Discussion topic: DNS, HDR and losing the will to live...

This message was authored by Craigv9 This message was authored by: Craigv9

DNS, HDR and losing the will to live...

Recently changed my broadband provider away from Sky. This has given me the much documented 'remote network failure' when downloaded content on demand (Sky has two DNS servers for on demand and has only whitelisted my new ISP for one of them, so 50% of downloads fail)

Tried to explain this to the call centre, but the don't care / listen and decided to send an engineer out, despite me telling them it was pointless and trying to link them to the relevant post on their forums

So th gu came out, read the forum post, saw 50% of downloads fail and said, yeah, Sky and your ISP needs to talk to each other.

Do I now leave Sky? Because we all know this isn't going to be resolved!

Meanwhile, to cheer me up, he changed my box to the HDR one...my TV has HDR and works well with IPTV producing a verifiably HDR picture

So, I've spent a couple of hours downloading stuff I presume is HDR (it's not labelled HDR, but why would Sky help a customer out?!?), but it is UHD and various forums have linked me to films / series thst are HDR

The Sky test tells me my box is HDR, I know my TV is HDR, but it doesn't matter what I throw at it, it's not switching my TV to HDR mode..

Any ideas?

Just downloaded dTrue Detective, S4, ep 1, stated to be HDR...it plays it fine, just not in HDR...

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: DNS, HDR and losing the will to live...

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If it's not labelled both UHD and HDR, it's not HDR

edit: just saw you said true detective is labelled HDR - yeah, PandJ's question on 10bit output being selected?

You sure the original issue is DNS servers? Not something that usually gets "approved", unlike geo-IP locations.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Craigv9 wrote:

The Sky test tells me my box is HDR, I know my TV is HDR, but it doesn't matter what I throw at it, it's not switching my TV to HDR mode..

Any ideas?

Does the TV support HLG?

Have you set to 2160p/10bit?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Craigv9
Topic Author

I am set to 10 bit

I'm guessing my TV is not HLG compatible? 

It's HDR, but 20 years old so probably predates HLG

Will dig the manual out and check...

Thanks

Think I'll be leaving anyway, over the download issue!

@Craigv9 wrote:

It's HDR, but 20 years old so probably predates HLG

Are you sure it's actually HDR - as many sets had a 'pseudo' mode rather than genuine HDR.

Proper HDR in TV's hasn't been around 20 years...

Craigv9
Topic Author

Sorry...10 years old

Ths you for successfully answering this...Ve just checking in with A.I which tells me my model of TV predstes the HLG format so it's not compatible 

Given my other issue, which I know from the forums will never be resolved, it seems like my time with Sky is coming to an end

As a family, we've been with them from the start, but times change. They are not responsive to issues. They're probably no better or worse than anyone else, but when you are telling them there's a problem and they literally don't listen. When you're pointing them to a very detailed community post explaining the issue...and they won't look at it. When they send an engineer despite you telling them that it's like less to do so and when their only input is from an engineer saying: Your ISP will have to talk to Sky'...that's not a solution

The fox is simple. Sky need to whitelist my ISP so that I can access their own demand content via my new ISPs broadband

Its a tick box. But it's a box they won't tick...

@Craigv9 wrote:

Sorry...10 years old

Ths you for successfully answering this...Ve just checking in with A.I which tells me my model of TV predstes the HLG format so it's not compatible 

Given my other issue, which I know from the forums will never be resolved, it seems like my time with Sky is coming to an end

As a family, we've been with them from the start, but times change. They are not responsive to issues. They're probably no better or worse than anyone else, but when you are telling them there's a problem and they literally don't listen. When you're pointing them to a very detailed community post explaining the issue...and they won't look at it. When they send an engineer despite you telling them that it's like less to do so and when their only input is from an engineer saying: Your ISP will have to talk to Sky'...that's not a solution

The fox is simple. Sky need to whitelist my ISP so that I can access their own demand content via my new ISPs broadband

Which ISP is it? We've had this fixed for other people (on Starlink recently for example)

@Craigv9 wrote:

That's not true - we've seen such issues resolved on the forum.

I think we can escalate to the forum team but it may require your ISP involvement too.

Craigv9
Topic Author

My ISP is Kloud9

No one at Sky has shown th slightest inclination in fixing this

Is there someone I should be speaking to in order to get a resolution.

It does seem to me that I shouldnt have to spend dozens of hours being fobbed off when the solution is available and apparent?

It's VERY frustrating being a Sky customer

I've escalated this to Sky and they should be in touch with you soon about it.
Look out for a message from Sky on your email and Sky Community private messages.
Look out for the blue chat bubble within your Sky community.
More about an escalation here;

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/skyq/message-id/669820

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to @Craigv9 to chat.

Hmm

hope they can resolve but wondering if this is the issue with some DNS not getting the lookups propagated correctly for the ad-insertion services

rather than geo-blocked IP ranges.

if so changing to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 DNS might resolve it. No reason you have to use your ISP's DNS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion