Does the SkyQ fan run all the time?

Runner
Post 16 of 46

Re: Does the SkyQ fan run all the time?

My sky box makes an awful noise too.

Can't bare to be in the same room as it.

Producer
Post 17 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

Sky engineer has just been - heard the fan noise and that it was running all the time. Tried a replacement 1TB box and that made the same noise.  

Going to see if SKy will send me out a 2TB to try that.

When you call Sky to sort out swapping to a 2TB box, don't forget to mention that you've had a noise 1TB box and the engineer swapped it and the other box was just as noisy and that the engineer also heard the same noise. Also mention the fan runs 24/7 since the new firmware. Maybe that will get you a 2TB box at a reduced cost.
Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Boom Operator
Post 18 of 46

They came out and tried another 1TB box - still noisy - and then tried a 2TB box - which was better but still not as quiet as my old Sky+ box and still to noticeable for me.  I’ve ended up going back to Sky+HD box and it’s so lovely and quiet.  SkyQ interface was nice but I don’t miss it enough for the noise increase.

Producer
Post 19 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

They came out and tried another 1TB box - still noisy - and then tried a 2TB box - which was better but still not as quiet as my old Sky+ box and still to noticeable for me.  I’ve ended up going back to Sky+HD box and it’s so lovely and quiet.  SkyQ interface was nice but I don’t miss it enough for the noise increase.

The 2TB boxes are not all noisy. I have a V1 2TB box and it is very quiet. Sorry you went back to +HD instead of pursuing the 2TB Q box.
Boom Operator
Post 20 of 46

I’ll move back at some point - probably get a different cabinet to hid any future noise issues.

Producer
Post 21 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

I’ll move back at some point - probably get a different cabinet to hid any future noise issues.

That's a very bad idea. The Q box needs good air flow and a cabinet (mostly) won't have good enough air flow to keep the box from overheating.

Boom Operator
Post 22 of 46

Yep, understand that - but you can still get a cabinet with good airflow that would help mitigate the fan noise better than an open front.

Oracle
Post 23 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

Yep, understand that - but you can still get a cabinet with good airflow that would help mitigate the fan noise better than an open front.

Hi @Silverye Keeping a SKYQ box in a cabinet, could overheat the box and therefore the cooling fan would constantly run to keep the box cool!

Which could account for the constant noise from the box you used to have.

Boom Operator
Post 24 of 46

My SKyQ box didn’t run in a cabinet. - it was sitting on a stone shelf with air all around..

Executive Producer
Post 25 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

My SKyQ box didn’t run in a cabinet. - it was sitting on a stone shelf with air all around..

A stone shelf is good for conducting heat away but lousy for noise suppression, have you tried some little felt feet under the box or anti-slip mesh matting to stop/reduce the vibration.

Boom Operator
Post 26 of 46

Yes, tried that too after reading some of the threads on here.  Anyway, SkyQ box returned and happy with the old Sky+ box.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Camera Operator
Post 27 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

Yes, tried that too after reading some of the threads on here.  Anyway, SkyQ box returned and happy with the old Sky+ box.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

So you were able to go back to SKY Q even though some people are adamant on here that its not possible to do so. I want to go back to SKY+ But if I break the 12 month contract then I will have to pay for every week that is left on the contract.

SKY+ HD Amstrad DRX895 (Old model) 2TB
LG 43UK6400 Web OS 4.10.40
Sony STR DN1020
Boom Operator
Post 28 of 46

I was fortunate in that I was within my 14 day cooling off period.

Camera Operator
Post 29 of 46

You are very very lucky then. I have SLYQ with over two months and I still hate it. I have to wait until 8th November and hope I can go back to my old SKY+ Box

SKY+ HD Amstrad DRX895 (Old model) 2TB
LG 43UK6400 Web OS 4.10.40
Sony STR DN1020
Executive Producer
Post 30 of 46

@steve30x wrote:

You are very very lucky then. I have SLYQ with over two months and I still hate it. I have to wait until 8th November and hope I can go back to my old SKY+ Box

You hate it?

strange you’ve never mentioned it before! 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes