Discussion topic: Do you have to download to watch on demand

This message was authored by Lylo This message was authored by: Lylo

Do you have to download to watch on demand

If I want to watch a film on demand do I have to download it, does Sky not just stream sometimes it takes 10 mins or more for it to download

All Replies

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: Do you have to download to watch on demand

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lylo wrote:

If I want to watch a film on demand do I have to download it, does Sky not just stream sometimes it takes 10 mins or more for it to download

Yes, you do. Depending on your broadband speed it should be available to start viewing after a couple of minutes 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@Lylo wrote:

Hi @Lylo   Yes, but you can watch it while it downloads. Depending on your broadband speed, you can start watching it after has buffered enough so your viewing is not disrupted. For me on 500 Mbps, it is just a few seconds.

Lylo
Topic Author
This message was authored by Lylo This message was authored by: Lylo

@oj01 thanks, i just assumed it would be like netflix were it just streams. Im wandering if my broard band speed is not so good as i say the other day it took 10mins to dowmload! Thanks for your reply x

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

Hi @Lylo   10 minutes to download or 10 minutes before you can start watching? 10 minutes is an incredible slow broadband. Probably best to stick to standard definition.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Lylo wrote:

@oj01 thanks, i just assumed it would be like netflix were it just streams. Im wandering if my broard band speed is not so good as i say the other day it took 10mins to dowmload! Thanks for your reply x

It does have it's advantages, particularly with slower broadband speeds. Once it is downloaded you can watch it uninterrupted because it's just playing from the HDD. If it were streaming with slow broadband you would get buffering. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion