be patient I am afraid.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 13 of 66

Why can we not have HLG rolled out as Sky Italia with the option to turn it on ( with a disclaimer)? If viewers are unhappy with these issues they can turn it off or not turn it on.. Sky seem to be spending more time working on features such as Sky without a dish . This does not seem to have slipped to 2019. Which is about attracting more new customers rather than improving the quality for existing dish users. I personally think we have waited too long for a premium service that the BBC seem to be providing for no cost and every online streamer is providing now! Time to be looking to online for my content me thinks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Post 14 of 66

@Mark+Lawrence+72 wrote:

Why can we not have HLG rolled out as Sky Italia with the option to turn it on ( with a disclaimer)? If viewers are unhappy with these issues they can turn it off or not turn it on.. Sky seem to be spending more time working on features such as Sky without a dish . This does not seem to have slipped to 2019. Which is about attracting more new customers rather than improving the quality for existing dish users. I personally think we have waited too long for a premium service that the BBC seem to be providing for no cost and every online streamer is providing now! Time to be looking to online for my content me thinks.

@Mark+Lawrence+72   You appear to misunderstand the offering from the BBC.  They aren't at this time offering HDR at all.  They have recently carried out some experimental test broadcasts on the BBC iplayer beta and some test broadcasting of the recent World Cup Finals and Wimbledon.   That can hardly be described as providing a premium service.   Do you have any details as to which, when, how and what the BBC are doing now or intend in the future to offer a premium HDR service?  I'd be interested to know please.

Oracle
Post 15 of 66

@Mark+Lawrence+72 wrote:

Hi Smiley Happy At no cost? What about the the high price for the TV licence?

Recommended Threads
08-12-2018 07:27 PM
09-11-2018 10:38 AM
26-07-2018 06:01 PM
11-09-2018 08:00 PM
Community Manager 17-08-2018 11:31 AM