Discussion topic: Do I need to connect my Main Sky Q box to the same POE switch as my Sky Minis?

This message was authored by Ryan- This message was authored by: Ryan-

Do I need to connect my Main Sky Q box to the same POE switch as my Sky Minis?

Sorry if this question has been asked before;

I've just moved into a new build, wifi speeds upstairs are terrible - sky tv works fine.

I currently get 300-400mb wireless downstairs but only around 30-70mb upstairs.

I'm currently in the process of having a 16CH Poe switch installed to which all my Sky Minis will be connected to alongside other things (tv's/xbox etc). Can my Sky Q Main box connect directly into the back of another port free on my Sky Router, or will this also need to feed from the POE switch?

Also, once all my equipment is connected via ethernet, will they all act as boosters (minis) straight away, or will I need to enable/disable some settings. I've seen people say you need to disable the wireless settings, are those settings just for the tv side of things, or if I disable those, does it cut its ability to work as a booster, as the wifi is off?

Many thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Do I need to connect my Main Sky Q box to the same POE switch as my Sky Minis?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ryan-  You can plug your Sky Q box directly into the port of the router, as your Network switch will also be plugged in to a port on the hub they should all work.

You may need to go into the setting menu on Q to reset the network and set it as wired.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Do I need to connect my Main Sky Q box to the same POE switch as my Sky Minis?

@Ryan- wrote:

Also, once all my equipment is connected via ethernet, will they all act as boosters (minis) straight away, or will I need to enable/disable some settings.

As Sky is your ISP, the Q television hardware will run as hotspots automatically

I've seen people say you need to disable the wireless settings, are those settings just for the tv side of things, or if I disable those, does it cut its ability to work as a booster, as the wifi is off?

Disabling Q WiFi stops all wireless functionality, including the hotspot/mesh

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Ryan-
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ryan- This message was authored by: Ryan-

Thanks for the super quick answers, both have answered my questions.

All the best,

Ryan.

This message was authored by Jwatson3 This message was authored by: Jwatson3

My Sky Q Main Box his hard wired to one of my Decco Satellite Units which runs on a wifi connection from the main Decco unit which is hardwired to my Virgin router. I have just had an extension put in and would like my Sky Q mini box to be hardwired as the distance between main box and mini box is causing issues. 

As I understand it, the if I am not a Sky Internet customer, I am required to hardwire the Mini Box to the Main box as opposed to directly to the router. With this in mind I had a cable run to facilitate this but the Main Q box only has one ethernet port. 

Question - Can I install a Switch/Splitter somehwere (At the Main Q Box?) that will enable me to hardwire both main box and mini box?

Thanks.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Yes, I have exactly that setup - minis via powerline ethernet into a switch which has the Q and a mesh node also attached.

This message was authored by Jwatson3 This message was authored by: Jwatson3

thanks!

So my proposed topology is below. Can you please confirm that if I order an unmanaged switch (also reccommendations welcome) will the to be work?

Jwatson3_0-1727290056450.png

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion