Discussion topic: Connecting Sky Q with a Soundbar...........?

This message was authored by SpikeyC This message was authored by: SpikeyC

Connecting Sky Q with a Soundbar...........?

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of queries that I wonder if you could advise on please to see if I've got this right.

My main TV setup in the living room consists of a recently purchased Sony Tv and Sony soundbar. I've been having problems seeing the soundbar menu on the TV so have altered the setup configuration which now gives me this function but I need to check that I'm now not doing something that you guys think is incorrect!

The setup now is: Sky Q box connected directly into the HDMI 'in' port on the soundbar and then the HDMI ARC 'out' port on the soundbar connected to the HDMI ARC port on the TV...............is this correct as it isn't how Sky connected me when they installed the system (they connected Sky Q directly into the TV leaving the HDMI ARC port connecting to the soundbar)

I'm in the process of setting up another TV room using a Sky mini box, a new Panasonic TV and an older Sony soundbar that has no HDMI connection but does have an optical connection.. Would the best way to do this be to connect the mini boix to the HDMI ARC port on the TV and then connect the soundbar via optical into the Sky mini box or should the optical connection go from soundbar. to tv instead?

Any help on those 2 points would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Best Answers
SpikeyC
Topic Author
This message was authored by SpikeyC This message was authored by: SpikeyC Answer

Re: Connecting Sky Q with a Soundbar...........?

Thanks @Greenfingers001 , very kind of you to answer.

Yes that makes sense as I will be connecting a Blueray player directly into the tv so as you say this should use the soundbar for that as well........hopefully!

Thanks again for your quick reply👍

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Greenfingers001 This message was authored by: Greenfingers001

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @SpikeyC  the setup of your main system is already setup using the best option in my opinion. With the 2nd room i personally would choose optical out from tv to optical in on the soundbar, this way if you ever need to use another hdmi device on this tv, this will also output using the soundbar.  

Hope this helps

SpikeyC
Topic Author
This message was authored by SpikeyC This message was authored by: SpikeyC Answer

Thanks @Greenfingers001 , very kind of you to answer.

Yes that makes sense as I will be connecting a Blueray player directly into the tv so as you say this should use the soundbar for that as well........hopefully!

Thanks again for your quick reply👍

This message was authored by GWM1957 This message was authored by: GWM1957

Hi @Greenfingers001   I have recently treated myself to a Sony Bravia TV and a Sony HT ST5000 Dolby Atmos soundbar as a retirement present. Both TV and soundbar have an ARC hdmi connection . I have a 2tb Sky Q box. The Sony instruction manual shows Sky Q hdmi connected to soundbar hdmi, then soundbar ARC connected to TV ARC. Current configuration has Sky Q hdmi connected directly to TV hdmi, with TV ARC connected to soundbar ARC. Could someone please tell me what is the Sky recommended configuration. Are both options described above essentially two different ways to the same solution, or are there fundamental differences between the sound output of the two configurations? Trying to avoid marital discord, as we are due to get a plasterer to smooth over the buried cable trunking. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Hi @GWM1957   Sky Q -> ST-5000 -> TV.

This message was authored by liam+richardson This message was authored by: liam+richardson

Bought a LGOLED55CX6LA and connected to a LGSN7Y Soundbar. LG tell you to connect Arc from soudbar to arc TV and hdmi from sky to TV. Crying 😢  my eyes out as lip synch disaster.

Connect sky hdmi to soundbar hdmi and soundbar arc to TV arc. Change skyto dolby digital plus no lip sync issues. Shame on LG telling people to set up soundbar incorrect making people think they have wasted their money.

This message was authored by PaulPaulUK This message was authored by: PaulPaulUK

Hello

May I ask you about a sky q box vs soundbar vs sony tv setup query nefore I buy the soundbar please? 
thankyou

This message was authored by Tony+Potts This message was authored by: Tony+Potts

Thank you for this post. You just saved my returning my new LGSN11. The lip sync issues with Sky Q have gone completely by doing as you have. For anyone with Sky Q , make sure the sound bar you purchase has an HDMI in , as well as ARC (ERAC) out.  

This message was authored by reckless This message was authored by: reckless

Bear in mind that not all soundbars will pass through HDR. I'm in this position as if I connect Q to my TV and pass through audio to the soundbar my lipsync is out.  If I connect Q to my soundbar then the lipsync is fine and I still have 4k but not HDR.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion