Does the SkyQ fan run all the time?

Boom Operator
Post 1 of 46

Does the SkyQ fan run all the time?

Just had SkyQ installed after having a Sky+ box for years. Love the interface and features but the fan seems to run on the box (1tb) even when it's on standby and not recording anything. It's sitting on a stone surface with lots of ventilation. 

I've done some searching but is the fan being on ALL the time a standard feature?  Having a low droning fan noise all the time when the TV and Sky it turned off when working or reading in the room is a real pain.

Thanks.

All Replies
Executive Producer
Post 2 of 46

Re: Does the SkyQ fan run all the time?

@Silverye wrote:

Just had SkyQ installed after having a Sky+ box for years. Love the interface and features but the fan seems to run on the box (1tb) even when it's on standby and not recording anything. It's sitting on a stone surface with lots of ventilation. 

I've done some searching but is the fan being on ALL the time a standard feature?  Having a low droning fan noise all the time when the TV and Sky it turned off when working or reading in the room is a real pain.

Thanks.

A whole thread in the link below

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/sky-box-noise-since-update/td-p/2915021

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Boom Operator
Post 3 of 46

Thanks - I did find that one, but it wasn't obvious whether it was just noisier after the update or whether pre-update fans used to run all the time or whether they were silent/off.

Boom Operator
Post 4 of 46

On a chat session with Sky just now - they say that their box has the fan on all the time but it's quiet enough for them not to notice.  Engineer coming out this Wednesday to check mine and swap the box out. If our box is as loud as normal boxes then we will be swapping back to Sky+.  Hope that doens't happen.

Executive Producer
Post 5 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

On a chat session with Sky just now - they say that their box has the fan on all the time but it's quiet enough for them not to notice.  Engineer coming out this Wednesday to check mine and swap the box out. If our box is as loud as normal boxes then we will be swapping back to Sky+.  Hope that doens't happen.

I don't know if he is right but unless my box is doing something there is no noise what so ever V2 2TB box, I don't remember my V1 box being any noisier.

Different when doing something but mine is only just noticeable.

Executive Producer
Post 6 of 46

@Silverye wrote:

How about getting a. 2TB box as problem doesn’t seems to exist with those boxes (plus far better box) 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Boom Operator
Post 7 of 46

Thanks for the responses - I'll ask about the 2TB box option

Boom Operator
Post 8 of 46

i was thinking about upgrading to the2tb box in order to 'fix' the fan probllem with the 1Tb version as it looks like Sky arent bothered about it too much. But i dont see why i should have to pay extra to fix a problem that Sky introduced with the last software update. 

It is defintely much noiser than before, it used to be fairly quiet, (almost silent) , but now you can clearly hear it running all the time (its a constant humming, sounds almost like having there a fridge the room!). 

It started immediately after the software update, and only affects 1tb boxes.

there are more comments about the issue in the other thread 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/sky-box-noise-since-update/td-p/2915021

Boom Operator
Post 9 of 46

Yes, I'm expecting the engineer on Wednesday to say they are all like that and I expect the replacement will make the same noise.  At this point in time I'm expecting I'll go back to the old Sky+ box....   I can't see them fixing the issue via a new software update within my 14 day cooling off period.

Camera Assistant
Post 10 of 46

Hopefully they will fix it in a future update. Looking at previous release dates there is likely to be another update in the next 1-2 months to correct any issues found in the latest release. 

The fan noise is irritating and it's disappointing that Sky haven't acknowledged the problem yet. 

Oracle
Post 11 of 46

@xenon81 wrote:

Hopefully they will fix it in a future update. Looking at previous release dates there is likely to be another update in the next 1-2 months to correct any issues found in the latest release. 

The fan noise is irritating and it's disappointing that Sky haven't acknowledged the problem yet. 

Hi @xenon81 @Silverye Try rebooting your broadband router by removing the power cable for 30 sec then reconnect, wait for the router to fully reboot, then do the same with your SKYQ box, see if that makes any difference?

Boom Operator
Post 12 of 46

Thanks - I'll give that a shot.

I've tried that before just with the SkyQ box itself (no difference) and the box is hard wired (ethernet) rather than connecting to the router via wifi.

Boom Operator
Post 13 of 46

Sky engineer has just been - heard the fan noise and that it was running all the time. Tried a replacement 1TB box and that made the same noise.  

Going to see if SKy will send me out a 2TB to try that.

Executive Producer
Post 14 of 46

It’s a shame that Sky don’t acknowledge that since the latest software update the fan runs on the 1TB box all the time. I assume it is all 1TB  boxes? 🤔

Boom Operator
Post 15 of 46

The new one the engineers tired had the noise. Perhaps I'm just picker than most - though the engineer did notice it on both boxes too.  I wonder if they found they were experiencing over-heating issues and decided that making the fan run all the time would mitigate a lot of those issues from arising. 

Recommended Threads
16 minutes ago 03:08 PM
31 minutes ago 02:53 PM
2 hours ago 01:52 PM
buchacher 2 hours ago 01:18 PM
3 hours ago 12:34 PM