Discussion topic: Does Sky q box act as a wifi hub ?

This message was authored by Charlie+64 This message was authored by: Charlie+64

Does Sky q box act as a wifi hub ?

Had our sky q box replaced recently as the old one gave up the ghost

The new one works great, but my question is 

Does the sky q box act as a wifi hub, if we turn the box off ( orange light ) our wifi turns off about 3am

Also our wifi signal is weaker than before so think other equipment is connecting through the box instead of the router ( which is better located in the centre of the house )

I turned off wifi on the box as it is connected via ethernet and the box was fine but nothing else had a wifi signal.

Didn't have this problem on the old box, so how can i stop this and make the sky router broadcast the wifi.

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Does Sky q box act as a wifi hub ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Charlie+64 wrote:

Does the sky q box act as a wifi hub, if we turn the box off ( orange light ) our wifi turns off about 3am

Also our wifi signal is weaker than before so think other equipment is connecting through the box instead of the router ( which is better located in the centre of the house )

I turned off wifi on the box as it is connected via ethernet and the box was fine but nothing else had a wifi signal.

Didn't have this problem on the old box, so how can i stop this and make the sky router broadcast the wifi.

Hi @Charlie+64 

The Main Q box does not act as a hub but with Sky Broadband it does become a WiFi Hotspot and therefore available for other devices but only on the 2.4 Ghz band as far as I am aware.  (Not on Sky Broadband here)

The Sky Router however will transmit at both 5 Ghz and 2.4 GHZ.

Best to leave the main Q box WiFi on as it will create a WiFi mesh with the router.

Assume any devices you are using with WiFi are connected to the Router by WPS?

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Charlie+64 wrote:

Hi @Charlie+64 

The Main Q box does not act as a hub but with Sky Broadband it does become a WiFi Hotspot and therefore available for other devices but only on the 2.4 Ghz band as far as I am aware.  (Not on Sky Broadband here)

Best to leave the main Q box WiFi on as it will create a WiFi mesh with the router.

Charlie+64
Topic Author
This message was authored by Charlie+64 This message was authored by: Charlie+64

Thank you for your answer 

It seems other devices are connecting through the sky q box. Will try turning it off and see if I can connect through the router.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@oldfella wrote:

@Charlie+64 wrote:

Hi @Charlie+64 

With Sky Broadband the Sky Q Hotspot uses 5GHz too, on other ISPs it's 2.4GHz only.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@xenon81 wrote:

With Sky Broadband the Sky Q Hotspot uses 5GHz too, on other ISPs it's 2.4GHz only.

Thanks for confirming @xenon81 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion