Discussion topic: Existing customer Switching From Sky Q to Sky Stream Online

This message was authored by -SeanR- This message was authored by: -SeanR-

Existing customer Switching From Sky Q to Sky Stream Online

Having been totally unimpressed with Sky Q via a 1TB non UHD/HDR box which regulary freezes, frequently kicks me out of the inbuilt apps and has questionably no better picture quality on our 85" 4K TV than the old Sky+ HD box we used to have, I am either going to switch to Sky stream or leave Sky all together when my contract ends at the end of August.

Why is it as an existing customer I only have the option to upgrade to Sky Glass online?  I can't hang on the phone while at work (patients won't be happy!) and unsocialble hours mean customer services aren't open when I can.

Is there an easy way to do this?

I would pay towards a box upgrade but it's dead money if the satelites will only be operational for 5 years or so - assuming Sky are still around then.

Best Answers
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

Re: Existing customer Switching From Sky Q to Sky Stream Online

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @-SeanR- 

I have just tried switching to Sky Stream from Sky Q - not completely intuitive but no problem on the sky.com site apart from the fact it would cost me £20 more a month for the same package!!

1. Log on to sky.com

2. At the very top left, click on the TV dropdown list.

3. Choose Stream

4. Click on Get Sky Stream

5. Still interested in moving to Sky Stream?

6. Click on Get Started.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

Hi @-SeanR- 

I have just tried switching to Sky Stream from Sky Q - not completely intuitive but no problem on the sky.com site apart from the fact it would cost me £20 more a month for the same package!!

1. Log on to sky.com

2. At the very top left, click on the TV dropdown list.

3. Choose Stream

4. Click on Get Sky Stream

5. Still interested in moving to Sky Stream?

6. Click on Get Started.

-SeanR-
Topic Author

I followed everything to the letter - and it gave me a screen saying:

Thanks for showing your interest in Sky Stream.

As a SkyQ customer, you already enjoy the best TV experience. The award winning Sky Glass gives you the flexibility to playlist your favourite shows across multiple platforms and watch in pixel perfect quality.

I then just have an 'Explore Sky glass' button

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @-SeanR-   The direct URL is Sky Stream

I don't know why I should be different, mind you I have had Sky Q for 8 years so perhaps they think I have had my use of the equipment.

Edit: Or more likely that they would get an extra £20 a month from me. There is no opportunity to downgrade the package during the ordering process.

This message was authored by Neil+Essex This message was authored by: Neil+Essex

 I can also now upgrade to sky stream online from sky q . When I click on get started I get this . 

IMG_3292.png

Sky Q 2TB HDR Box & 1 Mini Box
Sky Signature with Netflix
Sky Sports Complete Pack
TNT Sports
Sky Cinema
MUTV
Sky Multiscreen
HD & UHD Pack

Virgin Media Gig 1 Broadband
-SeanR-
Topic Author

Thank you all.

For some reason I tried again over the weekend and it did take me through to the order screen but as others ahev already said, any offers you have drop off.  I'll see what happens when I end my contract next month thjough I don't think  it'll make any difference to be honest.  While I hope loyalty is rewarded (I'm not looking for free - just a slight reduction!) I'm not holding my breath.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@-SeanR- wrote:

and has questionably no better picture quality on our 85" 4K TV than the old Sky+ HD box we used to have

I'd observe that a non-UHD main Q box would be within a year of manufacture of a late model Sky + HD unit, and unlikely to produce a significantly 'better' picture.  It's your television doing the upscaling to 4K and trying to fill that very large panel.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by chris1518 This message was authored by: chris1518

My contract ended last month, my bill this month £160. The projected bill for next month (November) £173. I phoned  sky up yesterday 1/10/24, when eventually I got through to someone, it was a chap in India. Bad line and language problems took a while. But he said £135 was the lowest he could do, all on a 24 month contract. I turned 66 in July so I can't promise to be able to afford that when I eventually retire. You used to be able to cancel certain parts of sky online, not now you have to phone them up, so I have made my mind up to cancel the whole package starting with broad band. The lad on the phone said he would put a marker on my account because on the 10th of this month there will be new deals being announced. Well not on broadband for me, the thing I find annoying is having to pay for HD and 4K Ultra reception. I'm just looking at sky stream now that's how I finished up on this page. But like someone says it isn't straight forward. So it looking like a Freeview android box /recorder box, with apps like Discovery + and Paramount. And back to Netflix. Sad but I ain't prepared to pay what they want to charge. 

This message was authored by chris1518 This message was authored by: chris1518

The whole customer service bit with sky is poor, from phone calls to online attempts to sort things out. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion